Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ukshep

Unexplained explosion coming from a galaxy 10.7 billion light-years away

Ukshep    19,871

Scientists have taken the deepest X-ray image of our Universe to date - and within it, they've found evidence of a huge, unexplained explosion coming from a galaxy around 10.7 billion light-years away. The galaxy itself appears to be fairly faint and unremarkable, but in October 2014, it suddenly became at least 1,000 times brighter over a few hours, before fading into oblivion again. No astronomical phenomenon that scientists currently know of can explain the behaviour. "We may have observed a completely new type of cataclysmic event," said one of the researchers Kevin Schawinski, from ETH Zurich in Switzerland.

https://www.sott.net/article/346851-Unexplained-explosion-coming-from-a-galaxy-10-7-billion-light-years-away

Will be interesting to see if we find out anything more about this!

kbet    844

An echo. I could explain the nature of space, and it's relation to matter, but that would just confuse people.

schon    778
4 hours ago, Ukshep said:

Scientists have taken the deepest X-ray image of our Universe to date - and within it, they've found evidence of a huge, unexplained explosion coming from a galaxy around 10.7 billion light-years away. The galaxy itself appears to be fairly faint and unremarkable, but in October 2014, it suddenly became at least 1,000 times brighter over a few hours, before fading into oblivion again. No astronomical phenomenon that scientists currently know of can explain the behaviour. "We may have observed a completely new type of cataclysmic event," said one of the researchers Kevin Schawinski, from ETH Zurich in Switzerland.

https://www.sott.net/article/346851-Unexplained-explosion-coming-from-a-galaxy-10-7-billion-light-years-away

Will be interesting to see if we find out anything more about this!

COOL!

RabidWolf    1,074

Always a fun thing to look at something unknown and think, "I wonder what that is?"

Was it a gamma ray burst?

Did we just witness a black hole form?

Did some alien civilization mess around with the wrong particle or try to tame a type of energy humans haven't even fantasized about yet?

Was God being an asshole and using flash photography again?

We will never, ever know.

Walk Softly    2,631

I would just like to point out that One (1) light year is about.... 

5.88 TRILLION MILES. 

What is the math when this supposed explosion was 10.7 Billion light years away? 

You really think we could see light that far away?  Honestly... Just mull that over. 

What is 5.88 trillion times 10.7 billion? Because that's how many miles away this is supposed to be. 

Tarmalen    1,295
24 minutes ago, Walk Softly said:

5.88 TRILLION MILES. 

What is the math when this supposed explosion was 10.7 Billion light years away? 

You really think we could see light that far away?  Honestly... Just mull that over. 

What is 5.88 trillion times 10.7 billion? Because that's how many miles away this is supposed to be. 

Seeing as an energy wave (light/infrared/x-rays) never dissipates (unless striking an object) then yes we can see the wave that is from a long time ago.

What ever event they are seeing happened many thousands of years ago.

RabidWolf    1,074
9 minutes ago, Walk Softly said:

5.88 TRILLION MILES. 

I mulled it over.

Yup, we should be able to detect it as long as there isn't too much matter between the source, and us. 

However, this wasn't a visible light detection event, it was an x-ray detection event. (and x-rays pass through a lot more matter than visible light can)

That said, in a completely empty environment, visible light wouldn't be affected at all by any distance no matter how huge the number is.

RhetoricalRebel    1,586
53 minutes ago, Walk Softly said:

5.88 TRILLION MILES. 

Something close to 62,916,000,000,000,000,000,000 miles.

Walk Softly    2,631
4 minutes ago, RhetoricalRebel said:

Something close to 62,916,000,000,000,000,000,000 miles.

Lol.  Thanks for writing that out.  

VonLud    843
3 hours ago, kbet said:

An echo. I could explain the nature of space, and it's relation to matter, but that would just confuse people.

Don't hurt us.

VonLud    843
54 minutes ago, Tarmalen said:

What ever event they are seeing happened many thousands of years ago.

To be accurate, whatever event they are seeing happened 10.7 Billion years ago.

If you believe the narrative.