Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ukshep

Marijuana poisoning a serious risk for Colorado dogs

Ukshep    20,117

Not sure if this is legit? or one of THOSE stories but take a look!

Candace Braden woke up one morning in late January to find her dog had lost his personality.

Four-year-old Finn, a normally energetic and friendly boxer/blue heeler mix, was stiff and unresponsive. His jaw was locked. His brown eyes, barely open, couldn’t register his owner’s panicked face.

He was high. But Braden didn’t know that yet.

“I was pretty much having a nervous breakdown,” Braden said. “It’s really scary to see your baby like that.”

Braden’s situation is more common than you might expect. Finn was one of the hundreds of dogs treated for marijuana toxicity at Fort Collins animal hospitals in the last year. Veterinarians at Fort Collins Veterinary Emergency and Rehabilitation Hospital said they see between 5 and 10 cases each week, and they’ve noticed an uptick since recreational marijuana became legal in Colorado.

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2017/03/20/marijuana-poisoning-serious-risk-colorado-dogs/99304356/

Cinnamon    22,994

My neighbor's dog ate a ton of butter and he slept for a whole day. My friend's smart assed yorkie got into my purse and ate a bag of it. Nothing happened other than sleepy dog. :) 

EDIT: I used to feed my Irish setter chocolate all the time, had no idea that it is supposed to kill them, never any adverse reactions from that either. Maybe it was luck? 

Ukshep    20,117
4 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

My neighbor's dog ate a ton of butter and he slept for a whole day. My friend's smart assed yorkie got into my purse and ate a bag of it. Nothing happened other than sleepy dog. :) 

EDIT: I used to feed my Irish setter chocolate all the time, had no idea that it is supposed to kill them, never any adverse reactions from that either. Maybe it was luck? 

Nanobot chocolate. They have no need for dogs in the new army! /sarc

Cinnamon    22,994
5 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

Nanobot chocolate. They have no need for dogs in the new army! /sarc

I guess not! But dogs are old tech and unless they can reprogram them and remove their instinct, we can still use them. :)

Walk Softly    2,690

Looks like most cases are people just overreacting.  I knew a guy once who had a cat that would actively seek out his stash and eat it.  Over and over.  The cat obviously enjoyed it.  I had a dog once that (not very often) would get right in my face until I blew smoke in her nose.  She knew exactly what she was doing.  She wouldn't turn her head away, and after one or two hits she would cuddle up next to me and just lay there... 

http://www.drbarchas.com/marijuana

1 hour ago, Walk Softly said:

Looks like most cases are people just overreacting.  I knew a guy once who had a cat that would actively seek out his stash and eat it.  Over and over.  The cat obviously enjoyed it.  I had a dog once that (not very often) would get right in my face until I blew smoke in her nose.  She knew exactly what she was doing.  She wouldn't turn her head away, and after one or two hits she would cuddle up next to me and just lay there... 

I've seen the same kind of behavior in numerous dogs over the years. Mutts, Jack Russel Terriers and Dalmatians among them. I had never seen a relaxed Jack Russel until that point. LOL We even created a "dog bong" that she could put her snout in so we could shotgun her hits.

VonLud    858
3 hours ago, Walk Softly said:

My homie's Min Pin ate a whole quarter, bag and all. Don't let a stoner babysit your dog?

Then he dragged his back legs behind him for half an hour. It was super funny but we were all freaked out.

Then he ate his food and went to sleep and was ok after that.

radio doc    373

when we blaze up at my friends house, their labrador jumps in line for his shotgun hit automatically! he sticks his nose right in our faces when we exhale! and then rolls around like a clown for a min, then snorts, farts and falls asleep.

but he aint that sleepy, cause when a second one is lit, he springs right back up for more!

this lab has it all figured out!

they take their dog to a vet for regular checkups frequently, what does the vet think about his bloodwork? 

i wonder what happened to the deer that stole my bag when i got 50ft away from my camp? he probably went down the trail and traded it for crack with a weasel! lol