Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cinnamon

The shtf, you can only have one alternative health item. What would you pick and why?

Cinnamon    22,993

I would choose bentonite clay because it has so many different uses.  

Internal, external, it pulls out infections, insect bites and stings. Take some internally if you are eating something that is "iffy". Indians used to eat a little clay with their meals when out in the wild. 

sybdragon    1,505

A silver goblet. To purify water.

If that's not considered alternative health, then I would want smoke. :doobie:It's just good stuff and yep, it's the one I would pick first.

And if that's not considered alternative health, I would want opium poppies so I could get the sap and kill myself if I had to. Pain would do me in. I would want to die. So... opium poppies is the easiest way in the SHTF situations. I don't plan on being cured if it all falls apart. And with the diseases running around and no way to cure them... I want a way out. Opium poppies.

Cinnamon    22,993
1 hour ago, sybdragon said:

A silver goblet. To purify water.

If that's not considered alternative health, then I would want smoke. :doobie:It's just good stuff and yep, it's the one I would pick first.

And if that's not considered alternative health, I would want opium poppies so I could get the sap and kill myself if I had to. Pain would do me in. I would want to die. So... opium poppies is the easiest way in the SHTF situations. I don't plan on being cured if it all falls apart. And with the diseases running around and no way to cure them... I want a way out. Opium poppies.

Silver and weed... both good alternative things. 

No poppies for you, I don't want you offing yourself, others would need what you know so you have to stay around for them. 

apache54    4,883

I have to pick Mullein, because of TWO main reasons, it grows everywhere and is easy know you have the correct plant and it has even more uses then listed here, which I cheated on the list as it was too long for me to TYPE!!! LOL:D

also, it grows where I live and we are experimenting with it as i type this!!

Mullein has been used medicinally since ancient times, and its use and popularity only seem to be increasing as time goes on. The leaves, flowers and roots of the mullein plant are used medicinally for the treatment of various inflammatory diseases, diarrhea, asthma, coughs and other lung-related ailments.

An oil made from the flowers of the mullein plant is very commonly used to treat the pain and inflammation associated with earaches for children and adults alike. Mullein might even be able to fight influenza, herpes viruses and some bacteria that cause respiratory infections. (1)

Traditional use of mullein in its various forms includes the treatment of bruises, burns, hemorrhoids and gout. Preparations of mullein can be ingested, applied topically and even smoked. In the Appalachia region of the United States, the plant has historically been used to treat colds and upper airway infections. Additionally, mullein leaves have been applied topically to soften and protect the skin. (2)

Let’s talk about why mullein might already be or soon will be an impressive favorite in your herbal arsenal of natural remedies.

Mullein Plant Nutrition Facts

Mullein is the name for any of the over three hundred species of the genus Verbascum, which are large biennial or perennial herbs native to northern temperate regions, especially eastern Eurasia. Common mullein (Verbascum thapsus) grows up to seven feet tall and has a single stem with large, thick, velvety leaves and pale-yellow, slightly irregular flowers. Common mullein is the type of mullein that you will most commonly find in mullein products.

Mullein contains flavonoids, saponins, tannins, terpenoids, glycosides, carbohydrates, proteins, fats and oils. (3) Mullein also contains approximately 3 percent mucilage, which is thought to be responsible for the soothing actions that mullein has on the body’s mucous membranes. Mullein’s saponins are believed to be the explanation for mullein’s expectorant actions. (4)

5 Amazing Health Benefits of Mullein

1. Ear Infections

Mullein has well-established emollient and astringent properties making it an excellent choice for temperamental ear ailments. A tincture containing mullein alone or a combination of mullein and other herbs is commonly found in health stores (and online) as a tried-and-true natural remedy for ear aches and infections. A study published in The Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine in 2001 concluded that an herbal ear drop with mullein were just as effective as an anesthetic one. (5)

People also use mullein oil to naturally treat their dog’s ear infections and other health problems with success. That’s right — don’t forget that natural remedies can be used on your animal friends too! (6)

2. Calm Bursitis

Bursitis is a painful condition that affects the small, fluid-filled sacs (called bursae) that cushion the bones, tendons and muscles near your joints. Bursitis occurs when the bursae become inflamed. The most common locations for bursitis are in the shoulder, elbow and hip.

To help bursitis naturally with mullein, you can simply prepare some mullein tea and soak a clean cloth in the warm tea. The cloth can then be regularly applied over the affected region, which should help to decrease inflammation and serve as a natural remedy for bone and joint pain. You can also create a mullein poultice.

sybdragon    1,505
1 hour ago, Cinnamon said:

Silver and weed... both good alternative things. 

No poppies for you, I don't want you offing yourself, others would need what you know so you have to stay around for them. 

:doobie: Weed it is...  :doobie:  And a silver goblet of course. Maybe with some jewels in it... Like a magpie, I like shiny things. :doobie:

sybdragon    1,505
1 minute ago, apache54 said:

I have to pick Mullein, because of TWO main reasons, it grows everywhere and is easy know you have the correct plant and it has even more uses then listed here, which I cheated on the list as it was too long for me to TYPE!!! LOL:D

also, it grows where I live and we are experimenting with it as i type this!!

