Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cinnamon

Amazon and Walmart are in an all-out price war that is terrifying America’s biggest brands

Cinnamon    23,043

Last month, Walmart gathered some of America’s biggest household brands near its Arkansas headquarters for a tough talk. For years, Walmart had dominated the retail landscape on the back of its “Everyday Low Price” guarantee. But now, Walmart was too often getting beaten on price.

So company executives were there, in part, to reset expectations with Walmart’s suppliers — the consumer brands whose chips, sodas and diapers line the shelves of its Supercenters and its website.

Walmart wants to have the lowest price on 80 percent of its sales, according to a presentation the company made at the summit, which Recode reviewed.

To accomplish that, the brands that sell their goods through Walmart would have to cut their wholesale prices or make other cost adjustments to shave at least 15 percent off. In some cases, vendors say they would lose money on each sale if they met Walmart’s demands.

Brands that agree to play ball with Walmart could expect better distribution and more strategic help from the giant retailer. And to those that didn’t? Walmart said it would limit their distribution and create its own branded products to directly challenge its own suppliers.

<snip>

https://www.recode.net/2017/3/30/14831602/amazon-walmart-cpg-grocery-price-war

Don't worry big brands, as usual, you will think up ways to make food not only cheaper, but much unhealthier for people to consume, if not, Walmart will start a company and put you out of business! 

kbet    844

Walmart needs to be shut down, as it is a horrific monopolist corporation.

Cinnamon    23,043
Just now, kbet said:

Walmart needs to be shut down, as it is a horrific monopolist corporation.

Amazon wants to be Walmart 2.0. 

Siddrix    1,039

Iv'e noticed that some items at wally world are almost dirt cheap and other items like Bacon is almost outrageous, and now they wont price match items because of the online amazon wars...

COBO Member    3,350
48 minutes ago, Siddrix said:

items like Bacon is almost outrageous

Went camping a couple of weekends back. Stopped by their meat section and almost fell out when I saw my favorite brand of bacon priced almost $10/3lbs. Change of menu folks. It's breakfast burritos in the morning!

Cinnamon    23,043
3 minutes ago, COBO Member said:

Went camping a couple of weekends back. Stopped by their meat section and almost fell out when I saw my favorite brand of bacon priced almost $10/3lbs. Change of menu folks. It's breakfast burritos in the morning!

That sounds really cheap to me, what do you usually pay for bacon? 

COBO Member    3,350
4 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

Around here, I catch it on sale for just over $6.

Bobbers    199

Any idiot can sell a dollar for 90 cents, that takes no talent at all.

Doing "business" with Walmart is akin to a bunch of chickens asking the fox to join in for a strategy session.  They, Walmart, have bankrupted more than one company that was lured by the siren song of "high volume". 

When, however, one loses "just a little bit" on each sale, the higher the volume the more quickly one goes bankrupt.

I've "fired" bad customers  more than once in my life.  My mantra was always "do we want to be BIG or do we want to be PROFITABLE?"  Size and profitability don't necessarily go hand in hand.

Rant off....sorry about that.

Siddrix    1,039
1 hour ago, Cinnamon said:

Normally i could get decent bacon for 3 bucks... But then again, China did buy out our largest pork produceing company...

JustATrucker    573
3 hours ago, Cinnamon said:

Amazon wants to be Walmart 2.0. 

They are. I heard that they are bigger, than Walmart, Target, CVS and a couple of others combined...

Cryptic Mole    4,397

I remember a while back when I ordered 8 cases of 24 count bottled water for I believe it was only $2.49 per case with free shipping from Walmart. I know both Walmart and Amazon have special arrangments with special shipping prices with the USPS, but those cases were as heavy as fvck!

Cryptic Mole    4,397
2 hours ago, JustATrucker said:

They are. I heard that they are bigger, than Walmart, Target, CVS and a couple of others combined...

Amazon is awesome. I have a prime account and all shipping is free with all other prime sellers. Shipping is just one day and sometimes even the same day. If you purchase your groceries you pay an additional $15.00 per month and their prices are very competitive and also with free shipping. I can even place smaller orders for anything via my Amazon Alexa second generation dot.

Giddyup Walmart, you've got lots of catching up to do!