Jump to content
Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

titanic1

27 Days Till Government Shutdown

Recommended Posts

 titanic1    244

 

The government will run out of funding in one month and the shutdown talk has already begun

Hey, look at this! Government funding runs out in one month! The last 20 days in the House of Representatives has been absolutely bonkers. But get used to it, because you know what happens when there isn't a budget, and appropriations committees don't work, and the government has been running on a continuing resolution from the last administration? You got it, government shutdown threats.

In fact, one Republican tells Mike Allen of Axios that a shutdown is "more likely than not," and that's a problem because "Wall Street is not expecting a shutdown and the markets are unprepared."

And Chris Krueger of Cowen Washington Research Group today will warn financial clients: "Hello April 29 government shutdown." […]
A senior GOP aide disputed the bearish forecasts: "The White House and Republicans on the Hill cannot/won't risk a shutdown. Given the last week — it's out of the question."

Reality check: While the GOP may have the will, party strategists don't see the way: The bleak House GOP math remains, with no sign it'll change. And the GOP can't count on the twin hail Marys floated over the weekend: enlisting moderate Dems (as we reported yesterday), or the Congressional Black Caucus (as Jonathan Swan revealed in his Sunday-night newsletter, Sneak Peek).

https://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/3/27/1647772/-The-government-runs-out-of-funding-in-one-month-and-the-shutdown-talk-has-already-begun

Saturday, April 29, will mark President Trump's 100th day in office. But will it also mark Day 1 of a government shutdown?
It will if Congress doesn't pass a spending bill soon that authorizes funding for the federal government -- and if the president doesn't sign it.
The current temporary spending bill -- a so-called continuing resolution -- expires on April 28. But there are still five months remaining for this fiscal year that need funding.
It certainly won't look good if the government shuts down on Republicans' watch, since they control both Congress and the White House, especially given questions about their ability to govern in the wake of the party's recent failure to accomplish its No. 1 goal: Obamacare repeal.
"Republicans do not want a shutdown. Oh my God, they don't want that," said Steve Bell, a former senior staffer on the Senate Budget Committee.

So what happens in a shutdown?
Threats of a shutdown are far more common than actual shutdowns. The last one occurred in October 2013, and the one prior to that was in late 1995. But in all instances, shutdowns are a waste of federal energy, time and resources.
Those that last a while also can take a toll on the economy and businesses' bottom line.
"Federal contractors don't get paid, they lay people off," said budget policy expert Stan Collender.
If it looks like a shutdown will occur, the White House budget office will work with federal agencies to determine which federal functions and employees are essential or "excepted." Those that typically make the grade pertain to health, safety and defense, but the White House has latitude in how broadly it defines "excepted."
Agencies and services considered non-essential -- such as federal museums and national parks -- will be shuttered until the shutdown is over. Hundreds of thousands of federal workers are likely to be furloughed without pay. Congress may decide after the shutdown to pay them for the time off anyway. But the financial disruption for them can be a problem if, like many Americans, they live paycheck to paycheck.

Taken from: http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/29/news/economy/government-shutdown/

There are some signs that Republican leaders want to head off a shutdown next month. Leaders signaled Tuesday they were likely to exclude the most contentious provisions from legislation needed to keep the government running past April, The Wall Street Journal reported. It cited House Speaker Paul Ryan suggesting the House wouldn’t try to strip funding from Planned Parenthood, and Sen. Roy Blunt suggesting the April spending bill would likely exclude President Donald Trump’s request to start construction of a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border and to boost military spending. Blunt is a member of the Senate GOP leadership.

But what if leaders’ plans don’t pan out?

