Advertise With Us!
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Ukshep

Some electronics to be banned on some US-bound flights

Rate this topic

Ukshep    14,395

Royal Jordanian Airlines is advising passengers that laptops, iPads, cameras and other electronics won't be allowed in carry-on luggage for U.S.-bound flights starting Tuesday.

The U.S. Homeland Security Department is declining to comment.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_AIRPLANE_SECURITY_LAPTOPS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-03-20-16-22-55

So I take it someone has Intel of an imminent threat??

Mindzen    271

Ok Passengers, you cannot carry your bombs disguised as laptops, ipads, cameras and other electronic devices in your carry on luggage ......

you'll have to put them in the checked-in luggage department inside the plane instead.

Thanks!

Ukshep    14,395
12 minutes ago, Mindzen said:

Ok Passengers, you cannot carry your bombs disguised as laptops, ipads, cameras and other electronic devices in your carry on luggage ......

you'll have to put them in the checked-in luggage department inside the plane instead.

Thanks!

Sounds about right.... Ugh :wootrock:

billgates    29

Like how at most airports they confiscate Liquids...

....in case they are explosive...

...And throw them into a bin,

....full of potential other explosive liquids?

... In one of the busiest areas in the Airport?????? 

• Like 1

Martin    180

So if a device catches fire (It doesn't have to be a bomb, li-ion batteries are enough of a danger themselves), instead of taking care of it immediately, they'll have no idea it happened until itl kill everyone on board. Nice "security" measure, makes perfect sense...

radio doc    351
Posted (edited)

imo, there was nothing wrong with the nimh batteries, they never had these problems! sure,  they dont hold a charge as long as lion batts but they were safe!

we need to pressure the manufacturers and phone companies to provide a device that uses nimh batts. if a phone company offered such a device it would sell bigtime ( id buy one!) and with all the safety concerns it would quickly become a market leader. when its declared airline safe! while lion batt devices arent!

theres an idea for a little phone company to take a big leap in the marketplace!

id rather carry a charger than get burned!

if i hit the powerball lottery, im gonna start a phone company and provide airline safe phones!

#airline safe phones! #childsafe phone

im a gonna at least start a campain for this even if i dont win lottery!

and the e-cigs are next!

Edited by radio doc
add

Martin    180
19 minutes ago, radio doc said:

imo, there was nothing wrong with the nimh batteries, they never had these problems! sure,  they dont hold a charge as long as lion batts but they were safe!

we need to pressure the manufacturers and phone companies to provide a device that uses nimh batts. if a phone company offered such a device it would sell bigtime ( id buy one!) and with all the safety concerns it would quickly become a market leader. when its declared airline safe! while lion batt devices arent!

theres an idea for a little phone company to take a big leap in the marketplace!

id rather carry a charger than get burned!

if i hit the powerball lottery, im gonna start a phone company and provide airline safe phones!

#airline safe phones! #childsafe phone

im a gonna at least start a campain for this even if i dont win lottery!

and the e-cigs are next!

As far as i know nimh batteries have lower density (Bigger size and weight for the same mah), but new and better technologies are being discovered all the time. I think they refuse to implement them because they'll have much longer lifespan and phones will no longer have an expiration date.

radio doc    351
17 minutes ago, Martin said:

As far as i know nimh batteries have lower density (Bigger size and weight for the same mah), but new and better technologies are being discovered all the time. I think they refuse to implement them because they'll have much longer lifespan and phones will no longer have an expiration date.

you are correct, but do we really need to hold several days of capacity in our phones? is anyone away from a charger for that long?

Martin    180
9 minutes ago, radio doc said:

you are correct, but do we really need to hold several days of capacity in our phones? is anyone away from a charger for that long?

One day is fine, yes, as long as it's unconditional and you can achieve a day under any (Even constant) usage and we still seem to be far from it.

But what I meant is the charge/discharge cycles before the battery needs to be replaced (And when the time comes, with the non-removable batteries most people will just replace their phones instead). Especially with quick charging (And especially if the battery is not big enough and you need to recharge it twice a day or even more), it's a problem and makes phones disposable, more or less. 

radio doc    351
Posted (edited)

its the non removable aspect here thats the problem, i had phones that used nimh batteries and i had several spare batteries so that i didnt have to have the phone attached to the charger, id simply swap batteries. but just one battery would make it through the whole day usaully. these non removable batterys require the phone to be tethered to a charger for several hours!

id much rather carry a spare battery!

you are correct about the life span. its shorter, but cheaper and safer

i for one, am not willing to sacrifice safety in favor of capacity or lifespan!

i still have that old casio phone, but verizon refuses to activate it saying federal law requires all phones to have gps capability and this one didnt.

Edited by radio doc
add