Jump to content
Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RhetoricalRebel

Sonic Booms? Boeing planning on hypersonic jets for commercial flights

Recommended Posts

 RhetoricalRebel    1,631

Boeing sees the day coming when you board a plane in New York and land two hours later in Shanghai, China.

"I think in the next decade or two you're going to see them become a reality," said Boeing Chairman and CEO Dennis Muilenburg.

Boeing expects hypersonic jets, flying at up to Mach 5, or 3,800 mph, could serve a small but important market of travelers willing to pay a premium to reach far-flung destinations in a fraction of the time it usually takes.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/19/boeing-planning-hypersonic-commercial-flights-within-a-decade.html

Of course there is no mention of sonic booms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Ukshep    20,200
1 minute ago, RhetoricalRebel said:

Boeing sees the day coming when you board a plane in New York and land two hours later in Shanghai, China.

"I think in the next decade or two you're going to see them become a reality," said Boeing Chairman and CEO Dennis Muilenburg.

Boeing expects hypersonic jets, flying at up to Mach 5, or 3,800 mph, could serve a small but important market of travelers willing to pay a premium to reach far-flung destinations in a fraction of the time it usually takes.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/19/boeing-planning-hypersonic-commercial-flights-within-a-decade.html

Of course there is no mention of sonic booms.

Maybe because this is a softening piece... 2 more years, maybe they'll say we trashed that idea as we found a faster way to travel and voila anti gravity tech :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 RhetoricalRebel    1,631
20 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

Maybe because this is a softening piece... 2 more years, maybe they'll say we trashed that idea as we found a faster way to travel and voila anti gravity tech :D

Expecting a visit from planet Vulcan? :alien:   Until then, its shake, rattle and roll.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 RhetoricalRebel    1,631
1 hour ago, Beethovens10th said:

 It was small and uncomfortable.....but cool as f**k

Except for the poor guy who has to replace all his windows..:grumph:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RhetoricalRebel said:

Except for the poor guy who has to replace all his windows..:grumph:

 

Took off from JFK.  They weren't allowed to hit supersonic until long outside the airspace. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×