Mullein has been used medicinally since ancient times, and its use and popularity only seem to be increasing as time goes on. The leaves, flowers and roots of the mullein plant are used medicinally for the treatment of various inflammatory diseases, diarrhea, asthma, coughs and other lung-related ailments.

An oil made from the flowers of the mullein plant is very commonly used to treat the pain and inflammation associated with earaches for children and adults alike. Mullein might even be able to fight influenza, herpes viruses and some bacteria that cause respiratory infections. (1)

Traditional use of mullein in its various forms includes the treatment of bruises, burns, hemorrhoids and gout. Preparations of mullein can be ingested, applied topically and even smoked. In the Appalachia region of the United States, the plant has historically been used to treat colds and upper airway infections. Additionally, mullein leaves have been applied topically to soften and protect the skin. (2)

Let’s talk about why mullein might already be or soon will be an impressive favorite in your herbal arsenal of natural remedies.

Mullein Plant Nutrition Facts

Mullein is the name for any of the over three hundred species of the genus Verbascum, which are large biennial or perennial herbs native to northern temperate regions, especially eastern Eurasia. Common mullein (Verbascum thapsus) grows up to seven feet tall and has a single stem with large, thick, velvety leaves and pale-yellow, slightly irregular flowers. Common mullein is the type of mullein that you will most commonly find in mullein products.

Mullein contains flavonoids, saponins, tannins, terpenoids, glycosides, carbohydrates, proteins, fats and oils. (3) Mullein also contains approximately 3 percent mucilage, which is thought to be responsible for the soothing actions that mullein has on the body’s mucous membranes. Mullein’s saponins are believed to be the explanation for mullein’s expectorant actions. (4)

5 Amazing Health Benefits of Mullein

1. Ear Infections

Mullein has well-established emollient and astringent properties making it an excellent choice for temperamental ear ailments. A tincture containing mullein alone or a combination of mullein and other herbs is commonly found in health stores (and online) as a tried-and-true natural remedy for ear aches and infections. A study published in The Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine in 2001 concluded that an herbal ear drop with mullein were just as effective as an anesthetic one. (5)

People also use mullein oil to naturally treat their dog’s ear infections and other health problems with success. That’s right — don’t forget that natural remedies can be used on your animal friends too! (6)

2. Calm Bursitis

Bursitis is a painful condition that affects the small, fluid-filled sacs (called bursae) that cushion the bones, tendons and muscles near your joints. Bursitis occurs when the bursae become inflamed. The most common locations for bursitis are in the shoulder, elbow and hip.

To help bursitis naturally with mullein, you can simply prepare some mullein tea and soak a clean cloth in the warm tea. The cloth can then be regularly applied over the affected region, which should help to decrease inflammation and serve as a natural remedy for bone and joint pain. You can also create a mullein poultice.

Mullein.... So soft, so velvety. That's a really nice plant. It has no smell to speak of, but the yellow flowers are pretty.

I love this herbal lady. She is very knowledgeable. She can teach you a whole lot if you watch her videos. She takes you on walks and shows you the plants and she is good.

Cryptic Mole    4,385

My alternative medical knowledge because there is always a substitute somewhere in nature for every ailment.

Ukshep    20,111

I'd have to go with a book of knowledge on alternative health :D Why take one thing when you can take a basis for everything you need. And trade the knowledge to help those less knowledgeable in tough times!

CGK    2,624

If I could only take ONE product with me it would be Yunnan Baiyao.  Common herbs I can forge for.

Truly amazing. No medicine cabinet or first aid kit should be without Yunnan Baiyao. Putting it on cuts or traumatic injuries not only stops bleeding and prevents infection, but also alleviates the pain and quickly heals the injury. It has both anti-bacterial and homeostatic properties. If you don't have Yunnan Baiyao in your home, office, or first aid kit, go buy some today.

Yunnan Baiyao was invented in 1902 by a Chinese herb collector named Dr. Qu Huanzhang. He was said to walk the land in Yunnan, tasting thousands of herbal medicines. Its effectiveness became well known in World War II, and later in the Vietnam War, where American's witnessed Vietcong soldiers survive what should have been deadly gunshot wounds. Yunnan Baiyao is one of China's most famous medicines.

The powder inside the capsule is applied directly to cuts and injuries The capsules are taken internally for bruising, swelling, internal bleeding, and tissue damage associated with acute traumatic injury.

Yunnan Baiyao has been used in serious wounds from gunshots, internal injuries from automobile accidents, and bleeding from surgery. It has also been used to stem nosebleeds, blood in the stool, bleeding ulcers, and both postpartum hemorrhage and blood stagnation.

https://www.sacredlotus.com/go/chinese-medicine-reviews/get/yunnan-baiyao

Curenado    966

One? Psilocybe mushroom. Pain, infection, cancer, detox, crosses blood/brain barrier, parasites don't like. Pot & poppies are crucial. Thats why you see thier leaves on top of ancient pillars. A sign of civilization and better living.