Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Ukshep

BREAKING | New York making state colleges tuition-free for middle class, poor - First state ever to do this

New York will be the first state to make tuition at public colleges and universities free for middle-class students under a state budget approved by lawmakers Sunday.

The plan crafted by Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo will apply to any New York student whose family has an annual income of $125,000 or less. To qualify the student would have to meet certain class load and grade point average restrictions, and room and board would not be covered.

“College is today what high school was 50 years ago,” Cuomo said on a radio interview Sunday on AM 970 in New York City. “If you’re a young person who wants success and a career, a college education is necessary.

The initiative is included in a $153 billion state budget proposal that passed the state Senate late Sunday after being endorsed by the Assembly a day earlier. The budget was due by April 1, but difficult negotiations delayed passage.

The tuition plan will be phased in over three years, with families making $100,000 or less annually eligible in the fall of 2017, with the threshold rising to $125,000 in 2019. Cuomo’s office says some 940,000 families will qualify. The initiative also includes $19 million for a new tuition award program for students at private colleges.

The governor’s office estimates that the program will cost the state $163 million.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-york-making-state-colleges-tuition-free-for-middle-class-poor/

New York! The first state ever to do this actually!

Seems like more free stuff to me. When will they learn handouts will solve nothing. It just creates self-entitled pricks who suck on the teet of the government... Oh wait that's the plan anyway. Nevermind then! /sarc

Common Core, leave ""no child behind"". So Gov. Cuomo and their 1% are all indoctrinated, so now the NWO wants to make sure they don't lose any of the middle class in New York.  So between Common Core and Sanctuary Cities they have it covered ........

5 minutes ago, RetiredRogue said:

Common Core, leave ""no child behind"". So Gov. Cuomo and their 1% are all indoctrinated, so now the NWO wants to make sure they don't lose any of the middle class in New York.  So between Common Core and Sanctuary Cities they have it covered ........

Sounds like it! Ugh... and all we can do is watch...

6 minutes ago, RetiredRogue said:

NY had the highest emigration of high income earners than any state in the us.  At this rate, I don't know how they can keep it up.  It's becoming the redistribution capital of the US.

12 minutes ago, RetiredRogue said:

The sanctuary city status alone will cause it to go to war and blame the Trump admin for it's failure, due to Gov't pulling state funding on sanctuary cities. Entitlement Class War :nukeanimated:

I can see wanting the future crop of taxpayers to be educated and employed. Sorta like ranching. You want cattle that can thrive in the climate, have low calving problems and bring the best price at the auction. Go NYC!!!

/s

I'll lean the other way on this. Every country should be implementing free 3rd level education.  Why would you want a country of uneducated morons running about the place?  
As an example, If you think about the possible pool of future doctors,  high education costs limit the possible candidates immensely.  Unless you're of the idea that only the upper classes should possess the knowledge (or have the ability), this system is a failure.

In ireland we have had free education (not including smaller registration fees) and we currently sit at #15 in the world education rankings.  I personally achieved my degree and teaching higher diploma for under 30k. Surely that is a goal for all? 

Now the content of the education is another story... thats a problem that needs to be dealt with before our entire history becomes a work of fiction.

29 minutes ago, FlhxsGeek said:

NY had the highest emigration of high income earners than any state in the us.  At this rate, I don't know how they can keep it up.  It's becoming the redistribution capital of the US.

Exactly,  gotta allure more New York tax payers ...

Census: More People Leaving New York State

New census numbers show more people are leaving New York state than moving in, with a net migration loss of nearly 73,000 between 2015 and 2016.  https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/new-york/articles/2017-03-24/census-more-people-leaving-new-york-state

12 minutes ago, Just Lookin said:

Now the content of the education is another story... thats a problem that needs to be dealt with before our entire history becomes a work of fiction.

Exactly, the US doesn't need more lawyers, they do need tradesmen.

So. Liberals made liberal college free. Hmmm. Just sounds like more brain washed idiots to me. 

1 hour ago, Ukshep said:

Seems like more free stuff to me. When will they learn handouts will solve nothing. It just creates self-entitled pricks who suck on the teet of the government... Oh wait that's the plan anyway. Nevermind then! /sarc

Keeps the domocrappers in VOTES!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.