Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Cinnamon

Chaffetz Wants To Relocate Federal Agencies Away From Washington, D.C.

Cinnamon    26,285

<snip>

One solution to the federal government being too expensive and out-of-touch is moving parts of it away from Washington, D.C., according to House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform Chairman Jason Chaffetz.

The Utah Republican explained that computers and other technologies mean there’s no reason that a federal agency headquarters must be physically located in D.C., instead of areas with much lower living costs.

Housing prices in D.C. are among the highest in the country thanks in great part to the large number of high-paying government jobs putting upward pressure on real estate supply and demand.

<snip>

http://dailycaller.com/2017/01/12/chaffetz-wants-to-relocate-federal-agencies-away-from-washington-d-c/#ixzz4Vftb0JUM

Drain the swamp, baby! This sounds like an excellent idea to me. D.C. is too far for most people to travel and they sit up there in their ivory towers lording over the rest of us. Time to bring them down to earth with the rest of us. 

majoga    429
3 hours ago, Cinnamon said:

Drain the swamp, baby! This sounds like an excellent idea to me. D.C. is too far for most people to travel and they sit up there in their ivory towers lording over the rest of us. Time to bring them down to earth with the rest of us. 

Sounds good, but I'm not sure this will accomplish what you desire. Per the article, affording them the ability for a 5k sq ft home with a pool as opposed to a studio apartment seems more like a reward to me. I think most of us don't live like this, so not sure how it equalizes things in that respect. Also, if they were to move and be rewarded so handsomely, it wouldn't seem to make it any more likely that they would direct funding back to that area. Could have the opposite effect if they believe that most of us live like that.

Another idea this article is talking about is the modern ability to be mobile. Seems to be pushing that transient aspect of Agenda 2030. Might be more prudent to make government (our) employees live in those dorms while in service so that they don't take a notion to support such agendas while there on our dime.

Cinnamon    26,285
3 minutes ago, majoga said:

Sounds good, but I'm not sure this will accomplish what you desire. Per the article, affording them the ability for a 5k sq ft home with a pool as opposed to a studio apartment seems more like a reward to me. I think most of us don't live like this, so not sure how it equalizes things in that respect. Also, if they were to move and be rewarded so handsomely, it wouldn't seem to make it any more likely that they would direct funding back to that area. Could have the opposite effect if they believe that most of us live like that.

Another idea this article is talking about is the modern ability to be mobile. Seems to be pushing that transient aspect of Agenda 2030. Might be more prudent to make government (our) employees live in those dorms while in service so that they don't take a notion to support such agendas while there on our dime.

Personally I'd like to cut their salary down to a dollar a year. That would separate the wheat from the chaff as far as being a "public servant". And yes, dorm life is something else along with a cafeteria to eat instead of credit cards. Get there in time or miss your meal. Otherwise, pay for it yourself. They spend way too much time making laws that we don't need and need to go home and work a real job in between sessions. We were never supposed to have this much paper in our lives or fulltimers like we have now. I'm sick of all of this bs. 

majoga    429
5 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

Personally I'd like to cut their salary down to a dollar a year. That would separate the wheat from the chaff as far as being a "public servant". And yes, dorm life is something else along with a cafeteria to eat instead of credit cards. Get there in time or miss your meal. Otherwise, pay for it yourself. They spend way too much time making laws that we don't need and need to go home and work a real job in between sessions. We were never supposed to have this much paper in our lives or fulltimers like we have now. I'm sick of all of this bs. 

I hear ya. But I think they should be paid fairly for doing a satisfactory job. To clarify a bit, I am talking about the agencies as per the article. They are the true public servants. Yes, some are screwheads, but not all.

I think Chaffetz has it backwards. IMO, it is the legislature (senators and representatives) that should be closer to the people and perhaps be subjected to the dorm life, nationwide median pay, and no lifetime parachutes of any form. Seems to me that if the legislature had to live out in the land under the boot of the agencies like the rest of us, they might just reel in some of that power they have ceded to them.

Cinnamon    26,285
10 minutes ago, majoga said:

I hear ya. But I think they should be paid fairly for doing a satisfactory job. To clarify a bit, I am talking about the agencies as per the article. They are the true public servants. Yes, some are screwheads, but not all.

I think Chaffetz has it backwards. IMO, it is the legislature (senators and representatives) that should be closer to the people and perhaps be subjected to the dorm life, nationwide median pay, and no lifetime parachutes of any form. Seems to me that if the legislature had to live out in the land under the boot of the agencies like the rest of us, they might just reel in some of that power they have ceded to them.

Most of the "laws" that are made are via rules and regulations by these agencies. Congress claims the can't micromanage them, that's why they go through The Federal Register to do most of what they do. The paper they manufacture dwarfs what Congress makes and Congress makes way too much, too.  I hate them all. LOL

nemo    154

Or we could fall back on that amazing blueprint the Founding Fathers laid out in that most eloquent document, our Constitution.  A central government of limited power and scope with the states and people retaining the lions share of power (rights).  We, the people, are supposed to be at the top of the power food pyramid.  I dunno, made sense at the time I guess. 

Cinnamon    26,285
2 hours ago, nemo said:

Or we could fall back on that amazing blueprint the Founding Fathers laid out in that most eloquent document, our Constitution.  A central government of limited power and scope with the states and people retaining the lions share of power (rights).  We, the people, are supposed to be at the top of the power food pyramid.  I dunno, made sense at the time I guess. 

Government thinks they are job creators. In reality, they're vampires that suck the life from everyone who does a real job for a living. There comes a time when they're no longer sustainable with their high salaries, perks and retirement benefits. Same thing on state level, even county and city levels. Jobs are used as leverage, bribery and are a huge part of cronyism.  

The only time the Marxists like the Constitution is when it can be used to get what they want. Otherwise, they pick and choose what they like about it. Since they've been in charge for the past 8 years, they've done a good job of twisting it into a pretzel. 

Almostnuts   
Almostnuts

I hope he is referring to FEMA camps.  A good place for them.

Almostnuts    113

No, we need to keep them confined within the beltway.  No use in letting them scatter out making them hard to round up if need be.  Block the roads, airports, and dock areas and they will be where they can be found.  Cutting their pay, benefits, and perks are long past due.  We aren't getting the best and brightest for office holders and that's obvious as hell. No sense in paying high salaries for non performance and making a mess and seemingly endless vacations.