Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fourth echelon

Study: King Phillip II buried in Tomb I not Tomb II

1 post in this topic

VERGINA, Greece, July 21 (UPI) -- King Philip II of Macedonia, dad to Alexander the Great, isn't missing -- but he's not in the tomb researchers thought he was.

In 1978, archaeologists located the ancient royal tombs at Great Tumulus hill, in the northern Greece town of Vergina. The tombs were of interest to archaeologists and historians, as records indicated relatives of Alexander the Great were buried there.

Two tombs were excavated, and initially researchers believed the remains of King Philip were inside what came to be known as Tomb II.

But a new analysis of the remains suggests otherwise.

In 336 B.C., three years before Philip II was slain, the king's leg was pierced by a lance, rendering him lame. Scanning and radiography technology recently revealed a pair of perfectly healthy legs inside Tomb II. Inside Tomb I, however, are the remains of a 45-year-old man with a significant knee wound.

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2015/07/21/Study-King-Phillip-II-buried-in-Tomb-I-not-Tomb-II/8221437488795/?spt=sec&or=sn