Sign in to follow this  
Cinnamon

Breaking: Puerto Rico Voters Overwhelmingly Say Yes to Statehood

PUERTO RICAN VOTERS BACK STATEHOOD IN QUESTIONED REFERENDUM

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) -- Puerto Rico's governor announced that the U.S. territory overwhelmingly chose statehood on Sunday in a nonbinding referendum held amid a deep economic crisis that has sparked an exodus of islanders to the U.S. mainland.

Nearly half a million votes were cast for statehood, about 7,600 for free association/independence and nearly 6,700 for the current territorial status, according to preliminary results. Voter turnout was just 23 percent, leading opponents to question the validity of a vote that several political parties had urged their supporters to boycott.

<snip>

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CB_PUERTO_RICO_STATEHOOD?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-06-11-17-26-34

Senate has say over their status... if it's bad for the rest of us, Puerto Rico will be a state by next week! lol 

• Like 3

I say Puerto Rico can be a state if they can figure out how to build a bridge to Miami.

On second thought, lets put that island up for sale on Ebay.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CGK said:

I say Puerto Rico can be a state if they can figure out how to build a bridge to Miami.

On second thought, lets put that island up for sale on Ebay.

They are bankrupt, so much their bonds are failing... we need another dependent. Not.

• Like 1

The USA is already on the hook for their debt. Not just PR but the rest of the US territories as well. They are citizens so I can't see it as a bad thing. One step closer to to 57. :gsbrnint:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

They are bankrupt, so much their bonds are failing... we need another dependent. Not.

I know that...I'm being sarcastic.

Remember this? 70 billion in debt? PR, you are not too big to fail..so go ahead and fail and we cant help you!

Hillary Clinton claims victory in Puerto Rico and edges closer to nomination

<snip>

Voters were mostly concerned with the island’s debilitating economic crisis, with a 45% poverty rate and 12% unemployment among its 3.5 million people.

Clinton and Sanders have both visited Puerto Rico and promised to help restructure the government’s $70bn worth of debt. Last year, the governor said the debt, largely to Wall Street hedge funds, was impossible to pay, while those who hold the debt have called for severe austerity cuts to education and healthcare.

More: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/06/hillary-clinton-puerto-rico-bernie-sanders-nomination

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CGK said:

I know that...I'm being sarcastic.

Remember this? 70 billion in debt? PR, you are not too big to fail..so go ahead and fail and we cant help you!

Hillary Clinton claims victory in Puerto Rico and edges closer to nomination

<snip>

Voters were mostly concerned with the island’s debilitating economic crisis, with a 45% poverty rate and 12% unemployment among its 3.5 million people.

Clinton and Sanders have both visited Puerto Rico and promised to help restructure the government’s $70bn worth of debt. Last year, the governor said the debt, largely to Wall Street hedge funds, was impossible to pay, while those who hold the debt have called for severe austerity cuts to education and healthcare.

More: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/06/hillary-clinton-puerto-rico-bernie-sanders-nomination

You can look at island nations and really see a microcosm of what's happening in larger nations... like ours. Only difference is we can keep on selling bonds because we're the least of the evils, one day we won't have that luxury? 

39 minutes ago, CGK said:

With an average IQ of 84 and extremely high rates of HIV I think that would hold them back for awhile.

Puerto Rico has some of the most concerning HIV/AIDS statistics in the United States. The following data only begin to describe the HIV/AIDS crisis on the island:
https://www.aidsunited.org/Programs-0024-Grantmaking/Puerto-Rico.aspx

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carnivalpunk said:

The USA is already on the hook for their debt. Not just PR but the rest of the US territories as well. They are citizens so I can't see it as a bad thing. One step closer to to 57. :gsbrnint:

Maybe he just had a burger with chemical-laden Heinz 57 ketchup! ...er, tomato seasoning

Puerto Rico is already a dependent.  A PR resident can collect welfare as long as they want.  They do not pay in to social security or unemployment.  But they get to draw it.  They do not pay federal income tax.  They just screwed themselves.

In a landslide vote Sunday, Puerto Rican voters approved a referendum that stated the Caribbean territory ought to request statehood.

The Wall Street Journal reported that 97 percent of voters who went to the polls said the island should become the nation’s 51st state. However, there was historically-low turnout for the vote; only 23 percent of registered voters cast a ballot amid a boycott from two out of three of Puerto Rico’s major political parties, which could hinder efforts for Washington to recognize Puerto Rico as a state.

http://conservativetribune.com/puerto-rico-voted-statehood/

Get ready for a new state??

1 hour ago, Ukshep said:

In a landslide vote Sunday, Puerto Rican voters approved a referendum that stated the Caribbean territory ought to request statehood.

The Wall Street Journal reported that 97 percent of voters who went to the polls said the island should become the nation’s 51st state. However, there was historically-low turnout for the vote; only 23 percent of registered voters cast a ballot amid a boycott from two out of three of Puerto Rico’s major political parties, which could hinder efforts for Washington to recognize Puerto Rico as a state.

http://conservativetribune.com/puerto-rico-voted-statehood/

Get ready for a new state??

Puerto Ricans are actually very conservative. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.