Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Fourth echelon

Researchers say seaweed tastes like bacon

Rate this topic

CORVALLIS, Ore., July 15 (UPI) -- Having trouble getting your kids to eat vegetables? A new strain of designer seaweed might be just what you're looking for.

Scientists at Oregon State University (OSU) have been successfully growing a patented strain of bright red algae that they say, when cooked, tastes like bacon. It's a superfood for people who don't eat superfoods.

Dulse (Palmaria palmata) is a red alga that grows wild off the northern coasts of the Atlantic and Pacific. Harvested and dried, the seaweed fetches a hefty price as snack food and cooking ingredient -- used commonly along the coasts of Ireland as a flavor enhancer for soups and stews.

While the new strain of dulse boasts vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and healthy concentration of protein, it wasn't originally designed with humans in mind.

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2015/07/15/Researchers-say-seaweed-tastes-like-bacon/6671436959979/?spt=sec&or=sn

CORVALLIS, Ore., July 15 (UPI) -- Having trouble getting your kids to eat vegetables? A new strain of designer seaweed might be just what you're looking for.

Scientists at Oregon State University (OSU) have been successfully growing a patented strain of bright red algae that they say, when cooked, tastes like bacon. It's a superfood for people who don't eat superfoods.

Dulse (Palmaria palmata) is a red alga that grows wild off the northern coasts of the Atlantic and Pacific. Harvested and dried, the seaweed fetches a hefty price as snack food and cooking ingredient -- used commonly along the coasts of Ireland as a flavor enhancer for soups and stews.

While the new strain of dulse boasts vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and healthy concentration of protein, it wasn't originally designed with humans in mind.

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2015/07/15/Researchers-say-seaweed-tastes-like-bacon/6671436959979/?spt=sec&or=sn

I'd try it. But I really love bacon, so they better their A game.

YourMom2    1,250

Once cooked it's no longer going to be a superfood, it'll be dead food with little to no nutrients.

Good point! I eat mostly raw fruit and veggies but I do have a weakness for bacon.