Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ukshep

In the Land of the Free, Police Now Violating Your Rights Using ‘Firewood Checkpoints’

Ukshep    20,202

Police in states across the U.S. have increasingly been employing new methods to search unsuspecting motorists’ vehicles. First came the DUI checkpoints, then the insurance checkpoints, and driver’s license checkpoints. Now, in the Land of the Free, a growing new trend is emerging — Americans will be forced to go through “firewood” checkpoints.

The public reasoning for these checkpoints is state firewood quarantine programs, which prohibits residents of the invasive insect-infected areas, to transport untreated firewood outside that area. While these programs are meant to prevent the spread of the emerald ash borer, a legitimately destructive beetle that targets ash trees, they clearly disregard constitutional guarantees against illegal search and seizure.

Ohio police have been setting up ‘firewood’ checkpoints to search motorists’ vehicles since 2004, with violators potentially facing fines up to $10,000 if they’re caught with the banned firewood, according to the Daily Jefferson. In Michigan, police have been using ‘firewood’ checkpoints since at least 2005, and the list of states using them is growing.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/firewood-checkpoints-land-free/

Banned Firewood? Never heard of such a thing? Surely it is not for the beetles?

Edit: Another perspective on this. This was written before thefreethoughtprojects..

http://massprivatei.blogspot.com/2017/05/police-firewood-checkpoints-coming-to.html

kbet    844

That is screwed up. Not surprising with Ohio, everyone I know from Ohio say the cops are crooked.

sybdragon    1,505

Yes, they will get you if you bring wood in from other areas if you go to Tennessee, N. Carolina, Kentucky. We do not want your diseased wood with the beetles in it. And because of stupid people that can not see how devastated their areas are but want to bring that crap to mine? Do they not realize how things are spread around? But of course they do and they are so selfish they do not care about anyone else but themselves. So for the stupid, selfish people, we have to have laws and do stuff like this. Am I approving of it? No. I hate it. When I was younger, I ranted and raved and all that stuff. And I still hate it but ya know what? Personally, I am very glad they are doing this. I have seen the damage those pine beetles do. It's not pretty and there is no return from it. It's why the American chestnut is now gone. We couldn't stop the blight. And it was better than the Chinese chestnut that everyone knows about. There are a few trees around that are immune to the disease that killed off most of the American chestnut. They are trying to bring it back. http://www.americanforests.org/magazine/article/revival-of-the-american-chestnut/  and https://www.acf.org/  Have I ever mentioned I used to be an eco-nut? I was. Over that stuff now. But ya know how it is. As an ex eco-nut.... I approve of this.  :gsbrnint:

I do not approve of the way they are doing it. I do not think random stops checking firewood is going to help anything. I am so confused. I even sound like it in this posting don't I? :gsbrnint:

Ok. I do not want the wood to be brought into areas that the beetle has not invaded yet. How do we stop this because people do not obey the laws, rules, regs, or whatever. And I say this because I am one of the worst people you know that will ignore a law I think is ignorant. And I know a lot of these people think this is ignorant. Firewood? Yes, it's ignorant. We got other things to worry about and all that so....

Seem to recall... Here's some articles about this bug and why they are doing this. I want this beetle gone. I do not want this beetle to spread. If we gotta knock a few heads together to get that through to ya... And with all the stupid people out there that know nothing about why nor do they care... I knew this would happen. It always does when people do not realize the danger they are spreading. They think it's a nothing burger. Just like Clinton's emails. She said it and that's how most Americans will look on this beetle. A nothing burger. But it's not. It's a something burger and it we don't get it correct... We are going to be screwed. Pick your poison. What do you want? Choices. Choices have consequences. Are you willing to live with them? Questions that no one seems to ask themselves anymore. Whiny crybabies would never ask them as we can see they are not willing to live with the consequences of their choices. They have to have playdoh, safe spaces, crayons, koolaid because they can not face the consequences of daily life choices. Sad to see us come to this isn't it? The adults have all left the room....

https://www.nwf.org/News-and-Magazines/National-Wildlife/Animals/Archives/2005/Good-Bugs-Gone-Bad.aspx  This is those orange ladybugs I hate. They will bite the crap out of you. And it hurts and they swarm and will cover you. Little fockers... :angry: And other bugs that are invasive doing damage.

http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2079574,00.html  The ash borer.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/03/alabama_foresters_fear_major_b.html  Pine beetles.

https://www.treefarmsystem.org/SPBwhenbeetlesattack  Pine beetles.

And MotherJones rag, the eco-nut rag. Been reading it for years now had this to say... A slightly different view but not one I agree with. I am more with the feds on these tree killing bugs. Keep them out of areas they are not in if at all possible and do what it takes to do that. If the public will not help, they will have to be forced. As I get older.... I am finding I have no patience for stupid people anymore. They are not even funny anymore. The comedy is all used up, old and stale and not at all laughable.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2015/03/bark-pine-beetles-climate-change-diana-six

So this is not a cut and dry thing. I like it. I don't like it. I like it. I don't like it. Which is it? What am I going to finally decide?  Hate to admit it but..... Bend over guys, I want to see if you are hiding any wood up there. No wood bugs allowed. :naughty:

thedudeabides    2,372
1 hour ago, Ukshep said:

Police in states across the U.S. have increasingly been employing new methods to search unsuspecting motorists’ vehicles. First came the DUI checkpoints, then the insurance checkpoints, and driver’s license checkpoints. Now, in the Land of the Free, a growing new trend is emerging — Americans will be forced to go through “firewood” checkpoints.

The public reasoning for these checkpoints is state firewood quarantine programs, which prohibits residents of the invasive insect-infected areas, to transport untreated firewood outside that area. While these programs are meant to prevent the spread of the emerald ash borer, a legitimately destructive beetle that targets ash trees, they clearly disregard constitutional guarantees against illegal search and seizure.

Ohio police have been setting up ‘firewood’ checkpoints to search motorists’ vehicles since 2004, with violators potentially facing fines up to $10,000 if they’re caught with the banned firewood, according to the Daily Jefferson. In Michigan, police have been using ‘firewood’ checkpoints since at least 2005, and the list of states using them is growing.

We have some parasites that have been spreading. It is actually really bad. Especially the ash bore. 

Automan63    2,210

Stay off Abby Road...

Tap Tap Tap... is this thing on?

No One? 

Wow..

This can be really bad.  Hard to believe, but it can be.  It might not be pleasant dealing with police checkpoints, but there tends to be a lot of people selling firewood for cheap near whatever parks you plan to be going to for your bonfire or evening campfire or whatever.  It's generally cheaper and wastes less fuel due to spending less time in your vehicle for longer hauls.  There's also heat-treated firewood.

And maybe if people stopped acting irresponsible, things like this wouldn't be needed.  We might see it as an invasion of privacy because of this, but if you live in a forest, you wouldn't want to watch the forest get destroyed because some hillbilly bumpkin decided to import his own firewood.  People don't generally buy heavily wooded land with the intention of having it destroyed by pests.  This should be considered a pretty severe crime due to potential private, state, and federal property damage, especially for those growing crops that require heavy shade, such as ginseng.  

I do understand it's invasion of privacy, but this is one of those things...people need to be a bit more responsible.  

wrenchtroy    56

Is ash wood really worth a $hit as firewood? I prefer oak & boisdark for heating,&mesquite &pecan for cooking. 

sybdragon    1,505
3 hours ago, wrenchtroy said:

Is ash wood really worth a $hit as firewood? I prefer oak & boisdark for heating,&mesquite &pecan for cooking. 

When you are making a fire that you are not going to cook on, any ole dry wood will do. Where I was from, we burned and cooked on pine. When I finally cooked on hardwood, you could tell the difference. But if you are just making a fire, any ole wood will do.

Not that long ago, well, around 10-15 years ago, when we would go camping, the firewood at the campgrounds was not guaranteed. The campgrounds would be picked over and all you would find was the twigs to start a fire with. And the campground did not always sell firewood. That was up to the attendant as to whether they were going to sell any and it was usually expensive. So we would gather wood in other places and bring it with us so we would not have to buy that expensive wood. Yes, the weight was worth it as you only took big logs and got the smaller ones at the campgrounds and along the roads. Then they started to put up signs about not bringing in wood because of these bugs. And it made sense to me. And they also started selling firewood and it wasn't sporadic anymore. It was regular. There was even a pickup truck that came through twice a day in some of the campground selling cheap firewood. It was a good way for the locals to make money. Firewood for the wintertime and firewood for the campers in the summertime. Win-win. It does take some of the thrill of camping out of collecting wood. I always loved to collect the wood and make a huge pile so I could have a fire all night. Nice fire because I like winter camping. I do not particularly like summer camping. Too many bugs and people. But even in the wintertime, at the gold panning spots, the campfire wood truck came around daily if you asked, if not, they came by, depended on how much wood ya bought and what day it was. The weekend was regular, the weekdays were not unless you wanted it and arranged for it on an off day.

So it has been made easier for campers because they really do not have to collect wood. And you would be amazed at the people that do not want to collect wood and consider it a chore. :gsbrnint:

These firewood trucks are not selling cooking wood. They are selling hard wood but it's for a campfire. Not really any thought about you cooking on it. But I've never seen them selling pine or a sappy wood. They always have the nice wood. Nope, wood is wood ya know. It burns and it cooks.  :gsbrnint:

The people in the woods are serious about this stuff. Do not bring them bugs around. If you do, someone will drop a dime on you and really fast. This is big business and lots of money. They are not playing around. Here in Kentucky, there are three titles to a property if there is timber on it. There is the usual, mineral and land, and there is a timber rights. You can sell the timber rights to the land and sell the land and the new owners have to allow the timber right cutters to cut down those trees. This is a one shot deal but you can be clear cut if they so desire when they come collect their timber. The new trees will be yours. But the old trees were sold already.

https://www.dontmovefirewood.org/map/  click on a state on the map and it will take you to the page that tells you who is restricting firewood.

Just Jo    267

Ash bore is really tearing up woods throughout the Midwest...you can see it driving, lots of dead trees among the green...so yeah, most counties don't want you bringing in wood from other counties...don't know if it will stop the spread of ash bore but may slow it down.  I have lost trees from this.

This whole thing is stupid.   They are making it illegal to transport firewood across state lines. How is this supposed to do anything? Do the Ash Bore Beetles know where the state lines are and promise not to migrate across them?

How f**king retarded do they think we are? You are not going to stop this, eventually they will migrate on their own.

apache54    4,918
On 6/2/2017 at 7:43 AM, Ukshep said:

Edit: Another perspective on this. This was written before thefreethoughtprojects..

http://massprivatei.blogspot.com/2017/05/police-firewood-checkpoints-coming-to.html

good post!

The land of the FREE has been gone for a very long time now, it is just a myth of times past!!