Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brio

ISIS Attacks US-Led Base In Southern Syria, As Assad Said To Use White Phosphorus

Brio    1,038

With the US now engaged in military conflict with, and targeting Syrian army forces, what the Trump administration has (un)wittingly done is provide support to Islamic State, al-Qaeda, and al-Nusra and other terrorist forces, all of which have been engaging with the Assad regime in a fight in which the Syrian president has gradually seen the tide of war turn in his favor. At least until last Friday's US cruise missile attack that is. 

Which is why it should probably come as no surprise that, emboldened by US actions, moments ago the WSJ reported that Islamic State militants attacked a US-led coalition base (at least we now have official confirmation that there are US military bases in Syria) in southern Syria on Saturday, "triggering a fierce fight that required coalition airstrikes to repel, U.S. military officials said Sunday."

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-04-09/isis-attacks-us-led-base-southern-syria-assad-said-use-white-phosphorus

What in hell is going on there?

Cinnamon    23,071

:blink: Wish we knew what was going on, since we don't, might as well draw our own conclusions. Everything is a lie. ???

Brio    1,038

One comment from the article

so nice of ISIS to turn up in another part of Syria that the US & co want to invade.

There it is.

Jostler    2,216

confirmation  of the rumours we heard yesterday.  And the excuse for the next round.  White phosphorus.  But they won't tell you what US policy is on the use of white phosphorus, a subject I am well familiar with due to some very serious briefings I was given about when and under what conditions I could call for white phosphorus rounds as a forward observer.

White phosphorus is legitimate for use against equipment, not personnel.  I was free to target enemy convoys with  "willy pete" as long as I could say I was targeting the vehicles, not the drivers.  Due to the voluminous white smoke produced I could use WP rounds as target markers to identify targets to fixed wing assets coming in for the  kill.

On the side, I was told to use it any time I liked, but just make sure the battle damage assessment focused on materiel, not men.  After all, enemy troops are carrying rifles, ammo and backpacks or web gear.....right?

I guess I better get off here and get a shopping list refined and go get stocked up.  With WP now in focus, you can bet this is about to kick up another notch.

From the article:

One thing we can imagine, however, is sequence of thoughts inside Assad's head: "Well, I just got bombed by the US and I will surely get bombed even more at even the slightest additional provocation that can be splashed across the front pages of western newspaper. So... yes, brilliant idea - I will use a banned, toxic substance - White Phosphorus - and hope it appears on all media channels around the developed world, just to make sure the next US airstrike aims right for my palace."

Sure, why not.

Expect to hear much more about white phosphorus in the coming days: it will be the "catalyst" for the next round of Syrian airstrikes. 

Brio    1,038
9 minutes ago, Jostler said:

confirmation  of the rumours we heard yesterday.  And the excuse for the next round.  White phosphorus.  But they won't tell you what US policy is on the use of white phosphorus, a subject I am well familiar with due to some very serious briefings I was given about when and under what conditions I could call for white phosphorus rounds as a forward observer.

White phosphorus is legitimate for use against equipment, not personnel.  I was free to target enemy convoys with  "willy pete" as long as I could say I was targeting the vehicles, not the drivers.  Due to the voluminous white smoke produced I could use WP rounds as target markers to identify targets to fixed wing assets coming in for the  kill.

On the side, I was told to use it any time I liked, but just make sure the battle damage assessment focused on materiel, not men.  After all, enemy troops are carrying rifles, ammo and backpacks or web gear.....right?

I guess I better get off here and get a shopping list refined and go get stocked up.  With WP now in focus, you can bet this is about to kick up another notch.

From the article:

Wow. :excl:

Jostler    2,216
2 minutes ago, JustATrucker said:

Well lets expect a strong response from Trump if this is even true..

there's no doubt those videos recorded the use of white phosphorus....whether the videos are legit or not isn't something I'd take for granted.   Whether that stuff actually came from the air or was lobbed in by artillery or just set up and detonated on the ground isn't at all clear from any evidence I could see.

But the same logic applies.  Assad would have to be suicidal to give us such a provocation right now for no discernible gain.

JustATrucker    573
2 minutes ago, Jostler said:

there's no doubt those videos recorded the use of white phosphorus....whether the videos are legit or not isn't something I'd take for granted.   Whether that stuff actually came from the air or was lobbed in by artillery or just set up and detonated on the ground isn't at all clear from any evidence I could see.

But the same logic applies.  Assad would have to be suicidal to give us such a provocation right now for no discernible gain.

I'm watching fox news, and they are not even talking about it.. They are just talking again about the missile attack a few days ago.

Jostler    2,216
Just now, JustATrucker said:

I'm watching fox news, and they are not even talking about it.. They are just talking again about the missile attack a few days ago.

give it a few hours.  I doubt it will be long now.

Jostler    2,216
1 hour ago, COBO Member said:

@Jostler  Take a look at the 2nd video at Cinn's link above. Does that look like it came from an aircraft or artillery? You're the Army guy, so...

I'm a bit confused by what I'm seeing there.  To the right side of the frame there's an explosion, already in progress when the video begins, that looks a lot like an 81mm mortar or maybe a 105 WP round might.  I don't think its a big enough  fireball to be a 155 round.

But that stuff flying in from the left does not look like artillery fire at all and does appear to come from the air.  A VT fuze can be used to get an airburst out  of an artillery shell, but using an airburst with WP ....dunno why you'd need to :)

I really can't determine what I'm looking  at there.  Everything I'm familiar  with that delivers WP explodes on impact, so I suspect this is something that wasn't around when I was active ...  already burning  on the way down just isn't a WP deployment I'm familiar with.

1.  Is this two artillery rounds, one ground/impact burst (in progress when the video  begins) followed closely by a second air burst?

2.  An air dropped incindiary cluster munition? 

I think I"ve been out  too long now.  :)

Bottom line is I can't tell if that was artillery or air dropped.

If you put me in thumbscrews and made me guess I'd guess airplane or helo delivery

Edit:  I haz video!  (and it's not helping :) )  This clearly shows an airburst WP munition (4:24-4:30) , so  I'm just behind the times on that one.  But is it artillery or  bomb?   lol...dunnno :)