Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cinnamon

Death At Your Door: Knock-And-Talk Police Tactics Rip A Hole In The Constitution

Cinnamon    23,043

“It’s 4 in the morning, there’s headlights that are shining into your house; there’s a number of different officers that are now on the premises; they’re wearing tactical gear; they have weapons; and they approach your front door. Do you think that the ordinary citizen in that situation feels that they have an obligation to comply?”— Michigan Supreme Court Justice Richard Bernstein

It’s 1:30 a.m., a time when most people are asleep.

Your neighborhood is in darkness, except for a few street lamps. Someone—he doesn’t identify himself and the voice isn’t familiar—is pounding on your front door, demanding that you open up. Your heart begins racing. Your stomach is tied in knots. The adrenaline is pumping through you. You fear that it’s an intruder or worse. You not only fear for your life, but the lives of your loved ones.

The aggressive pounding continues, becoming more jarring with every passing second. Desperate to protect yourself and your loved ones from whatever threat awaits on the other side of that door, you scramble to lay hold of something—anything—that you might use in self-defense. It might be a flashlight, a baseball bat, or that licensed and registered gun you thought you’d never need. You brace for the confrontation, a shaky grip on your weapon, and approach the door cautiously. The pounding continues.

You open the door to find a shadowy figure aiming a gun in your direction. Immediately, you back up and retreat further into your apartment. At the same time, the intruder opens fire, sending a hail of bullets in your direction. Three of the bullets make contact. You die without ever raising your weapon or firing your gun in self-defense. In your final moments, you get a good look at your assailant: it’s the police.

This is what passes for “knock-and-talk” policing in the American police state.

“Knock-and-shoot” policing might be more accurate, however.

<snip>

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-03-29/death-your-door-knock-and-talk-police-tactics-rip-hole-constitution

Sounds as good as no knock warrants and getting the wrong house! 

CGK    2,626

Cinn, that's a great story but this is how it works in Texas...

4 am...bunch of crap going on outside your house. You grab your AR and holler, "what do y'all want?" Then you say, "Get the hell out  of here or I'm gonna shoot your ass!"

If they don't leave, you start shooting, Maybe not shooting to kill  but just send enough rounds their way to let them know you mean business. Unload a clip or two to  let them know that if they want to mess with you..they will need re-enforcement's.

Game On!

I'm glad Az has stand your ground  and castle law that crap doesn't happen here. 4 am I'm well within my rights to answer armed and so long as a legal announcement of who they are and why they are their I'm within my rights to use deadly force. It is also Illegal for police to not announce themselves its called entrapment. 

Ukshep    20,144
7 hours ago, CGK said:

Cinn, that's a great story but this is how it works in Texas...

4 am...bunch of crap going on outside your house. You grab your AR and holler, "what do y'all want?" Then you say, "Get the hell out  of here or I'm gonna shoot your ass!"

If they don't leave, you start shooting, Maybe not shooting to kill  but just send enough rounds their way to let them know you mean business. Unload a clip or two to  let them know that if they want to mess with you..they will need re-enforcement's.

Game On!

Your a badass ain't ya just like cin!

Wyks    59

Fifteen years or so, middle of the afternoon, teen-age sons and about 8 of their friends and I were watching a movie.. We see/hear a 'flash-bang' mere seconds before the front door gets kicked in, followed by the rush of a fully suited swat team into the room, 'hit the floor and freeze!'.  :blink:

Of course we were all still stunned by the flash-bang.  When they yelled again to hit the floor, I was like well f*, they mean me too.   Thinking surely they had the wrong house, I then see my youngest son's face.  Well f*, he knows exactly what's going on, whispering 'I'm sorry mom'.  :blink:  

Cops let me sit in a chair.  Then I realized that while they did have a search warrant, it was for the house next door.  The first kid they were arresting wasn't mine, he lived next door. He was at our house that day.  Cops separated the teens, took them outside, spread them out (all under age btw) and began questioning them.  I was like 'oh HELL to the NO!!!!!!!'  Running from one teen to another, reminding them don't say anything til your parents get here!  Telling the cops they did NOT have an adult's permission to gain info from those teens.  They just shook me off, said to take it up with an atty, go back into the house, etc.  Sigh..  shaking head.  

My sons were questioned, but not involved thank goodness.  Still a scary thing when the cops are not following the law themselves during the majority of the situ.  So I later on did ask an atty about it.  He said when cops have a situ like a raid etc, it won't matter to a judge what 'law' they break themselves, in getting what and who they want.  Disgusting that only we citizens are the ones who must obey every law.  

What I will give the cops tho.. when they busted in my front door, they literally scared the poo out of our cat who was in kitchen at the time.  I saw one of the cops, still in full tactical gear, cleaning up after the cat.  lol  They must experience a lot of that when breaking down doors. 

But knocking or breaking in a door and open firing from the get-go, that's wayyyyyy over the edge.  Especially considering how many times they get the wrong freaking address.