In addition to not being able to get in to Yellowstone or the National Zoo, callers should not expect to get a quick answer if they dial a federal agency. During the 2013 shutdown, about 850,000 federal employees were furloughed immediately after funding ran out. However, most civilian employees at the Pentagon went back to work after a week and more than 8,000 workers at the Social Security Administration were also recalled.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres-what-would-happen-during-a-government-shutdown-2017-03-29

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 apache54    4,939
10 minutes ago, titanic1 said:

 

The government will run out of funding in one month and the shutdown talk has already begun

Hey, look at this! Government funding runs out in one month! The last 20 days in the House of Representatives has been absolutely bonkers. But get used to it, because you know what happens when there isn't a budget, and appropriations committees don't work, and the government has been running on a continuing resolution from the last administration? You got it, government shutdown threats.

In fact, one Republican tells Mike Allen of Axios that a shutdown is "more likely than not," and that's a problem because "Wall Street is not expecting a shutdown and the markets are unprepared."

And Chris Krueger of Cowen Washington Research Group today will warn financial clients: "Hello April 29 government shutdown." […]
A senior GOP aide disputed the bearish forecasts: "The White House and Republicans on the Hill cannot/won't risk a shutdown. Given the last week — it's out of the question."

Reality check: While the GOP may have the will, party strategists don't see the way: The bleak House GOP math remains, with no sign it'll change. And the GOP can't count on the twin hail Marys floated over the weekend: enlisting moderate Dems (as we reported yesterday), or the Congressional Black Caucus (as Jonathan Swan revealed in his Sunday-night newsletter, Sneak Peek).

https://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/3/27/1647772/-The-government-runs-out-of-funding-in-one-month-and-the-shutdown-talk-has-already-begun

Saturday, April 29, will mark President Trump's 100th day in office. But will it also mark Day 1 of a government shutdown?
It will if Congress doesn't pass a spending bill soon that authorizes funding for the federal government -- and if the president doesn't sign it.
The current temporary spending bill -- a so-called continuing resolution -- expires on April 28. But there are still five months remaining for this fiscal year that need funding.
It certainly won't look good if the government shuts down on Republicans' watch, since they control both Congress and the White House, especially given questions about their ability to govern in the wake of the party's recent failure to accomplish its No. 1 goal: Obamacare repeal.
"Republicans do not want a shutdown. Oh my God, they don't want that," said Steve Bell, a former senior staffer on the Senate Budget Committee.

So what happens in a shutdown?
Threats of a shutdown are far more common than actual shutdowns. The last one occurred in October 2013, and the one prior to that was in late 1995. But in all instances, shutdowns are a waste of federal energy, time and resources.
Those that last a while also can take a toll on the economy and businesses' bottom line.
"Federal contractors don't get paid, they lay people off," said budget policy expert Stan Collender.
If it looks like a shutdown will occur, the White House budget office will work with federal agencies to determine which federal functions and employees are essential or "excepted." Those that typically make the grade pertain to health, safety and defense, but the White House has latitude in how broadly it defines "excepted."
Agencies and services considered non-essential -- such as federal museums and national parks -- will be shuttered until the shutdown is over. Hundreds of thousands of federal workers are likely to be furloughed without pay. Congress may decide after the shutdown to pay them for the time off anyway. But the financial disruption for them can be a problem if, like many Americans, they live paycheck to paycheck.

Taken from: http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/29/news/economy/government-shutdown/

There are some signs that Republican leaders want to head off a shutdown next month. Leaders signaled Tuesday they were likely to exclude the most contentious provisions from legislation needed to keep the government running past April, The Wall Street Journal reported. It cited House Speaker Paul Ryan suggesting the House wouldn’t try to strip funding from Planned Parenthood, and Sen. Roy Blunt suggesting the April spending bill would likely exclude President Donald Trump’s request to start construction of a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border and to boost military spending. Blunt is a member of the Senate GOP leadership.

But what if leaders’ plans don’t pan out?

