Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Cinnamon

Report: Trump Plans to Eliminate National Endowment for the Arts

The Hill reports that the plans to slash the arts endowments are part of a 10-year plan that would see government spending reduced by $10.5 trillion.

Other federal agencies that would see substantial reductions in spending include the Departments of Commerce, Energy, Transportation, State and Justice. According to the Hill, the plan includes privatizing the Corporation of Public Broadcasting.

The spending cuts are reportedly being discussed at the White House by two Trump transition team members, Russ Vought and John Gray.

The National Endowment for the Arts provides federal grants to artists and establishments like museums and theaters. The 14-member agency is currently headed by artist Jane Chu, and as of 2015 had an annual budget of $150 million.

<snip>

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2017/01/19/report-trump-plans-eliminate-national-endowment-arts/

There goes a bunch of #pizzagate creeps money! 

That's a wonderful place to begin.  If art is worthy of the name it should find enough supporters who enjoy it to fund it.  The government has no business in that  business at all...period.

Now  if he'll just end the Fed and castrate the Agriculture department.  And the Education dept, the IRS....

8 hours ago, Jostler said:

That's a wonderful place to begin.  If art is worthy of the name it should find enough supporters who enjoy it to fund it.  The government has no business in that  business at all...period.

Now  if he'll just end the Fed and castrate the Agriculture department.  And the Education dept, the IRS....

Agriculture dept needs to be trimmed not cut, it is still key to a lot of important things.  It needs intelligent cuts.

The rest, yep. State Dept of Education are key.  

31 minutes ago, thedudeabides said:

Agriculture dept needs to be trimmed not cut, it is still key to a lot of important things.  It needs intelligent cuts.

The rest, yep. State Dept of Education are key.  

I'm not sold on the idea that government needs to be involved in agriculture at all (though I'd consider arguments to the contrary), but if it does have a legitimate role, I'd argue that role belongs to the states.  I don't see a need for it at the national level.

1 minute ago, Jostler said:

I'm not sold on the idea that government needs to be involved in agriculture at all (though I'd consider arguments to the contrary), but if it does have a legitimate role, I'd argue that role belongs to the states.  I don't see a need for it at the national level.

Well The issue is the size of our Agriculture industry. It is purposefully held back. We could essentially feed the world if we wanted to at low cost. 

The reason federal oversight is needed is because of our massive amounts of export/import on food goods. 

3 minutes ago, thedudeabides said:

Well The issue is the size of our Agriculture industry. It is purposefully held back. We could essentially feed the world if we wanted to at low cost. 

The reason federal oversight is needed is because of our massive amounts of export/import on food goods. 

How would federal oversight be better than farmers pursuing their own interests without  federal fetters?  What would government do better than the farmers themselves would do?

21 minutes ago, Jostler said:

How would federal oversight be better than farmers pursuing their own interests without  federal fetters?  What would government do better than the farmers themselves would do?

That would be foolish and we would have another Dust Bowl. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.