Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Countryboyseein

A-10 tank buster

Am I crazy, I'm certain that several years ago I heard that the remaining A-10's were being retired.  However, all day yesterday,  they were flying back and forth across the skies here in Springfield, Missouri. 

Did I miss the reinstatement of them? 

Are they being used as trainers? If so, why? There's no other craft that's remotely like an A-10...

We also get many military copters doing maneuvers (cobra, apaches and modern gun ships), osprys a couple days a few months ago,  etc ,ettc

We have a couple reserve stations here, but it seems odd that they fly over town constantly, when they can fly any direction and be over farmland in a couple minutes...

Anyone have any thoughts ?

The guys that know and the ct world went nutz when they threatened to retire A10.so congress gave it funding.
I had one fly over me at tree top level 30 years ago.scary as hell itself.
My fave plane still.nothing built to replace it.only prob is the radioactive barrel from those DU bullets.never get near its barrel.or an army tanks barrel thats fired DU.
Im the guy who outed the radiation about >5 years ago on ats.
The plasma created from the firing of the DU reactivates the dust from the DU.
Bush's dirty little secret.

1 hour ago, Countryboyseein said:

Am I crazy, I'm certain that several years ago I heard that the remaining A-10's were being retired.  However, all day yesterday,  they were flying back and forth across the skies here in Springfield, Missouri. 

Did I miss the reinstatement of them? 

Are they being used as trainers? If so, why? There's no other craft that's remotely like an A-10...

We also get many military copters doing maneuvers (cobra, apaches and modern gun ships), osprys a couple days a few months ago,  etc ,ettc

We have a couple reserve stations here, but it seems odd that they fly over town constantly, when they can fly any direction and be over farmland in a couple minutes...

Anyone have any thoughts ?

:gsbrnint: Practicing strafing runs on Battlefield Mall, no doubt.

Yeah, they'll be around for awhile longer. All I can say is the A-10 is an awesome warplane that short of a solid hit by a missile, it'll get the pilot home. And OBTW, not much but same engines that was on the S-3 Viking. "Hoooover"

As a forward observer my job was directing artillery fire, but my secondary job was directing fixed wing ground attacks when no ALO was present...and I never met an ALO.  Those boys are rare as hen's teeth and my units were never assigned one.

I can tell you an op with  an A-10 or two on call or better yet on loiter is a VERY different op than one you only have artillery support for.   I was aghast when I heard they were phasing out and much relieved when they changed their mind.  For a ground  pounder there just isn't anything that comes close to the A-10.   Well...except Spectre...but access to those was rare as well.   A-10's were abundant and just awesome.

I was out by Barstow in my Baja Bug buzzing around when an A-10 did a mock strafing run on me,turned around and did a second one.I spun around and did doughnuts shooting rooster tails of sand.Its was a most amazing thing,he came in LOW!.2 of us had a lot of fun that day!LOL,my dog gave me the WHAT THE HELL DID YOU GET US INTO THIS TIME look.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.