Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

DarkKnightNomeD

‘We are go’: Moon mining firm raises enough money for maiden flight

Hell yeah  FLY ME TO THE MOON!

Read the rest of the article on the link provided.

https://www.rt.com/viral/373649-moon-express-mining-mission-funded/

-

A Silicon Valley-based company hoping to one day extract the Moon’s natural resources has raised enough money to fund its mission to the space rock.

Moon Express has reportedly brought its total funding to $45 million and could soon prepare a launch of its MX-1E lunar lander. 

Moon Express CEO Bob Richards made the announcement over Twitter. 

“Our goal is to expand Earth’s social and economic sphere to the Moon, our largely unexplored eighth continent, and enable a new era of low cost lunar exploration and development for students, scientists, space agencies and commercial interests,” he said in a statement, Florida Today reported. 

An online statement for the company reveals how its owners see the Moon’s water as “the oil of the solar system” and hope its resources can be “unlocked and used to benefit Earth.”

According to Space News, Moon Express succeeded in raising $20 million in its latest round of funding

-

HAHHAHA

King Putt signed an asteroid mining bill. Why not the moon too?

November 25, 2015

President Obama Signs Bill Recognizing Asteroid Resource Property Rights into Law

Planetary Resources, the asteroid mining company, applauds President Obama who signed the U.S. Commercial Space Launch Competitiveness Act (H.R. 2262) into law. This law recognizes the right of U.S. citizens to own asteroid resources they obtain and encourages the commercial exploration and utilization of resources from asteroids.

“This is the single greatest recognition of property rights in history,” said Eric Anderson, Co-Founder and Co-Chairman, Planetary Resources, Inc. “This legislation establishes the same supportive framework that created the great economies of history, and will encourage the sustained development of space.”

More:

http://www.planetaryresources.com/2015/11/president-obama-signs-bill-recognizing-asteroid-resource-property-rights-into-law/

http://www.planetaryresources.com/company/

3 hours ago, COBO Member said:

Ok...maybe a silly question. What is there on the moon worth mining?

If the moon was formed as a result of something colliding with Earth(the current Earth origin hypothesis), then the moon is basically Earth's old crust. Everything in our crust that we mine today could be there in far more abundance than we find here on Earth.

lol If it is a satellite created by aliens, then what they "mine" could be of far greater interest than gold, uranium, or other useful elements.

lmao If it is just a projection of light, as some seem to think, then it is going to be a very short mission! 

15 minutes ago, RabidWolf said:

If the moon was formed as a result of something colliding with Earth(the current Earth origin hypothesis), then the moon is basically Earth's old crust. Everything in our crust that we mine today could be there in far more abundance than we find here on Earth.

lol If it is a satellite created by aliens, then what they "mine" could be of far greater interest than gold, uranium, or other useful elements.

lmao If it is just a projection of light, as some seem to think, then it is going to be a very short mission! 

I studied up on this after I posted above. Looks like the main thing they're looking for is Helium-3. Heh heh, science isn't sure yet but they're hoping it's an energy source for the future.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Nobby said:

cheese, all kinds

:chuckle: Last time I ran across any green cheese it was a science experiment in the 'fridge

Sulie
16 hours ago, DarkKnightNomeD said:

Hell yeah  FLY ME TO THE MOON!

Read the rest of the article on the link provided.

https://www.rt.com/viral/373649-moon-express-mining-mission-funded/

-

A Silicon Valley-based company hoping to one day extract the Moon’s natural resources has raised enough money to fund its mission to the space rock.

Moon Express has reportedly brought its total funding to $45 million and could soon prepare a launch of its MX-1E lunar lander. 

Moon Express CEO Bob Richards made the announcement over Twitter. 

“Our goal is to expand Earth’s social and economic sphere to the Moon, our largely unexplored eighth continent, and enable a new era of low cost lunar exploration and development for students, scientists, space agencies and commercial interests,” he said in a statement, Florida Today reported. 

An online statement for the company reveals how its owners see the Moon’s water as “the oil of the solar system” and hope its resources can be “unlocked and used to benefit Earth.”

According to Space News, Moon Express succeeded in raising $20 million in its latest round of funding

-

HAHHAHA

Have you ever seen this movie?

It's about mining on the moon, and has an amazing twist. Also made me fall head over heels with Sam Rockwell. I can watch this one over and over....MOON. Be careful what yiu eish for....