Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

octopus prime

"Smart" Cities are Watching You

http://www.prophecynewswatch.com/article.cfm?recent_news_id=1286

Cities around the country are quickly adapting "smart" technologies in efforts to bring about greater efficiency, reduce crime, identify at-risk areas, improve traffic, ensuring adequate downtown parking, and accomplish many more solutions to everyday big city problems.

This greater efficiency, though, may come at a prohibitive cost for the citizens. In fact, it's leading many citizens to take notice and begin asking questions on their own.

Consider these potential pros and cons and get involved in the conversation in your community before agreeing to go "smart" for various vital operations and infrastructures that will affect your life and the lives of your family.

What Types of Technology do Smart Cities Employ?

The term Smart City means different things to different people. For instance, the city of San Diego recently installed well over 3,200 cameras and microphones throughout the city so they could engage in large-scale use of this surveillance technology.

A mock-up Smart City located in the wilderness of New Mexico has tested the use of Stingray cell phone surveillance towers, Bluetooth monitoring, surveillance cameras, license plate readers, microphones, and more.

All of these technologies are being perfected under the guise of improving the lives of citizens, but there are many who believe, from the focus of Smart City spending, that the actual goals are a little more sinister.

(Cut)

Ukshep    20,202

They ain't watching me. I'm Invisible!

YourMom2    1,354

Who pays for all this surveillance? Oh wait, I know this one.

I don't get how spying "improves" the lives of citizens. Does the camera have a long arm that pops out and smacks the shit out of dumbasses and criminals? I think not.

apache54    4,918
6 minutes ago, YourMom2 said:

I don't get how spying "improves" the lives of citizens. Does the camera have a long arm that pops out and smacks the shit out of dumbasses and criminals? I think not.

:iagree:=======the smart criminals KNOW where the cameras are, only the really drugged out ones get caught and the cameras show who is at fault in traffic wrecks, but for the most part are just another invasion of our privacy and another step towards total control of us!!

VonLud    858
14 minutes ago, YourMom2 said:

I like this.

Mechanized pop-up device that grabs by the collar and slaps and/or shakes criminal into fetal position.

Or just roll out Robocop already.

I would like that.

"Serve the public trust"

"Protect the innocent"

"Uphold the law"

But some ahole would insert directive 4.

"Do my bidding".:angry:

Automan63    2,211

"Smart" is code for spy

I tell people that and they look at me like I'm nuts until I ask them when's the last time they "coincidently" had a conversation about some particular product, never did any kind of net search on any device, but now, all of the sudden, ads for said product appear in their email and in banners of the web pages they read...

then their eyes go wide and I stop talking, nuff said

26 minutes ago, Lucy Barnable said:

One more reason to stay out of cities.

But all is well citizen....it's for the greater good after all. And the children, don't forget about the children.

Lucy Barnable    5,048
9 minutes ago, octopus prime said:

But all is well citizen....it's for the greater good after all. And the children, don't forget about the children.

Oh yeah... the children... 
That's why I got a parking ticket when I payed for parking and had the printed out thing displayed in my window.
The parking ticket was under the windshield wiper covering the receipt for parking I stuck to the inside of the window.
Now if only that city was a smart city all that would have been recorded and I could just take a pic of it on my smart phone.
Then send it to the cop shop via text and they would go 'oh cool, you don't owe anything and whoever gave ticket will be fired'.
Okay, you've totally convinced me smart cities are the way to go... it's best for the children who will one day be drivers and parkers.

Tarmalen    1,310

Not to be a Debbie Downer...but after experiencing hundreds of imaginations of the future via scifi writers....and now real life.....surveillance in public places is a plus.

Private means private...but public also means...public.

Not a hard concept to treat others as you want to be treated.

5 minutes ago, Tarmalen said:

Not to be a Debbie Downer...but after experiencing hundreds of imaginations of the future via scifi writers....and now real life.....surveillance in public places is a plus.

Private means private...but public also means...public.

Not a hard concept to treat others as you want to be treated.

Even if you're okay with big brother, consider this:

information and potential theft.

This makes them a target for a wide range of hackers including those that are simply out for a little mischief to those who would exploit safety vulnerabilities and others who might steal financial and personal information about cities and citizens alike.

Computer Bugs and Glitches - In a world of numbers, even the simplest of computer glitches can be costly. They can place 10-year-old boys on no-fly lists, cost millions of dollars, and send eviction notices to law abiding tax payers.

Power Failures - Without adequate fail-safes in place a power outage at a critical time can cause widespread devastation to the infrastructure of a Smart City. One hurricane, wildfire, tornado, or thunderstorm can cause a lot of problems for an unprepared city - even if it is a Smart City.

Tarmalen    1,310
1 hour ago, octopus prime said:

Even if you're okay with big brother, consider this:

information and potential theft.

This makes them a target for a wide range of hackers including those that are simply out for a little mischief to those who would exploit safety vulnerabilities and others who might steal financial and personal information about cities and citizens alike.

Computer Bugs and Glitches - In a world of numbers, even the simplest of computer glitches can be costly. They can place 10-year-old boys on no-fly lists, cost millions of dollars, and send eviction notices to law abiding tax payers.

Power Failures - Without adequate fail-safes in place a power outage at a critical time can cause widespread devastation to the infrastructure of a Smart City. One hurricane, wildfire, tornado, or thunderstorm can cause a lot of problems for an unprepared city - even if it is a Smart City.

And? You just described youth...each gen is more "refined". 

Teaching by example is something every good parent does in relation to their offspring which is how you combat extremist mentality. I did some really dumb "shhhh" when I was a youth...same as 99.99% of everyone on the internet. There were moments when my parents "voices" would kick in which helped me make the right decision more often than not...it stung worse when I was stupid and flagrantly went against them, inciting anger at self because I heard....but did not listen.

Smart City has been around for THOUSANDS of years.

Small communities...walk downtown and 80% of the population knows within a day.

(Take the example with a grain of salt. I don't have the time to refine the analogy)

P.S. I was talking to someone else. :angel: