Advertise With Us!
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Cinnamon

Recurring memories that make you feel terrible. Here's how to get rid of the pain or neutralize them. Morning rituals and depression.

Rate this topic

Cinnamon    16,461

Have you ever done something bad or had something bad happen to you, maybe just said something you shouldn't have or done something ages ago that doesn't or shouldn't matter anymore to anyone? I'm not talking about a license to be a jerk or do bad things. I'm talking about a way to neutralize the feelings that certain memories bring on. I'm talking about unnecessary reliving these things over and over in your head and feeling just like you did when you said it, did it or it happened to you. 

I know this is going to sound absolutely crazy, but this works for me and almost everyone who will actually take the time to do it. I was doing a lot of self help stuff a few years ago and that's how I learned it.  If you do this a few times, sometimes it takes only once, you won't feel the same way you did about these issues. Likely you will have neutralized it or at least reduced the impact of your emotional reactions when you think about what is causing you this pain. 

Here's how:

Think about whatever it is that bothers you. See it in your head and allow yourself to feel as crappy as you always do when you think about it. Run this scenario of whatever is torturing you through your mind like a movie you're watching. Do this one time. Might as well, right? When we get stuck on something like that, you either try and beat it or let it control you. 

Then, run it through your head again like you're watching a movie, speed it up, add some crazy circus music or carnival music or whatever to the mix. Make it go faster and faster, reverse it, make the people big, really small, anything to change the memory. You might have to do this a couple of times for it to work. But it works really fast for me. The more you do it, the better you are at doing it. 

Of course, it requires a bit of being able to produce images in your head, but we can all do that at least well enough to do this exercise. 

This also works on things you fear. Like spiders. Or the IRS. Or just about anything. Even if nothing bad has happened with what you fear, you can use this method. Make up a movie in your head where you are the one that defeats the thing that scares you. 

• Like 4

Cinnamon    16,461

I'll move this to survival and health after it's here for awhile. The reason I'm posting this here is to try and help as many people as I can who have these kinds of memories. 

Cinnamon    16,461

I want to add one more thing here that is kind of related. It's ritual. Rituals that we don't even know we are doing because they happen so fast that it's like one thing, but when dissected, they are many thoughts and actions combined. 

I used to wake up depressed every morning. No reason, I just was. I thought I just woke up that way. But I found out that when I slowed things waaay down and paid attention to what I was actually doing, it was indeed a ritual! 

A lot of it had to do with self talk. I didn't even know that I was doing it. I would wake up telling myself I was no good and I was going to have a shitty day. lol  Don't even ask me how I started doing that in the first place, because I really don't know. By the time I had gotten out of bed, even my body language was that of a depressed person. By the time I made some coffee and sat down to have the coffee, I felt totally like crap. 

So, anyway, what I did was when I woke up, I slowed things down, listened to the self talk and noticed everything I was doing. The next day, I changed that "ritual" and I've woke up fine ever since.  The first thing I did was change the bad self talk, then I changed my body language, that's basically all it took! 

Maybe I shouldn't tell all this stuff about me, but I thought I'd share in case it helps someone else. 

• Like 2

Condor    840

Altering reality and memories to make yourself feel good?  There is peace and comfort in Christ who has forgiven us these trespasses.  Past mistakes and transgressions serve as a database for correction and make us who we are. 

Be not afraid of past mistakes, rather arm yourself with the knowledge and spirit to no longer make them. 

It's an interesting idea that reminds me of public speaking and picturing people naked. 

Another thing that crops into my mind is the most recent Ghost in the Shell flick and how they address memories.  I've been itching to make a thread on the series/new flim (occult shoved ideas).  Let's just say that multiple characters claim that "Memories do not define us, it's our actions that matter".  Also a prominent character says something along the lines of "Every single day I get screwed by me memories, it's better to be pure, like you". 

Coming from a transhumanist/nightmare future scenario, it would be all too easy to control people that have no memory... 

After all, aren't we destined to repeat the mistakes of the past for lack of knowledge? 

We don't always have to agree but that's the beauty of this place.

