Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Eve

Book Club! Starting with George Orwell's "1984"

Rate this topic

Book Club! George Orwell's "1984"  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Read the whole book and then discuss? Or, read a few chapters at a time?

• The whole book.
    • A few chapters at a time.
  2. 2. How frequently?

• Once a week.
    • Once every two weeks.
    • Once a month.

Jostler    2,210

I'm up for a re-reading of it.  It's been years since I last read it and I suspect I'll see much more now than I did then and would enjoy hearing what  others see in it.

Ukshep    12,950

I so wish I had the time to participate in this.... maybe one day I shall... Looks like an interesting idea. I think things like this are what will make cop great!

Jostler    2,210

agreed :)  And I meant to say  thank you @Eve for making the  effort to organize this.  This could be very enjoyable.

• Like 2

Eve    121

Thanks for the support! 

Here is again the link for the pdf: http://www.planetebook.com/ebooks/1984.pdf

Of course, I always suggest getting your hands on a physical copy. (I'm pro writing in books. Though if you're lending, post-it notes help scratch that itch. :p ) With the pdf above, I feel obligated to say that it's only legally free if "1984" is out of copyright in your country. 

Unless anyone objects, I think the best way to handle this is having a set of chapters to discuss per week; with the week resetting every Sunday. But because this Sunday is so close, I figured we'd have a slightly longer starting week: give people the chance to get their hands on the book and start reading. 

I'd like to start with chapters 1-4. 

Above is the forum we'll be using for on-topic discussion, and for the semantics of how the book club works: we can discuss that here. Since it's a new idea, anything is up for discussion such as frequency or the amount of chapters per week. Thanks for the support and I hope you all enjoy the book club too! 

• Like 1

Ukshep    12,950
24 minutes ago, Eve said:

Thanks for the support! 

Here is again the link for the pdf: http://www.planetebook.com/ebooks/1984.pdf

Of course, I always suggest getting your hands on a physical copy. (I'm pro writing in books. Though if you're lending, post-it notes help scratch that itch. :p ) With the pdf above, I feel obligated to say that it's only legally free if "1984" is out of copyright in your country. 

Unless anyone objects, I think the best way to handle this is having a set of chapters to discuss per week; with the week resetting every Sunday. But because this Sunday is so close, I figured we'd have a slightly longer starting week: give people the chance to get their hands on the book and start reading. 

I'd like to start with chapters 1-4. 

Above is the forum we'll be using for on-topic discussion, and for the semantics of how the book club works: we can discuss that here. Since it's a new idea, anything is up for discussion such as frequency or the amount of chapters per week. Thanks for the support and I hope you all enjoy the book club too! 

Just a heads up. We'll have groups w/ dedicated forums soon. I think a book club group would be awsome. :)

• Like 3

Eve    121
29 minutes ago, Uncle Thanky said:

I would like to suggest an addition to the list.

The Secret Teachings Of All Ages - Manly P Hall

Available here: https://archive.org/details/The_Secret_Teachings_Of_All_Ages_-_Manly_P_Hall

HAND

Thank you for your suggestion! I've started a list, and once we're done, we can vote on a new book. ^^

22 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

Just a heads up. We'll have groups w/ dedicated forums soon. I think a book club group would be awsome. :)

Cool! That sounds great. ^^

• Like 1

I would like to suggest Wise Blood  by Flannery O'Conner.  It is very rich in texture and complex in meaning.  I would love to get others ideas on it.  I have read it about 4 times in my lifetime thus far.