Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

NowServingNumber52

After 10-year effort, Army selects new pistol maker

----------Senator: Best use of M9 is throwing it --------- LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(CNN)After a long and much-criticized search, the US Army has chosen Sig Sauer to produce its next generation of handgun, eventually replacing the current standard issue sidearm, the Beretta M9 pistol.

"Following a thorough operational test, fielding of the modular handgun is expected to begin in 2017," the Army said in a statement announcing the decision Thursday.

The M9's three decades of service since 1985 has occasionally made it the subject of derision among members of the armed forces.

"The joke that we had in the military was that sometimes the most effective use of an M9 is to simply throw it at your adversary," Sen. Joni Ernst, a former officer in the Iowa Army National Guard, said last week during the confirmation hearings for Ret. Marine Gen. James Mattis to be secretary of defense.

The multi-year effort to replace the Beretta has been slammed by members of Congress.

"The Army's effort to buy a new handgun has already taken 10 years and produced nothing but a more than 350-page requirements document micromanaging extremely small unimportant details," Senate Armed Services committee chairman John McCain wrote in a 2015 report on the program's problems.

"A decade for a pistol?" Sen. Thom Tillis of North Carolina asked at the same Mattis confirmation hearing. "They're relatively simple devices ... This is a great testament to what's wrong with defense acquisition."

But Army Acquisition Executive Steffanie Easter promised that as the program moved "forward into operational testing, the due diligence taken by all of the stakeholders will ensure a program that remains on-budget and on-schedule."

Sig Sauer's P320 pistol is believed to be the model on which the new handgun will be based. The Army is seeking certain modifications that are not being made public.

Sig Sauer was founded in Germany but has a subsidiary located in Exeter, New Hampshire.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/19/politics/army-new-pistol-sig-sauer/index.html

A similar story just broke in Canada the difference is they are trying to replace the WWII issue Browning 9mm. Lighter and easily thrown at the enemy but are falling apart due to a lack of available parts. Compromise:  use cherry grenades, you can carry the same quantity as the clip in either handgun and the bonus is you will not need to aim.     lol

7 minutes ago, C.O.W. said:

A similar story just broke in Canada the difference is they are trying to replace the WWII issue Browning 9mm. Lighter and easily thrown at the enemy but are falling apart due to a lack of available parts. Compromise:  use cherry grenades, you can carry the same quantity as the clip in either handgun and the bonus is you will not need to aim.     lol

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.sherv.net/laughing-emoticon-152.html

Crying with laughter Emoticon

13 minutes ago, C.O.W. said:

Lack of parts??? Someone better inform the good folks at Nighthawk. They just introduced a High Power that faithfully follows the original design of that masterpiece. 

Gotta agree with the. The M9 is a pile of crap. I'm glad they went with sig and my buddy Max Michel (uspsa world champ sponsored by sig) I know he's happy. When he was on the U.S. Army shooting team he tried to get them to change to the sig platform to no avail. 

Just now, COBO Member said:

Lack of parts??? Someone better inform the good folks at Nighthawk. They just introduced a High Power that faithfully follows the original design of that masterpiece.

Not going to happen, shame.  Liberal Gov has decided to take the decade to discuss the need for handguns in our military. Some snowflake politicians don't see why any personal would need a handgun. WTF are snowflakes doing making military policy when they have no idea of what they are up against in the real world?  This is a military decision, not a civilian one. When have so many flakes taken it upon themselves to f**k over the world like they did over the past thirty years?  
Who are the real enemies of the freedom and common sense?  

Future news headline:   Military pilot gets shot by child wielding a handgun as he tries to get his rifle out of its holster Liberals blame child with illegal handgun!!

29 minutes ago, C.O.W. said:

Not going to happen, shame.  Liberal Gov has decided to take the decade to discuss the need for handguns in our military. Some snowflake politicians don't see why any personal would need a handgun. WTF are snowflakes doing making military policy when they have no idea of what they are up against in the real world?  This is a military decision, not a civilian one. When have so many flakes taken it upon themselves to f**k over the world like they did over the past thirty years?  
Who are the real enemies of the freedom and common sense?  

Future news headline:   Military pilot gets shot by child wielding a handgun as he tries to get his rifle out of its holster Liberals blame child with illegal handgun!!

Heh heh...when my crew flew off anywhere, I always had a 2nd toolbox that to this day has, "IFT SPECIAL TOOLS" stenciled on it. Let's just say I contributed to a squadron picnic with 100# of BBQ'd caribou that fell to a Desert Eagle. The rest was contributed to the residents of Adak.

Never was a fan of the Beretta. After owning a 1911, that fat grip felt like I was holding a 2x4. But the Browning's grip fits my hand, your hand, anyone's hand (except a small child). And how a pistol fits in your hand goes miles as to how it performs.

The one full-size Sig 320 I've played with was impressive. Polymer frames can be a boon but I don't think I'll ever be a fan of striker-fired pistols. Heh heh...unless they can match the trigger of a 1911 or Browning Hi Power (with that damnable magazine disconnect removed!).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.