In addition to not being able to get in to Yellowstone or the National Zoo, callers should not expect to get a quick answer if they dial a federal agency. During the 2013 shutdown, about 850,000 federal employees were furloughed immediately after funding ran out. However, most civilian employees at the Pentagon went back to work after a week and more than 8,000 workers at the Social Security Administration were also recalled.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres-what-would-happen-during-a-government-shutdown-2017-03-29

The opposing powers try to make this to be HORRIBLE and SCARY  "The world will stop!" IF the government shuts down, they forgot to tell the public that the government DOES NOT FULLY shut down there are laws in place to keep the core running, it is a scare tactic to try to get panicked people to push thru more CRAP we don't need. Sure there are issues and some people might have some problems and be  inconvenienced during it. This is mostly a political ploy and we the people should be demanding they reach a realistic budget PLAN! and a explanation to the public of how it will work OR explain why they are too STUPID to do so! IF they are too stupid to NOT pass a budget then they are to stupid to be in OFFICE !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Cinnamon    23,144

This is news every time they're supposed to pass a budget. They know it's coming and wait until the last minute every time. Useless eaters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 apache54    4,939
2 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

This is news every time they're supposed to pass a budget. They know it's coming and wait until the last minute every time. Useless eaters. 

DAMN correct!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 LuckyBolt    1,315

This is one way to really drain a swamp and piss people off...  just sayin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 apache54    4,939
4 hours ago, LuckyBolt said:

This is one way to really drain a swamp and piss people off...  just sayin.

All depends on what they do or don't do, for many years now they have NOT done jack crap!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 abigfatzero    2,455

Quote from the OP.

Those that last a while also can take a toll on the economy and businesses' bottom line.
"Federal contractors don't get paid, they lay people off," said budget policy expert Stan Collender.

(This is a bad thing? Getting rid of some of the parasites is a bad thing, how?)


If it looks like a shutdown will occur, the White House budget office will work with federal agencies to determine which federal functions and employees are essential or "excepted." Those that typically make the grade pertain to health, safety and defense, but the White House has latitude in how broadly it defines "excepted."
Agencies and services considered non-essential -- such as (congress) federal museums and national parks -- will be shuttered until the shutdown is over. Hundreds of thousands of federal workers are likely to be furloughed without pay. Congress may decide after the shutdown to pay them for the time off anyway. But the financial disruption for them can be a problem if, like many Americans, they live paycheck to paycheck. :tissuespls:

(Awe poor babies, how about we send congress home, they have become non-essential, here's Trumps chance to "drain the swamp")

(And how about we keep the museums open and the national monuments, and, give the parks back to the states where they are located.)

 

This sounds like political theater to me (below), the Luciferian's in congress don't want these things and they are using the "budget crisis" as an excuse to not do them. If they do not allocate money for the wall, trump should send in the military and arrest them for treason, along with, everyone in the State Department.

There are some signs that Republican leaders want to head off a shutdown next month. Leaders signaled Tuesday they were likely to exclude the most contentious provisions from legislation needed to keep the government running past April, The Wall Street Journal reported. It cited House Speaker Paul Ryan suggesting the House wouldn’t try to strip funding from Planned Parenthood, and Sen. Roy Blunt suggesting the April spending bill would likely exclude President Donald Trump’s request to start construction of a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border and to boost military spending. Blunt is a member of the Senate GOP leadership.

End of Quote.......

 

Just so everyone is clear, a "Budget" is money they decide to spend on certain item's in the government, kind of like when you decide to allocate a certain amount of your income for a vacation, sometimes you spend more, sometimes you spend less, but, you never spend all of your income on a vacation, unless your an idiot.

 

This where the CAFR (Comprehensive Annual Financial Report) comes into play.

 

Introduction to the CAFR - Why You Can't Get Ahead

In the gooberment, each department makes sure they spend all of the "budget" because, if they don't, they will not get that much allocated (budgeted) to them next year.

In the Navy we use to throw stuff overboard to make sure we used up the "budget".

 

Added comment

Hey, I've got an idea, we should defund Planned No Parent in the Hood and use that money to build the wall, budget problem solved.

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×