This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

One Step Away

7.0 Mag Earthquake Rocks Mexico's Southern State of Chiapas AND High Risk of 9.0 Earthquakes!!

7.0mag earthquake rocks Mexico’s southern state of Chiapas (PHOTO)    --   (some downgraded to 6.9)

A 7.0 magnitude earthquake has struck off the coast of Chiapas, causing heavy damage to buildings and infrastructure in Mexico’s southern state.

The US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration report that the earthquake, which occurred at 2.29am local time Wednesday, struck at a depth of 61 miles. The agency said “there is no tsunami threat.”

Residents of the state are being urged to check their homes for structural damage after tremors measuring 6.7 in magnitude were felt along the Mexico-Guatemala border.  

SOURCE:  https://www.rt.com/news/392192-mexico-earthquake-guatemala-damage/

Also, on my earthquake app I received an alert of "HIGH RISK" of 9.0 for earthquakes!!   (I've never seen this before )

apache54    5,702
43 minutes ago, Sky Cat said:

8.0+ is coming soon, most likely within the next 2-3 weeks

:iagree:======= be prepared !!

garlic    2,639

LOL...I should have known. I woke up with a cracking headache this morning but wrote the symptoms off to that bottle of scotch I dove into last night.

A magnitude 6.9 earthquake in western Guatemala near the border with Mexico caused moderate damage to homes, triggered some landslides across highways and injured at least one person early Wednesday, officials said.

The U.S. Geological Survey reported the tremor was centered 5 miles southwest of Tajumulco, Guatemala about 69 miles below the surface.

Guatemala's emergency coordination agency said the quake struck at 1:29 a.m. local time in the department of San Marcos west of the capital near the Mexican border, but was felt throughout the country.

The country's National Civil Police said one person was injured in San Sebastian Retalhuelu in southern Guatemala when part of a church collapsed. Julio Sanchez of the volunteer firefighters said the man, who was passing by the church when the earthquake struck, was receiving care.

Authorities reported several departments, or states, without electricity.

More: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/guatemala-earthquake-landslides-mexico/