Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cinnamon

Causes of Ocular Migraines

Cinnamon    23,011

What causes ocular migraines?

Highlights

Bright lights, loud sounds, and powerful odors are common triggers of ocular migraines.

A family history of migraine or ocular migraine increases your chances of having them.

Migraines have been linked to the hormone estrogen.

A migraine that involves visual disturbance is called an ocular migraine. Ocular migraines can develop with or without the accompanying pain of a classic migraine.

During an ocular migraine, or migraine with aura, you may see flashing or shimmering lights, zigzagging lines, or stars. Some people describe psychedelic images. It may also cause blind spots in your field of vision. Of people who report having migraines, one out of every five experiences this aura.

Ocular migraines can interfere with your ability to perform tasks like reading, writing, or driving. Symptoms are temporary and an ocular migraine is not considered a serious condition.

Ocular migraine is sometimes confused with retinal migraine, but they are two distinct conditions. A retinal migraine is rare and affects only one eye. Loss of vision in one eye can be a symptom of a more serious medical issue. If you have vision loss in one eye, you should seek medical attention to rule out any underlying conditions.

Exactly what causes ocular migraine is not known, but a personal or family history of migraines is a known risk factor. Doctors theorize that ocular migraine has the same causes as classic migraine.

<snip>

http://www.healthline.com/health/causes-of-ocular-migraines#overview1

majoga    429

I get these without the pain. First time I had one, I freaked and went straight to the doctor. He told me I was just going to have to accept that I was getting old lmao - thought I was having a stroke or something. Mine normally triggered by bright light - especially fluorescent. Good jolt of caffeine usually gets rid of it in short order.

Cinnamon    23,011
1 hour ago, majoga said:

I get these without the pain. First time I had one, I freaked and went straight to the doctor. He told me I was just going to have to accept that I was getting old lmao - thought I was having a stroke or something. Mine normally triggered by bright light - especially fluorescent. Good jolt of caffeine usually gets rid of it in short order.

It's not just older people who get them. Lots of people do, all ages. What's weird is they don't have any idea what causes them.