Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ilovethefounders

What is the most important, but least understood, principle that helped make America great?

What is the most important, but least understood, principle that helped make America great?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. I recently started a blog with the intention of writing a series called "Back to Basics" where I cover the principles that made America great and without which, we are doomed. What do you think should be next? Here are some of my ideas.....

• Noninterventionism
    • No national bank
    • Personal Liberty
    • Low national debt
    • Limited Government
    • Separation of Powers
    • States Rights
    • Morality
    • Other - please tell me what important ones you think I've left out of this list!

Cinnamon    22,987

Americans need to learn that Americans need to pay attention to their own country and stop falling for the same excuses to go to war, over and over. They always say someone is committing atrocities and we have to go save these poor people.  And it works every time.  Once they start a military campaign, it's total destruction of  property. Then there are the refugees created by these actions and the people start demanding for all of us to take them in because we caused them to be refugees, while the ones opposing war are stuck in the middle of it all, wanting nothing to do with any of it. 

Most have enough trouble just making a living and looking after their own life and family, if the bankers didn't get rich from war, there wouldn't be any wars because someone has to finance them. Who do you think that is? Government borrows money in our name with interest. 

Then there is blowback from the people who live in all those countries. 

Also, there is a plan to invade all those countries and more. The playbook is out there. See PNAC. Project for a New American Century.  

Cryptic Mole    4,384

That was a bit tough because there were a few I could have gone with. However, I wound up going with Limited Government because I believe keeping a tight control on the size of government is and should be a fundamental approach. 

While all of those are good, I'm choosing personal liberty. Everything from what liberty is to the repercussions of abusing it are so grossly misunderstood.

grav   
grav

I picked states rights because the US is not a nation. It is 50 nations. I know Lincoln is a big hero, but my husband, a true Southerner, called Honest Abe a traitor for destroying the autonomy of individual states. hmm, I think he's right. Tptb created the slave system, and poor sharecroppers and ordinary people allowed the elites to import workers that kept white people in poverty. And where is the proof that Fort Sumter was attacked? This is unrelated but interesting: the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Roosevelt had no warning that a giant fleet was about to bomb our naval base? We didn't have radar and scout planes back then? What difference, at this point, does it make? America is great because tptb want it to be a military and economic powerhouse. 

20 hours ago, Cinnamon said:

Americans need to learn that Americans need to pay attention to their own country and stop falling for the same excuses to go to war, over and over. They always say someone is committing atrocities and we have to go save these poor people.  And it works every time.  Once they start a military campaign, it's total destruction of  property. Then there are the refugees created by these actions and the people start demanding for all of us to take them in because we caused them to be refugees, while the ones opposing war are stuck in the middle of it all, wanting nothing to do with any of it. 

Most have enough trouble just making a living and looking after their own life and family, if the bankers didn't get rich from war, there wouldn't be any wars because someone has to finance them. Who do you think that is? Government borrows money in our name with interest. 

Then there is blowback from the people who live in all those countries. 

Also, there is a plan to invade all those countries and more. The playbook is out there. See PNAC. Project for a New American Century.  

Thank you! Since you responded first, I tried to incorporate most of your ideas into my post on Noninterventionism, which is here. A few excerpts:

"We should be most unwise, indeed, were we to cast away the singular blessings of the position in which nature has placed us, the opportunity she has endowed us with of pursuing, at a distance from foreign contentions, the paths of industry, peace, and happiness, of cultivating general friendship, and of bringing collisions of interest to the umpirage of reason rather than of force.” – Thomas Jefferson, Third Annual Message, October 18, 1803.

The first and most necessary duty of nations, as well as of men, is to do no wrong or injury. Justice is a sacred law of nations. […] This great principle prohibits one nation from exciting disturbances in another, from seducing its citizens, from depriving it of its natural advantages, from calumniating its reputation, from debauching the attachment of its allies, from fomenting or encouraging the hatred of its enemies.” – James Wilson, Lectures on Law, Chapter IV:  Of the Law of Nations.

Of all the enemies to public liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded, because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. […] No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare. Those truths are well established. They are read in every page which records the progression from a less arbitrary to a more arbitrary government, or the transition from a popular government to an aristocracy or a monarchy.” – James Madison, Political Observations, April 20, 1795.

It is natural to expect, that those who exact a rigorous Observation of the Law of Nations, when their own Interest or Honour seems affected, should be themselves ready to show an Example of their own Regard for those Laws where the Interest of others is concerned.” – Benjamin Franklin, Letter to the Comte de Vergennes, March 3, 1782.

It's a long post and you're a busy girl, so I understand if you don't have time to read the entire thing. But if you do get a chance, any feedback would be welcome.

So far Limited Government has received the most votes in my poll. That topic is now up on the blog here. As always I would appreciate feedback if you have the time to give it.

If you haven't voted, please consider doing so! Unless the tally changes I will begin the post on personal liberty next. Thank you all for your help!

Bobbers    199

To my mind some of the topics you listed are independent and others can be seen as dependent.  Meaning, if we have limited government at all levels we won't have the resources or desire to intervene in the affairs of other countries unless those affairs have a direct impact on our country.  If we have limited government personal liberty is increased by an exponential factor, etc.

So I voted, in case it's not clear, for limited government.

2 hours ago, Bobbers said:

To my mind some of the topics you listed are independent and others can be seen as dependent.  Meaning, if we have limited government at all levels we won't have the resources or desire to intervene in the affairs of other countries unless those affairs have a direct impact on our country.  If we have limited government personal liberty is increased by an exponential factor, etc.

So I voted, in case it's not clear, for limited government.

Hi Bobbers! Thank you for your response. I believe that all the topics are related, of course some more tangentially than others. The Founders in general had a very cohesive worldview. That probably helps explain why it is so hard to understand for today's Americans who seem more prone to pick and choose between mutually exclusive positions depending on the issue at hand. If you have time, I would love to hear your feedback on my post about limited government, here. I found it hard to strike a balance in my posts between being too pedantic and dumbing it down to the level of "Big government bad. Small government good. They said so." I'm still not sure which side I fell on.

FredoIsSmart    512

Dismantle the Federal Reserve and give the power to coin money back to the govt. Look at Iceland, they let all of their banks fail and jailed the bankers responsible for the 2008 crash and people were allowed to keep their homes. Fast forward a few years and they are recovering nicely. Too big to fail, remember that line of horseshit?

A Freeman    664

Why not get rid of ALL of the fraudulent and UNLAWFUL man-made (i.e. CRIMINAL) legislation, rules, policies, "codes", etc. and go back to God's Law?

Do people like being stolen from by lying, thieving and murderous politicians and their corporate government agencies and crony capitalistic systems?

God's Law provides TRUE Liberty, Justice, Peace, Prosperity, Safety and Security for ALL.

Under God's Law there would automatically be a policy of non-interventionism. There would likewise be no corporate banks, NO debt (which is caused by interest/usury and inflation), and there would be no reason for separation of powers, state v. federal governments, etc. (all of which are man-made, and serve the rich to control, impoverish and enslave the masses).

There is NO other way to have a moral, lawful and FREE society. 

And if we kept and enforced God's Law ONLY, He would protect us and fight for us against any and all aggressors, exactly as He's PROMISED.

Alternatively, we can continue to think that the present system isn't corrupt beyond repair, that politicians really have the people's best interests in mind instead of how to further empower themselves and line their own pockets, and that we will all be able to safely go to sleep at night indefinitely, without the worry of being invaded by enemies, either foreign or domestic.

Better wake-up. The American dream is over. The only winning government move is not to play.

The way to eliminate ALL politicians