Advertise With Us!
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
LuckyBolt

Two-Way Radios

Rate this topic

LuckyBolt    1,076

I need some help from the community.  I'm looking for long-range two-way radios to give to friends and family that are scattered throughout San Diego.  So, hills, buildings, you name it.
I've been seeing a lot of advertised 30, 40, 50 mile range, but then reviews of those come to show they only get 2 or 3 miles (with good conditions).

So, here's what I need, and maybe @radio doc could chime in?  I'm assuming, since you're a "radiodoc" right?  lol

I want to set up my buddies that work 25 miles away.  in case of a shtf situation, emp, power/cell tower outage, you name it, and we can't call.  How can I get a hold of them?  I want to give each one of them a radio to stash in their cars.

Thank you for your input!

• Like 1

John Connor    239
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LuckyBolt said:

I need some help from the community.  I'm looking for long-range two-way radios to give to friends and family that are scattered throughout San Diego.  So, hills, buildings, you name it.
I've been seeing a lot of advertised 30, 40, 50 mile range, but then reviews of those come to show they only get 2 or 3 miles (with good conditions).

So, here's what I need, and maybe @radio doc could chime in?  I'm assuming, since you're a "radiodoc" right?  lol

I want to set up my buddies that work 25 miles away.  in case of a shtf situation, emp, power/cell tower outage, you name it, and we can't call.  How can I get a hold of them?  I want to give each one of them a radio to stash in their cars.

Thank you for your input!

Ooo ooo ooo i know..

Get a handheld HAM..  I found a monster deal on Chinese tech Handheld.. $29!! Called BaoFeng UV-5R Dual Band Two Way Radio https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-Dual-Radio-Black/dp/B007H4VT7A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1492160385&sr=8-3&keywords=baofeng+radios+UV-5R+a

I actually did ALOT ALOT of research on these, and somehow the chinese stole something or other tech (i forget the back story) but they are hugely undercutting the US market on these things..  Just compare any other brand that had less power/features for 5 times the price etc..

PLUS YOU CAN USE IT AS A SCANNER!! for police , weather, military ... whatever.. its what I use mine for..

I think I paid 10 buck more than that price.. If you a big timer ..get the high power one for 80..

They come with a whole community of support etc.. Its literally the best deal going for like EVER :)

WHen I got these < was like you just wanted Walky talkies, but learned they dont work for SHIT... low range wont work unless you have line of site etc.. just not good for emergencys.. You may want to get a HAM license to play with it, but I figure if the SHTF the FCC aint gonna be monitoring all the frequencies for pirates anyways.. lol

Edited by John Connor
  • Like 2

LuckyBolt    1,076
18 minutes ago, John Connor said:

Ooo ooo ooo i know..

Get a handheld HAM..  I found a monster deal on Chinese tech Handheld.. $29!! Called BaoFeng UV-5R Dual Band Two Way Radio https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-Dual-Radio-Black/dp/B007H4VT7A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1492160385&sr=8-3&keywords=baofeng+radios+UV-5R+a

Those were on the top of my list, but just wanted to see if anyone else had some thoughts.  Thanks!
Did you get the extra long antenna?   Looks like you can get 20-25 mile range with it.

John Connor    239

ya I got two of them , long antenna , extra batteries, car charger .. some other stuff lol.. Make sure you look up the community thing.. They put together an owners manual, and stuff .. You NEED it.. Ill look it up for you if needed

John Connor    239
19 minutes ago, LuckyBolt said:

Those were on the top of my list, but just wanted to see if anyone else had some thoughts.  Thanks!
Did you get the extra long antenna?   Looks like you can get 20-25 mile range with it.

O ya, theres an APp.. that you can program it with.. From your laptop.. sooo nice..

LuckyBolt    1,076
Just now, John Connor said:

ya I got two of them , long antenna , extra batteries, car charger .. some other stuff lol.. Make sure you look up the community thing.. They put together an owners manual, and stuff .. You NEED it.. Ill look it up for you if needed

What size antenna did you get?  They've got 8" to 22"

John Connor    239
Just now, LuckyBolt said:

What size antenna did you get?  They've got 8" to 22"

I got the 22, on one of them.. Just to have

Posted (edited)

I always chuckle when I see the 50 mile plus range they advertise on those radios.  maybe, if you are on top of Pikes Peak you could get close, but on the ground, you would be lucky to get over a couple hills.  The frequency they run on is just not good for that, even those "ham: radios will not do much better.

Honestly, you would be better off getting that 25 mile or better range with CB radios as the lower frequency hugs the ground much better.

Edited by BeachedOnMars
  • Like 1

LuckyBolt    1,076
5 hours ago, BeachedOnMars said:

I always chuckle when I see the 50 mile plus range they advertise on those radios.  maybe, if you are on top of Pikes Peak you could get close, but on the ground, you would be lucky to get over a couple hills.  The frequency they run on is just not good for that, even those "ham: radios will not do much better.

Honestly, you would be better off getting that 25 mile or better range with CB radios as the lower frequency hugs the ground much better.

I'm ordering the Hams and will test them out.  If they don't meet the range inneed, then I'll try CBs.  That was my next route.  Thanks for the input!

• Like 1

John Connor    239
1 hour ago, LuckyBolt said:

I'm ordering the Hams and will test them out.  If they don't meet the range inneed, then I'll try CBs.  That was my next route.  Thanks for the input!

The Hams actually WILL do much better..

• Like 1

radio doc    351
Posted (edited)

i have some uv5rs and other ccrs ( cheap chinese radios ) and i am happy with their performance for the price. on the uv5r theres an annoying issue with the squelch that can be cured by going in to the service settings using chirp software.

chirp software from miklor.com s the best thing ive found for programming these radios.

25 miles is gonna be hit or miss unless you have nearly line of sight between the two locations, but heres what id do, use a dual band 50watt mobile in the crossband repeater mode at both ends, put the handhelds on vhf receive and the transmit on a uhf channel going to the 50watt mobile that will send it to the other location on vhf.

all the units would operate on a vhf channel for receive so the crossband mode would need only be one way, to extend your transmit range only. 

dual band mobiles are very cheap and this method will eliminate the need for duplexers (very expensive) 

http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_CHIRP.php  you will need a cable to use this, but its only like 10 buck if you didnt get one free with the radio.

miklor.com is well worth a look!

http://www.miklor.com/ 

Edited by radio doc
add

John Connor    239
8 minutes ago, radio doc said:

i have some uv5rs and other ccrs ( cheap chinese radios ) and i am happy with their performance for the price. on the uv5r theres an annoying issue with the squelch that can be cured by going in to the service settings using chirp software.

chirp software from miklor.com s the best thing ive found for programming these radios.

25 miles is gonna be hit or miss unless you have nearly line of sight between the two locations, but heres what id do, use a dual band 50watt mobile in the crossband repeater mode at both ends, put the handhelds on vhf receive and the transmit on a uhf channel going to the 50watt mobile that will send it to the other location on vhf.

all the units would operate on a vhf channel for receive so the crossband mode would need only be one way, to extend your transmit range only. 

dual band mobiles are very cheap and this method will eliminate the need for duplexers (very expensive) 

http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_CHIRP.php  you will need a cable to use this, but its only like 10 buck if you didnt get one free with the radio.

miklor.com is well worth a look!

http://www.miklor.com/ 

Ya I didnt want to swamp him with the Miklor/ Chirp stuff until he already invested :).. But ya you need CHIRP.. and the cable for sure.. I forgot to say that..

Need to start playing with these again..

Was just using it as a police scanner (cheapest working scanner you can find too) I think..