Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ukshep

US gov't to pay Navajo Nation almost $200mn for water rights in Utah

Ukshep    20,176

Under a new bill introduced on Capitol Hill, the federal government would pay the Navajo Nation nearly $200 million for water projects, with another $8 million coming from Utah, as part of a deal to end more than a decade of contention over water rights.

Senator Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) introduced the bill on Thursday, with Representative Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) filing companion legislation in the House. Senate Bill 664 would authorize the US government to spend up to $198.3 million for Navajo water projects like wells, pipelines and treatment plants.

It took more than 13 years for a federal negotiations team from the Bureau of Reclamation, the state of Utah and the Navajo Nation to agree to a deal, which the current Navajo Nation Council listed as a priority when it took office in 2015. Formal discussions between Utah and the Navajo Nation began after the two sides signed a memorandum of agreement in 2003.

https://www.sott.net/article/347049-US-govt-to-pay-Navajo-Nation-almost-200mn-for-water-rights-in-Utah

Correct me if I am wrong but this is a good thing right?

apache54    4,913
23 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

Under a new bill introduced on Capitol Hill, the federal government would pay the Navajo Nation nearly $200 million for water projects, with another $8 million coming from Utah, as part of a deal to end more than a decade of contention over water rights.

Senator Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) introduced the bill on Thursday, with Representative Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) filing companion legislation in the House. Senate Bill 664 would authorize the US government to spend up to $198.3 million for Navajo water projects like wells, pipelines and treatment plants.

It took more than 13 years for a federal negotiations team from the Bureau of Reclamation, the state of Utah and the Navajo Nation to agree to a deal, which the current Navajo Nation Council listed as a priority when it took office in 2015. Formal discussions between Utah and the Navajo Nation began after the two sides signed a memorandum of agreement in 2003.

https://www.sott.net/article/347049-US-govt-to-pay-Navajo-Nation-almost-200mn-for-water-rights-in-Utah

Correct me if I am wrong but this is a good thing right?

YES, this is a GOOD thing for the Indians,  many places (actually most) on the tribal lands do not have running  water available, many Indians drive miles to a community well and haul water back to the home, normally it is only used to cook and drink, baths are done differently.  There culture is very interesting so are MOST of the Southwest Indians, they have history that talks of many things that goes along with theories on other dimensions and under ground worlds. Years ago they were still being screwed over from the white man, I saw first hand stores sell TV's and electronics to Indians who had NO electricity and of course NOT take the items back because there was nothing wrong with the item purchased.  In some ways I hate to see the modernization occur as they will continue to loose there heritage and knowledge of there past.

Ukshep    20,176
Just now, apache54 said:

YES, this is a GOOD thing for the Indians,  many places (actually most) on the tribal lands do not have running  water available, many Indians drive miles to a community well and haul water back to the home, normally it is only used to cook and drink, baths are done differently.  There culture is very interesting so are MOST of the Southwest Indians, they have history that talks of many things that goes along with theories on other dimensions and under ground worlds. Years ago they were still being screwed over from the white man, I saw first hand stores sell TV's and electronics to Indians who had NO electricity and of course NOT take the items back because there was nothing wrong with the item purchased.  In some ways I hate to see the modernization occur as they will continue to loose there heritage and knowledge of there past.

I think because of the slow inclusion into the outside world over time may help them keep the heritage and culture intact. They initial shock will have passed and they will be rooted in who they are now more than ever. Small victories.

apache54    4,913
2 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

I think because of the slow inclusion into the outside world over time may help them keep the heritage and culture intact. They initial shock will have passed and they will be rooted in who they are now more than ever. Small victories.

I hope you are correct. and I know they have dedicated Shaman who are the keepers of the past, so they should be able to maintain a good share of it, I can remember in the seventies as a younger person i saw the effects of the alcohol on them (reservations are dry) they would come to town on wknds and i saw hundreds of them passed out in alleys and streets around the bars, and of course saw allot of people rob them while they were passed out, one time we were going somewhere and the only way to get there thru a side street and I had to help drag the drunk bodies out of the way so we could drive thru.

Ukshep    20,176
7 minutes ago, apache54 said:

I hope you are correct. and I know they have dedicated Shaman who are the keepers of the past, so they should be able to maintain a good share of it, I can remember in the seventies as a younger person i saw the effects of the alcohol on them (reservations are dry) they would come to town on wknds and i saw hundreds of them passed out in alleys and streets around the bars, and of course saw allot of people rob them while they were passed out, one time we were going somewhere and the only way to get there thru a side street and I had to help drag the drunk bodies out of the way so we could drive thru.

As long as the first thing they do with tech is update their knowledge. storage of knowledge then I think all would be well. They have to act on that immediately!

Uncle Nobby    1,263

sorry to say, but if the government is involved, it is not being done to help the Navajo Nation. It is far more likely to be a cover for stealing all the water rights in that area. Just like "legalizing" marijuana, is actually a cover for taxing and controlling it all, so these water deals will be the same shit. We are wayyyyyy to far down the road, not to see anything the oligarchs do as benevolent towards the people. Leopards do not change their spots.