Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Ukshep

NASA Releases Video of Titan Moon Landing

Ukshep    23,122

New footage released by Nasa shows exactly what it looks like to land on an alien world.

It may seem like stuff of science fiction, but the scenes in the new video happened in real life, 12 years ago.

On Jan. 14, 2005, ESA's Huygens probe made its descent to the surface of Saturn's hazy moon, Titan. Carried to Saturn by NASA's Cassini spacecraft, Huygens made the most distant landing ever on another world, and the only landing on a body in the outer solar system. This video uses actual images taken by the probe during its two-and-a-half hour fall under its parachutes.

http://www.space.com/35292-huygens-probe-s-titan-landing-revisited-by-nasa-video.html

Why do i feel dumber for watching?? do you believe this?

LuckyBolt    1,713

"Rivers of methane..." huh?  They can calculate and determine the exact chemical(s) on a planet or moon, but they use the sh*ttiest cameras to capture all of these missions when they have the most high powered telescopes in the world that can see a million or more light years away.  

I really wish they would just go away.

Thanks for the velcro and freeze dried ice cream you lying, worthless f*cks.

Zimix99    1,034

Is that supposed to be real footage from it's actual camera? I can make a better scene in Unity. Why such a shit camera? /tinfoil

Ukshep    23,122
1 minute ago, Zimix99 said:

Is that supposed to be real footage from it's actual camera? I can make a better scene in Unity. Why such a shit camera? /tinfoil

yeh its supposedly real footage used...

Jostler    2,216
Just now, Zimix99 said:

it's not video and they don't claim it is.  it's 2.5 hrs of still shots stitched together.  From 12 years ago.

Zimix99    1,034
1 minute ago, Jostler said:

it's not video and they don't claim it is.  it's 2.5 hrs of still shots stitched together.  From 12 years ago.

12 year old technology coupled with extremely thick gassy atmosphere.. I suppose.. :therapy:

Jostler    2,216
Just now, Zimix99 said:

12 year old technology coupled with extremely thick gassy atmosphere.. I suppose.. :therapy:

considering the probe was launched in 1997 the tech is considerably older than 12 years

Ukshep    23,122
2 minutes ago, Zimix99 said:

Sounds like surveillance footage at my local indian if you ask me.

Zimix99    1,034
6 minutes ago, Jostler said:

considering the probe was launched in 1997 the tech is considerably older than 12 years

Camera tech wasn't that bad in 1997, especially if you had the money. Even consumer cameras were starting to get pretty amazing back then. I'm just naturally skeptical, especially about Nasa.

Malevolent    3,142

For me, whether they went there or not is not really the issue.  I simply cannot fathom why it is necessary to spend billions of dollars to go to a place you cannot use effectively to feed an ever increasing world population.  There are Vets and other people starving because "there is no budget" they say.  For me the priorities of governments are all fvcked-up and much money is wasted on egotistical "trips" and obfuscation to hide God knows what from humanity.

I think these guys are way ahead of America in any event!

Jostler    2,216
Just now, Zimix99 said:

Camera tech wasn't that bad in 1997, especially if you had the money. Even consumer cameras were starting to get pretty amazing back then. I'm just naturally skeptical, especially about Nasa.

skepticism about NASA is warranted.  they do lie, but I don't find it hard to believe there's haze on Titan :)