Jump to content
Sign Up To Remove Ads! Or to Access Our Chatroom!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Ukshep

Migrants race to reach US before Trump takes over

Recommended Posts

 Ukshep    23,180

Sasabe (Mexico) (AFP) - Migrants trying to sneak into the United States from the parched Mexican desert have to contend with border guards' drones overhead, poisonous snakes underfoot and human trafficking gangs at their backs.

But these challenges are nothing compared to their bigger fear: that someday soon, US President-elect Donald Trump will build a wall to keep them out altogether.

So before Trump takes office on Friday, they are racing against time, riding a freight train up to the border to look for a way across.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/migrants-race-reach-us-trump-takes-over-023906910.html

Last Chance Saloon! Good luck boys you are going to need it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sulie   
Sulie

I went on a mission via church earlier this year. An exchange program with church where I lived with a family in a part of Cali that is host to migrant workers, some illegal, in the farm belt. One of the family being married to an illegal, and they have kids together. Once the announcement was made for Trump to run, all the sudden the decision was made for the Dad to seek legal status. We are talking a couple of decades. The fear is in these people now, to do the right thing. Lots of expense and court costs. Just jumping the border won't get them the golden ring. They all know they need to be legal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Quick1966    1,230
1 hour ago, Sulie said:

I went on a mission via church earlier this year. An exchange program with church where I lived with a family in a part of Cali that is host to migrant workers, some illegal, in the farm belt. One of the family being married to an illegal, and they have kids together. Once the announcement was made for Trump to run, all the sudden the decision was made for the Dad to seek legal status. We are talking a couple of decades. The fear is in these people now, to do the right thing. Lots of expense and court costs. Just jumping the border won't get them the golden ring. They all know they need to be legal.

My question is why wait? I mean obviously they didn't leave because the US is just a little better. Why leave to chance that you could be deported  with a change in administration?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sulie   
Sulie
1 hour ago, Quick1966 said:

My question is why wait? I mean obviously they didn't leave because the US is just a little better. Why leave to chance that you could be deported  with a change in administration?

It doesn't make sense to me either, that some of them wait. One in particular wants to go back to Mexico with his family to visit his ailing father. He won't be able to pass the border back and forth with his legal family, having been here illegally for so long. This guy never has a hard time finding a job, btw. He does everything from farming, to auto repair. The family is not poor, by any means.  They don't know how long they will be in Mexico, and I guess getting him legal is easier than having him cross back and forth illegally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Quick1966    1,230
3 minutes ago, Sulie said:

It doesn't make sense to me either, that some of them wait. One in particular wants to go back to Mexico with his family to visit his ailing father. He won't be able to pass the border back and forth with his legal family, having been here illegally for so long. This guy never has a hard time finding a job, btw. He does everything from farming, to auto repair. The family is not poor, by any means.  They don't know how long they will be in Mexico, and I guess getting him legal is easier than having him cross back and forth illegally. 

Yeah best to be legal and not worry about being deported and leave your family behind. The only reason I ask is my family escaped Cuba in the 60s (both sides) with nothing but the clothes on their backs and the first opportunity they could they became US citizens just so nothing was left to chance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sulie   
Sulie
7 minutes ago, Quick1966 said:

Yeah best to be legal and not worry about being deported and leave your family behind. The only reason I ask is my family escaped Cuba in the 60s (both sides) with nothing but the clothes on their backs and the first opportunity they could they became US citizens just so nothing was left to chance. 

Wow. That's admirable. Congrats to them. It's a little more difficult to come back, when you are deported and have to make an ocean journey, rather than by foot. Also though, when your family came here in the 60' s they could have been killed if they got deported back to Cuba. Very dangerous political climate for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 ILLUSION    50

My father was an illegal immigrant he and a few others walked for days in the desert his close friend died.I respect the amount of effort on his part to seek a better life he is a honorable man.He has been a legal citizen since 1982.He himself agrees that he shouldn't of came here illegally but he was so poor that was his only way to fulfill his dream and he took a risk.The illegals that work under the table and then still get help from the government and drive a nicer car than me his son pisses him off because he sees my struggle to survive.I just make enough money that I can't get help but I can barely make it. Not all illegal immigrants are bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Quick1966    1,230
1 hour ago, Sulie said:

Wow. That's admirable. Congrats to them. It's a little more difficult to come back, when you are deported and have to make an ocean journey, rather than by foot. Also though, when your family came here in the 60' s they could have been killed if they got deported back to Cuba. Very dangerous political climate for them.

What a lot of people don't realize is but even now if you get deported back to Cuba from anywhere it's the firing squad for you and your family with the only exception being young children because the state can brainwash them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sulie   
Sulie
1 minute ago, Quick1966 said:

What a lot of people don't realize is but even now if you get deported back to Cuba from anywhere it's the firing squad for you and your family with the only exception being young children because the state can brainwash them.

And there is a difference there. Your parents WERE political refugees, rather than just illegals, who for the most part, do come here to work under the table, and send money home.

About the same time your family made that trip, my parents were in the market for a home that had a bomb shelter attatched to it. Being dragged along with them as a young kid, let me tell you, people would be amazed how many houses in the Chicago suburbs have them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Quick1966    1,230
8 minutes ago, Sulie said:

And there is a difference there. Your parents WERE political refugees, rather than just illegals, who for the most part, do come here to work under the table, and send money home.

About the same time your family made that trip, my parents were in the market for a home that had a bomb shelter attatched to it. Being dragged along with them as a young kid, let me tell you, people would be amazed how many houses in the Chicago suburbs have them.

No argument there. I guess I have a hard time trying to figure out why the new generation of immigrants refuse to integrate. It's one thing to be proud of your heritage. But just like in Cali schools the Mexican kids walk around flaunting the Mexican flag but beat up a kid who's wearing a US flag t shirt? Or the school suspending said US flag shirt kid? That's just wrong. If you feel your country is sooo much better than here than get you the f**k out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×