Sign in to follow this  
Ukshep

Has the 'Wow!' signal finally been solved?

Scientists now believe that the mysterious 1977 space signal had actually come from a passing comet.

The internet is buzzing today over new evidence from Antonio Paris – an adjunct professor of astronomy at St. Petersburg College, Florida and ex-analyst of the U.S. Department of Defense – suggesting that the famous 1977 Wow! signal was most likely generated by a comet. The Wow! signal was detected on August 15, 1977 at the Big Ear Radio Observatory in Ohio, during a search for signs of extraterrestrial intelligence. The signal was unusual, and, when reviewing the data a few days later, astronomer Jerry Ehman wrote “Wow!” next to it. Since then, for 40 years, some have claimed the signal was made by aliens. Others have said a star caused it. Many people theorized as to what might have caused the signal, but there has been no agreed-upon explanation.

Paris and his team learned that two comets, 266P/Christensen and P/2008 Y2 (Gibbs), were passing through the part of the sky the Big Ear Radio Observatory was surveying in 1977, when the Wow! signal was noticed. These astronomers believe the signal came from a hydrogen cloud accompanying one or the other comet. This idea would explain why the Wow! signal was not measured again: the comet that caused it moved on in its orbit.

Paris admits it is not certain that the Wow! signal was generated by Comet 266/P Christensen; however, his team concludes that the 1977 Wow! signal was a natural phenomenon generated by a comet.

http://earthsky.org/space/wow-signal-explained-comets-antonio-paris

Personally I think this is a good solid reason for the signal If it is true. However I do not trust these claims so easily. nevertheless it is very plausible. So what do you guys and gals think about this as a viable explanation for the WOW Signal!

Possible! I am still in a gray area trying to figure out how one or both comets, traveling through this hydrogen cloud, produce radio waves? Add to this, if it was possible, why didn't this radio observatory pick up something again in some distant galaxy? I am sure space bodies - planets, dwarf planets, meteors, comets - would had produced the same results for Big Ear to pick up on for another WOW. I don't know, but I am saying it's "Possible." 

17 minutes ago, RockyMtnXpress said:

Possible! I am still in a gray area trying to figure out how one or both comets, traveling through this hydrogen cloud, produce radio waves? Add to this, if it was possible, why didn't this radio observatory pick up something again in some distant galaxy? I am sure space bodies - planets, dwarf planets, meteors, comets - would had produced the same results for Big Ear to pick up on for another WOW. I don't know, but I am saying it's "Possible." 

It brings up more questions than it answers for me. Biggest of all being why have they not seen it replicated with other comets..

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.