Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Ukshep

Guest posting is Closed! If you want in make an account!

So glad I found this website before these wild times. I wasn't sure if I should trust Reddit. But now I understand why it is becoming controlled. To help us. 

<3

29 minutes ago, Zimix99 said:

Thank god. 

Maybe I've missed something, but i've not seen any guest troublemakers, besides a few shilling posts.

Anyway, i didn't mind registering, but I'm not sure the lack of guest posting won't have a negative impact. Hope not. :smile:

44 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

... Call it quality control.

:clap2:  Long overdue

9 minutes ago, Martin said:

Maybe I've missed something, but i've not seen any guest troublemakers, besides a few shilling posts.

Anyway, i didn't mind registering, but I'm not sure the lack of guest posting won't have a negative impact. Hope not. :smile:

While it has its positives there is much work done behind the scenes in weeding out the nonsense before it becomes "public knowledge".  If you want to really have guest-posting you will need a score of mods to control that, but then you'd need a whole bunch of admins to control the mods who control the guests who try to disrupt and discredit the site ... a viscous circle if ever there was one.

In the end it is better to weigh the options and do what is best for the brand - COP needs to protect its brand image! 

1 hour ago, Martin said:

Still enough shit posters and shills to be annoying. I haven't been on the forum very long though. I look at it like this though, If you have something of quality to say, or add to a discussion, Than signing up shouldn't be too much of an inconvenience, but still enough so to stop lazy none-quality stuff. 

1 hour ago, Martin said:

There are always tradeoffs.  We have a couple of posters who consistently post interesting, relevant stuff that until now chose not to register.  I hope they will go ahead and register now.  They will be missed if they don't, but it's an individual choice, as always. 

When the board begins to get flooded with obvious disruptors, who post one or two emotionally laden, incendiary lines with no attribution, no links, no context...you can only conclude they're trying to drive an emotional wedge between the rest of us who might take one side or the other of some emotionally charged topic.

If someone is registered, they can be held accountable over time.  Mods can discern if it's an otherwise well meaning, valuable contributor who's had one too many or is just having a bad day and exercise a bit of leniency, with confidence they'll go back to their more normal and respectful mode of interaction tomorrow.  And it allows mods to identify those who consistently refuse to engage polite society and deal with them more permanently.

IMO the mods here have exhibited admirable levels of restraint very consistently, and a lot of wisdom in when and how to use their power to maintain decency and order.

.IMO if you want to be a part of a community, it's not too much to ask that  people become identifiable by the community and known by the reputation they make.

@Malevolent is correct when he says there is much that goes on here that is not seen in the public eye.  Moderation is done quickly enough that most will not see it and it's done as quietly as possible.  However, there are always those who want to make a spectacle and argue with mods and admins, this is done to make the mods/admins look bad in front of everyone.

What's been happening here is that there have been a few members who wanted to take advantage of guest posting and use it to insult users and the forum by hiding behind the anon moniker.  That, to me, is the epitome of an anonymous coward.  They didn't want to be held accountable under their member names.  And there is not much that disgusts me more than to watch someone playing with the other user's heads by talking to them or insulting them, when the users they are talking to don't know who they are. It's really taking advantage in a totally psycho kind of way.  Maybe I take this too seriously for my own good, but it is wrong on so many levels in my view. 

@Jostler is also correct when he says we have some good anons here.  They are consistent with their anon names and their post content is awesome. I hope we don't lose them in the process because it's always the few that mess things up for the rest. 

9 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

What's been happening here is that there have been a few members who wanted to take advantage of guest posting and use it to insult users and the forum by hiding behind the anon moniker.  That, to me, is the epitome of an anonymous coward.  They didn't want to be held accountable under their member names.  And there is not much that disgusts me more than to watch someone playing with the other user's heads by talking to them or insulting them, when the users they are talking to don't know who they are. It's really taking advantage in a totally psycho kind of way.  Maybe I take this too seriously for my own good, but it is wrong on so many levels in my view. 

I'm glad I don't know who they are :/  That is the very definition of cowardice.   But, a good example of what you can see that is impossible for us to know about.  I'm glad you're the mod and not me 'cuz someone who did that would be toast if it were my call :)

2 minutes ago, Jostler said:

I'm glad I don't know who they are :/  That is the very definition of cowardice.   But, a good example of what you can see that is impossible for us to know about.  I'm glad you're the mod and not me 'cuz someone who did that would be toast if it were my call :)

They are toast. :) Until they register with another account and try it again. It will be dealt with then, too. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.