Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Honey

Now Iran May Get Involved

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-strike-in-syria-raises-tensions-with-iran-1491607144

U.S.

U.S. Strike in Syria Raises Tensions With Iran

Officials in Iran accuse White House of violating international law and siding with Islamic State

Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif answered questions from lawmakers in an open session of parliament in Tehran last year. Photo: Vahid Salemi/Associated Press

By

Jay Solomon

April 7, 2017 7:19 p.m. ET

121 COMMENTS

WASHINGTON—The U.S. airstrikes on Syria stoked new tensions with Iran and generated calls in Tehran for increased military support for President Bashar al-Assad’s regime.

Iranian officials said on Friday the U.S. attack violated international law and accused President Donald Trump of siding with Islamic State and al Qaeda in Syria.

“Not even two decades after 9/11, [the] U.S. military is fighting on same side as al-Qaeda & ISIS in Yemen & Syria,” Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif tweeted on Friday. “Time to stop hype and coverups.”

Related Stories

Trump’s Syria Strike Sends Russia a Signal

Nikki Haley Warns U.S. Prepared to ‘Do More’ in Syria

Strike Alters U.S. Military Strategy in Syria

U.S. Strike, Unlike in 2013, Probably Won’t Endanger Assad Rule

Attack Shakes Up ISIS Fight

Trump Gets Rare Bipartisan Backing for Strike

But Mr. Trump and his advisers have already taken steps in recent months to try to roll back Iranian influence in the Middle East, despite the landmark nuclear agreement forged between Tehran and global powers in 2015.

Many Middle East analysts said Iran could seek to mobilize even more military support for Mr. Assad in coming months. This is in addition to the thousands of Shiite fighters it has already deployed in Syria since civil war broke out in the country in 2011.

Syria serves as Iran’s closest regional ally and the land bridge for Iranian supplies going to Lebanese and Palestinian militias at war with Israel.

“The key question now is, what’s the Iranian response to the attack? Do they double down,” said Andrew Tabler, a Syria expert at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy.

Iranian experts said the government has no choice, given the billions of dollars it has already invested in Mr. Assad over the past six years.

“Iran and Russia have paid a high cost in Syria, both financially and in human life, and Iran has lost even more than Russia,” said Foad Izadi, a professor at Tehran University. “Therefore, Iran will not sit back indifferent.”

Tangled Alliances

VIEW Graphic

The U.S. missile strike more deeply enmeshes America in the six-year Syrian conflict involving Russia and regional powers, and has set it at odds with countries that it is indirectly working with in Iraq in fighting Islamic State. Here’s a look at the various actors and their goals.

Mr. Trump, a Republican, campaigned last year against former President Barack Obama’s diplomatic outreach to Iran and the nuclear deal, which constrained Tehran’s capabilities but also released billions of dollars in frozen Iranian assets.

Since taking office, Mr. Trump has signaled he will abide by the agreement. But he has also taken steps to try to constrain Tehran’s military capabilities and presence across the Mideast.

Mr. Trump’s administration has sanctioned dozens of Iranian companies since January for allegedly aiding Tehran’s development of ballistic missiles. And it has also increased support for a military coalition led by Saudi Arabia that is fighting an Iranian-backed militia in Yemen.

Military analysts said Mr. Assad may have deployed chemical weapons on Tuesday because his troops have been stretched thin by the civil war.

Iran has mobilized as many as 10,000 militiamen from Lebanon, Iraq and Afghanistan in a largely successful military effort to buttress Mr. Assad’s defenses.

But U.S. and Arab officials believe the Syrian government has inadequate forces to hold territory it has reclaimed in recent months from rebel militias.

U.S. officials have said in recent days that they believe Thursday’s airstrikes will renew pressure on Damascus and potentially serve as a warning that Mr. Trump’s administration won’t tolerate future chemical weapons attacks. Shutting down chemical attacks, they argue, will force Iran and Russia to either pour more resources into Syria or to engage in a diplomatic process to end the Syrian civil war.

U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson is scheduled to visit Moscow next week for a meeting with President Vladimir Putin of Russia. The Syrian conflict is expected to top their agenda.

Linked from Drudge

I can't find anything anywhere else on that and pfft on their paywalls. I found this, just now:

Iran Seeks Stronger Russia Alliance After U.S. Strikes in Syria

Tehran looks to fortify alliance supporting Syrian President Assad ahead of potential deeper U.S. involvement in conflict

https://www.wsj.com/articles/iran-seeks-stronger-russia-alliance-after-u-s-strikes-in-syria-1491686973

Top Iranian, Russian Security Officials Discuss US Missile Strike on Syria

TEHRAN (FNA)- The most senior Iranian and Russian security officials conferred on the recent US missile aggression against a Syrian airbase in Homs province.

Secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) Ali Shamkhani and his Russian counterpart Nikolai Patrushev in a phone conversation on Saturday afternoon exchanged views on Washington's missile attack on Syria.

During the conversation, Shamkhani underlined the necessity for the formation of a fact-finding committee to clarify the aspects of the suspicious chemical attack in Idlib, and said given the fact that Syria has been disarmed of chemical weapons in the past, the attack has been definitely launched by a third party to create a pretext for military aggression against Syria.

He also warned of impacts of the US aggressive and illegal moves in the region, and said, "Such measures boost the terrorists' morale and disrupt the trend of war on terrorism which is pursued through cooperation among the Russian, Syrian and Iranian governments under the UN supervision."

<snip>

http://en.farsnews.com/

As allies with Syria, I'd expect nothing less. Like I said in another thread, watch out for Bahrain. Virtually all our minesweepers are ported there. You think gas is spendy now? If they block off/mine the Straits of Hormuz...

Well it can't be WW3 unless everyone gets involved...They know their on the Hit list as well...

10 minutes ago, Siddrix said:

Well it can't be WW3 unless everyone gets involved...They know their on the Hit list as well...

They've been on it for years. Neo cons wanted them but didn't attack... I wonder how they pick who's next. 

he United States had terse and cryptic words for North Korea’s reclusive communist regime after it tested yet another ballistic missile on April 4, 2017. Unnamed White House officials said the “clock has now run out” for authorities in Pyongyang and reiterated a previous threat that “all options are on the table.”

"The United States has spoken enough about North Korea,” Secretary of State Rex Tillerson wrote in an unusual three sentence statement.

The curt remarks were the latest in a string of increasingly tough rhetoric between American and North Korean officials beginning in March 2017, including a Pyongyang spokesman’s threat of “a preemptive nuclear attack” if the United States resorted to unilateral military action. But how might the United States actually respond to these provocations and potential doomsday scenarios? Well, we’ve found some answers inside the U.S. Strategic Command’s (STRATCOM) Operations Plan (OPLAN) 8010. While it doesn't explicit allow for an American preemptive strike, it is the literal nuclear option.

<snip>

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/9056/heres-americas-plan-for-nuking-its-enemies-including-north-korea

:popcorn:  I need the money so I am now selling popcorn and beer for this show . :cheers:

52 minutes ago, COBO Member said:

As allies with Syria, I'd expect nothing less. Like I said in another thread, watch out for Bahrain. Virtually all our minesweepers are ported there. You think gas is spendy now? If they block off/mine the Straits of Hormuz...

We have more domestic oil reserves than you could shake a dipstick at.  We don't need their oil if it comes down to it.   One of the objectives anyway is to flood the market with glut and drive prices down so Russia's economy takes a royal pounding.

1 hour ago, Dan Lannon said:

We have more domestic oil reserves than you could shake a dipstick at.  We don't need their oil if it comes down to it.   One of the objectives anyway is to flood the market with glut and drive prices down so Russia's economy takes a royal pounding.

Key word..."reserves". Probably want to hold on to those just in case this whole thing goes south so I don't see them being released  atm. Besides, are all our refineries back online yet?

1 hour ago, CSB said:

:popcorn:  I need the money so I am now selling popcorn and beer for this show . :cheers:

Fake News!!  

His popcorn is imported from China made from plastic and the salt is contaminated by radioactive materials.... Don't buy it he is an agent of the Chinese state..

:gsbrnint: :gsbrnint:

That's about as close as I can get to reality.. One guy is selling "fake" popcorn" and the other guy is trying to shoot-down the "advertising".  Ans some where in between is a very confused public who very soon grab a hold of the stories and then the bullshit goes viral on social media.  Before long @CSB is locked-up in Guantanamo for bringing down the state (at least trying) with the sale of fake, contaminated, Chinese cheap popcorn..

Moral of the story:

You simply cannot believe everything you read, and not evry thing advertised is a cover-up.  The trick is to know which.  ((I may be the real seller of that contaminated popcorn......who knows))

:popcorn:

gulf of hormuz, blockade it and no more ships of commerce, the iranians are more than capable of blocking the Hormuz strait.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.