Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Ilovethefounders

The Founding Fathers on Noninterventionism

Hello everyone! As some of you may know, I started a blog this week, and I just published my second post. It deals with the Founders' views on foreign policy and particularly the principle of noninterventionism. I would be honored if you wanted to read it here and would greatly appreciate any feedback or constructive criticism.

The following are a few of the quotations covered in the post:

"We should be most unwise, indeed, were we to cast away the singular blessings of the position in which nature has placed us, the opportunity she has endowed us with of pursuing, at a distance from foreign contentions, the paths of industry, peace, and happiness, of cultivating general friendship, and of bringing collisions of interest to the umpirage of reason rather than of force.” – Thomas Jefferson, Third Annual Message, October 18, 1803.

The first and most necessary duty of nations, as well as of men, is to do no wrong or injury. Justice is a sacred law of nations. […] This great principle prohibits one nation from exciting disturbances in another, from seducing its citizens, from depriving it of its natural advantages, from calumniating its reputation, from debauching the attachment of its allies, from fomenting or encouraging the hatred of its enemies.” – James Wilson, Lectures on Law, Chapter IV:  Of the Law of Nations.

Of all the enemies to public liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded, because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. […] No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare. Those truths are well established. They are read in every page which records the progression from a less arbitrary to a more arbitrary government, or the transition from a popular government to an aristocracy or a monarchy.” – James Madison, Political Observations, April 20, 1795.

It is natural to expect, that those who exact a rigorous Observation of the Law of Nations, when their own Interest or Honour seems affected, should be themselves ready to show an Example of their own Regard for those Laws where the Interest of others is concerned.” – Benjamin Franklin, Letter to the Comte de Vergennes, March 3, 1782.

Thank you!

16 hours ago, FredoIsSmart said:

Sup bro, very nice blog. Highly recommended! 

"No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare." 

:coffeetime:

For 222 out of the 239 year history of this country, we have been at some sort of war, police action, armed conflictor strife.

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2015/02/america-war-93-time-222-239-years-since-1776.html

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.