Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Siddrix

Pro-Eminent-Domain Trump...

Siddrix    1,039

I can understand its use in a city,,, But i dont want someone like Monsanto to buy out my Familys Farm just for Corporate Greed... Thats just wrong...

sybdragon    1,505

I have mixed feelings about it. Like Trump, I also think it's a wonderful thing. And like Trump, who the interviewer did not allow to explain why and he was trying to explain his belief in it. And after that interview.... hate to say it but.... I agree with Trump there. There are very, very few people that are so attached to the property that they can not be bribed off of it. If they can not be bribed off of it because they are holding out for a fortune and yes, there are a lot of people that do that. People are nasty creatures really. Greedy, greedy and nasty.

Then you have the ones like me. lol I was going to hold on to my grandma's land forever. I inherited 10 acres. Just land. I would not let them check the place for gas and stuff. They kept sending me checks too. No, I didn't cash them. lol I do know the law. lol But I know lots of people that told me that it was free money but it's not. lol Anyway, legal stuff is digressing so... The gas company threatened to side slant drill on me. I laughed at that too. Told that dude that would not be in that company's best interest and they needed to leave me alone. They didn't listen of course. But I would have done something to their drilling stuff. I can harass people too ya know. ;) 

Anyway, the BP oil spill came around. I sold out. Really, really, really fast too. Took enough money to buy 11 1/2 acres in Kentucky. And we did too. It's how we got our property here. Of course, the septic, water, electric and all that stuff was extra. No one said anything about the $2000/1877Euro driveway. Or the $5000/4693euro septic system. And we only had a backhoe to dig the hole and field and the hubby and kid put that thing in or it was going to cost another $2000. All total, we spent around $10,000/9386Euro setting the place up as we picked a spot that was a couple acres/hectares plus long driveway. No one mentioned putting in shut off valves on the water line so when it sprang a leak.... lol It was dig a hole and shut off the water to see if the leak is above or below the new shut off valve. And there are now around 6 shut off valves, around 50ft/15.24meters until we found the leak. lol And well, we need more shut off valves but we found the leak so those will be put in if that part leaks. The hubby is over the digging and shut off valves. lol We didn't have electricity for the first couple months. I took a bath in a 5 gallon bucket of water left out in the sun and it would get hot and you would have to put cold water in it to use it. It was an adventure. :) 

So I do understand how land could be special to people. Damn BP!!! But most of the time, that is not the case. There are very few cases where it's emotional. Most of the time, it's greed making them hold on to the property. Pure greed.

Eminent domain has changed a little. It used to be only for public works. Roads, bridges, dams, schools, public stuff. Now they also use if for private corporations. The reason they did this is because they said that it is public good if jobs are created. So they will take land for jobs. Especially if the area is depressed. It usually turns into a big fight with sides taken. And most people/peons go with the little man instead of the corporation. But.... that is an emotional stance, not a monetary stance. And sometimes, it pure greed. And that usually shocks the emotional twats when the peon sells out when their price is met or they get court ordered out.

By law, they must pay the going rate for your property. Do they really pay that? I have seen some greedy people walk away with a lot more than their property was worth while everyone else that sold out made chump change. So.... that knife cuts both ways....

In the end.... I agree with Trump... :pirate:

apache54    4,913
5 hours ago, Siddrix said:

I can understand its use in a city,,, But i dont want someone like Monsanto to buy out my Familys Farm just for Corporate Greed... Thats just wrong...

Eminent domain WAS suppose to be used for city only, where the growth of the city was stopped by people who would not sell there property. I don't like it but I understand in a "CITY ONLY" it has a place as a LAST resort,  BUT ANYWHERE ELSE and for a big busness to do this is WRONG! all that does is open the door for someone with deep pockets to take your place because they want it. Here in the states we already have something almost as bad and that is mineral rights (under ground) versus the land owner on the ground level, they can do things on your property and you cannot stop them. The people have all been screwed for years thinking they OWN there property, but IF they can take it from you AFTER you have paid for it, then they have lied and you really don't own it!

sybdragon    1,505

That is why you buy all the rights to your property. I do not buy property that does not include the mineral and timber rights here in KY. And if I want the property and those are sold off, if I can get them, I will buy the property but I want all rights to my property. No one else is mixed into this deal. I owned the mineral rights on the property I sold too. That's why they were bugging me about testing the property for gas. They just wanted to know if it was worth side slanting onto my property and I wasn't having that at all. And I knew that and that guy knew that too. They would have had to pay me for my gas even if they side slanted onto it. And they didn't want to do that. They just wanted to tell me they didn't find anything and side slant anyway. All the property owners around me let them walk the land with their little device and I was a hold out. Why did they need my little ole 10 square acres/hectares to test? They should have a good idea if gas was there as my neighbor let them test all around me. I was the middle holdout. ;) 

I sold the place untested too. lol They was only paying $100/94Euro. Chump change. Wasn't having it. I was waiting on them to offer me $500/469Euro. I would have let them for that price. $50/47E an acre. I would have been a happy, greedy person. But I still would not have let them drill. Don't want that crap on my land. Take the money and run.  :gsbrnint:

Cinnamon    23,078

When there are corrupt government officials colluding with big business regarding eminent domain, it's one of the most reprehensible acts imaginable regarding property rights. 

apache54    4,913
4 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

When there are corrupt government officials colluding with big business regarding eminent domain, it's one of the most reprehensible acts imaginable regarding property rights. 

Isn't that the truth!

Brio    1,038
8 hours ago, sybdragon said:

There are very, very few people that are so attached to the property that they can not be bribed off of it. If they can not be bribed off of it because they are holding out for a fortune and yes, there are a lot of people that do that. People are nasty creatures really. Greedy, greedy and nasty.

That isn't how it works. The city decides what your property is worth and that is what you get. Perhaps an offer from private developers would be higher but in eminent domain cases you take what they offer and you pack your bags. The end.

sybdragon    1,505
2 hours ago, Brio said:

That isn't how it works. The city decides what your property is worth and that is what you get. Perhaps an offer from private developers would be higher but in eminent domain cases you take what they offer and you pack your bags. The end.

From what the law reads, they have to give you market rate for your property. Not under and not over. I would suggest a lawyer if you are going through this. But they do have to pay you market rate. That is the law. Now what you settle for and what you don't fight for is on you. If you let them bully you, you will get what you get.  http://www.condemnation-law.com/eminent-domain-definition/faq/