Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Cinnamon

Deadly ice storm creates treacherous conditions for Midwest

Cinnamon    26,090

At least three deaths have been blamed on a crippling ice storm that has been plaguing the Midwest over the weekend and it threatened to stay near or below freezing through Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

State Highway Patrol in Missouri said that two people were killed in separate accidents, while authorities in Oklahoma said another person was killed in a semi-truck accident.

Ice buildups of one-quarter to slightly less than a half inch were expected to continue into Sunday morning from southeastern Kansas to central Missouri.

Becky Allmeroth, a state maintenance engineer for the Missouri Department of Transportation, said ice is "the most difficult storm to fight."

"We are keeping up with the changing conditions, but it is a continual battle," she said of the department's around-the-clock scrambling to treat the glazed roads. "The precipitation is coming in waves, and we have to apply more salt."

<snip>

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/01/15/deadly-ice-storm-creates-treacherous-conditions-for-midwest.html

Ukshep    23,084
36 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

At least three deaths have been blamed on a crippling ice storm that has been plaguing the Midwest over the weekend and it threatened to stay near or below freezing through Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

State Highway Patrol in Missouri said that two people were killed in separate accidents, while authorities in Oklahoma said another person was killed in a semi-truck accident.

Ice buildups of one-quarter to slightly less than a half inch were expected to continue into Sunday morning from southeastern Kansas to central Missouri.

Becky Allmeroth, a state maintenance engineer for the Missouri Department of Transportation, said ice is "the most difficult storm to fight."

"We are keeping up with the changing conditions, but it is a continual battle," she said of the department's around-the-clock scrambling to treat the glazed roads. "The precipitation is coming in waves, and we have to apply more salt."

<snip>

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/01/15/deadly-ice-storm-creates-treacherous-conditions-for-midwest.html

Weather seems to have taken a turn for the worst all over right now! brrrr!

COBO Member    3,824

While I'm sorry for the death and devastation, I'm hoping it (along with home field advantage) will cause Pittsburgh to slip up.

Tarmalen    1,320

Well...since the election there is plenty of salt going around so there should be no shortage.

Everyone needs to respect MN or she will crush you without a second thought or an ounce of care.

COBO Member    3,824
4 minutes ago, Tarmalen said:

Well...since the election there is plenty of salt going around so there should be no shortage.

Everyone needs to respect MN or she will crush you without a second thought or an ounce of care.

Heh heh...Took me a moment to figure out you meant Mother Nature. Before that, I was like, The MN Vikings??"

JustATrucker    630

Hell, they said Ok would get hit hard.. Of Friday morning, before I left the house for work, the Weather Channel, said Ok city was very icy... I had a argument with my manager about going out in it.. I went out anyway, and to my surprise the roads were pretty dry.. Same thing for Saturday, pretty dry, not a disaster like the reported in the (fake) news. Last Friday was worse.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vtkg9xqe3438i1a/15825862_1579691532046591_3626785285913992239_n.jpg?dl=0