Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ukshep

The EU's Draft Brexit Guidelines Look Anything But Punitive

Ukshep    20,193

Open Europe's Vincenzo Scarpetta gives his initial take on the first draft of the EU's guidelines for the upcoming Brexit negotiations.

European Council President Donald Tusk is a man of his word. He promised he would have a first draft of the Brexit negotiating guidelines for the 27 remaining EU member states ready within 48 hours from the moment the UK triggered the Article 50 exit mechanism – and he delivered. Overall, the document reads as anything but punitive. Below are my initial thoughts.

The door is wide open for parallel negotiations, albeit not from the very beginning

Over the past couple of days, the media have been (arguably too) quick to jump on carefully worded statements by a number of EU leaders – notably including German Chancellor Angela Merkel, on whose remarks my colleague Henry Newman blogged here – and conclude that the 27 were going to flat out reject Theresa May’s request to run ‘parallel negotiations’ on the terms of the divorce and the future UK-EU relationship.

However, the draft guidelines make it clear that parallel negotiations will be fully possible during the two-year timeframe stipulated by Article 50 – provided that “sufficient progress” on the terms of the withdrawal is achieved. In other words, the door is wide open for parallel negotiations – albeit not from the very beginning. This is the exact wording,

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-03-31/eus-draft-brexit-guidelines-look-anything-punitive

Give the thing a read! what do you think??

schon    778

I think a middle finger is appropriate,and doesnt cost a whit.