Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Talon

Five Creepy Things Your ISP Could Do if Congress Repeals the FCC’s Privacy Protections

Talon    716

Why are we so worried about Congress repealing the FCC’s privacy rules for ISPs? Because we’ve seen ISPs do some disturbing things in the past to invade their users’ privacy. Here are five examples of creepy practices that could make a resurgence if we don’t stop Congress now.

5. Selling your data to marketers

Which ISPs did it before? We don’t know—but they’re doing it as you read this!

4. Hijacking your searches

Which ISPs did it before? Charter, Cogent, DirecPC, Frontier, Wide Open West (to name a few)

3. Snooping through your traffic and inserting ads

Which ISPs did it before? AT&T, Charter, CMA

2. Pre-installing software on your phone and recording every URL you visit

Which ISPs did it before? AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile

1. Injecting undetectable, undeletable tracking cookies in all of your HTTP traffic

Which ISPs did it before? AT&T, Verizon

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2017/03/five-creepy-things-your-isp-could-do-if-congress-repeals-fccs-privacy-protections

five    361
22 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

I figured they were already doing all of that. 

What really bothers me is that people are continuing to use this tech even after finding out how invasive it really is. They b*tch about fb collecting personal data then get right back on fb and post personal data. IDK anymore. 

Cinnamon    22,994
2 hours ago, five said:

What really bothers me is that people are continuing to use this tech even after finding out how invasive it really is. They b*tch about fb collecting personal data then get right back on fb and post personal data. IDK anymore. 

Yep, but the isp is not something avoidable, if you want to be online at all, if I didn't work online, I'd just disconnect altogether, it's getting that bad as far as I'm concerned.