:peace:

Cinnamon    16,461
27 minutes ago, Condor said:

Altering reality and memories to make yourself feel good?  There is peace and comfort in Christ who has forgiven us these trespasses.  Past mistakes and transgressions serve as a database for correction and make us who we are. 

Be not afraid of past mistakes, rather arm yourself with the knowledge and spirit to no longer make them. 

It's an interesting idea that reminds me of public speaking and picturing people naked. 

Another thing that crops into my mind is the most recent Ghost in the Shell flick and how they address memories.  I've been itching to make a thread on the series/new flim (occult shoved ideas).  Let's just say that multiple characters claim that "Memories do not define us, it's our actions that matter".  Also a prominent character says something along the lines of "Every single day I get screwed by me memories, it's better to be pure, like you". 

Coming from a transhumanist/nightmare future scenario, it would be all too easy to control people that have no memory... 

After all, aren't we destined to repeat the mistakes of the past for lack of knowledge? 

We don't always have to agree but that's the beauty of this place.

:peace:

There is no reason for an ordinary person to keep experiencing pain over and over from a memory that doesn't matter anymore to anyone. Traumatic experiences serve no purpose other than to torture the mind. They may make us who we are, but really? Why should people be on an endless loop because it makes them who they are, in many cases a nonfunctional wreck of a person who feels pain and misery unnecessarily? I haven't repeated any of the mistakes that I made years ago that made me feel bad, after using this technique. Not a single one. You will remember it, it's not a mind wipe. 

• Like 2

Condor    840
6 hours ago, Cinnamon said:

There is no reason for an ordinary person to keep experiencing pain over and over from a memory that doesn't matter anymore to anyone. Traumatic experiences serve no purpose other than to torture the mind. They may make us who we are, but really? Why should people be on an endless loop because it makes them who they are, in many cases a nonfunctional wreck of a person who feels pain and misery unnecessarily? I haven't repeated any of the mistakes that I made years ago that made me feel bad, after using this technique. Not a single one. You will remember it, it's not a mind wipe. 

I was pretty tired when I posted my comment. ;)

Go for it, I was just offering the peace and clam that comes with understanding scripture.  No weapon against me shall prosper sort of thing.  But I'm a tough mental kind of guy anyways so there's that.  But I do draw strength from he who is greater than me. 

Cheers!

vegascraps    58
Posted (edited)

PTSD is a b*tch. I have seen it impact loved ones around me that have gone through horrible things as children. It is hard to shake and they still deal with it 40 years later. It takes ALOT of work and not all are successful. The evil people that did these things to them is not fair. It is heartbreaking.

Edited by vegascraps
  • Like 4

Curenado    724

Bible beaters are like moslums. Wearisome and always subverting intelligence for superstition. I don't think that's what jesus meant. Pretty sure bible says god likes people still "groping and feeling" for him better than those who "found it!". 

You post solid adjustment & coping techniques anyone can use. Bravo.

• Like 1

When I was a paramedic, I had a several calls that involved children. Including a mass casualty that involved several children and teens. I went the traditional route of therapy as ordered by my employer. I almost lost my mind. "Opening up" did nothing but let the demons of self-doubt and self-loathing into my mind. What brought me out of it was family, God, and exercise, specifically MMA. I don't believe I would have survived if I had gotten back on the mat and started drilling the bags.

I left my career and I am happier. However, it had a profound economic effect. Eleven years of service, I was vested but not ready for full retirement. I had to find a new career, which I am having to do again because I'm just don't see me a few years from now a fifty year old carpenter. How do you keep out negative thoughts like that? Exercise, meditate, read, and focus your attention somewhere else.

• Like 3

Zing    716

We may have been ignored, abused, and abandoned as children.  As adults we find people who do the same thing to us.  We are loyal and don't end the relationship unless pain is no longer bearable.  The cycle continues at work, friends, etc.  Be aware what is going on in relationships with people.  Are you allowing anyone to take advantage of you financially, workwise, at home.  Gently, but firmly let them know what they are or are not doing to you .  They won't like it.  If they drop you for that, you are better off without them.