Advertise With Us!
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Cinnamon

'The Day After Tomorrow' Climate change could cause ocean currents to COLLAPSE plunging the Northern hemisphere into an ICE AGE

Rate this topic

Cinnamon    16,147

Say whaa? I was waiting to be bbq'd all this time and now I'm told I need to dress warmer? Make up yer minds!  

In the 2004 film, 'The Day After Tomorrow', ocean currents around the world stop as a result of global warming, leading to a catastrophic storm which wipes out major cities around the world.

And experts believe that the terrifying plot could soon become a reality.

A new study suggests that ocean circulation patterns could collapse in the near future, plunging the Northern hemisphere into an ice age.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4090226/The-Day-Tomorrow-reality-Ocean-currents-COLLAPSE-near-future-plunging-Northern-hemisphere-ice-age-warn-scientists.html#ixzz4UwKPXS6C

Sulie   
Sulie

Hmmmmm. I always wonder what makes these experts, experts.

Certainly this year has been an odd one for Phoenix. I don't remember a winter this wet.

We had over 20 days of temps 110 and over in July. If you want to roast, try here this July.

Iamawake    241
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

Say whaa? I was waiting to be bbq'd all this time and now I'm told I need to dress warmer? Make up yer minds!  

In the 2004 film, 'The Day After Tomorrow', ocean currents around the world stop as a result of global warming, leading to a catastrophic storm which wipes out major cities around the world.

And experts believe that the terrifying plot could soon become a reality.

A new study suggests that ocean circulation patterns could collapse in the near future, plunging the Northern hemisphere into an ice age.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4090226/The-Day-Tomorrow-reality-Ocean-currents-COLLAPSE-near-future-plunging-Northern-hemisphere-ice-age-warn-scientists.html#ixzz4UwKPXS6C

I have always wondered, how zombies would handle - 50 :chuckle:

But its a facking ice age here now..temps a constant -30 for weeks now...

:poorjohnny:

Edited by Iamawake

Quick1966    1,059
37 minutes ago, Iamawake said:

What!?! Geez man that's REAL cold! Lol! Yeah you can come down south if you wanna escape we just got one of those artic blasts. It was 75 today

• Like 2

Cinnamon    16,147
45 minutes ago, Iamawake said:

Plus 20 would feel balmy, right? 

Uncle Nobby    1,056

just more fear mongering from the daily snail.

Be afraid...................

OF EVERYTHING...................Whooooooooooooo hooooooooo:yah:

• Like 1

Iamawake    241
16 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

Plus 20 would feel balmy, right? 

+20 C would feel Tropical, Lol -42 C Wind chill at the moment.

• Like 1

Cinnamon    16,147
21 minutes ago, Uncle Nobby said:

They're entertainment! At least you know they are full of it, the others ones... they try hard to make you believe. :chuckle:

• Like 1

Iamawake    241
26 minutes ago, Uncle Nobby said:

Don't be afraid...Be Ready..

• Like 1

dazedb42    263

I really dislike this one, another eco doom story with no basis in reality. 

http://ocp.ldeo.columbia.edu/res/div/ocp/gs/

Climate mythology:
The Gulf Stream, European climate and Abrupt Change

Richard Seager

Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University

A few times a year the British media of all stripes goes into a tizzy of panic when one climate scientist or another states that there is a possibility that the North Atlantic ocean circulation, of which the Gulf Stream is a major part, will slow down in coming years or even stop. Whether the scientists statements are measured or inflammatory the media invariably warns that this will plunge Britain and Europe into a new ice age, pictures of the icy shores of Labrador are shown, created film of English Channel ferries making their way through sea ice are broadcast... And so the circus continues year after year. Here is one example.

The Gulf Stream-European climate myth

The panic is based on a long held belief of the British, other Europeans, Americans and, indeed, much of the world's population that the northward heat transport by the Gulf Stream is the reason why western Europe enjoys a mild climate, much milder than, say, that of eastern North America. This idea was actually originated by an American military man, Matthew Fontaine Maury, in the mid nineteenth century and has stuck since despite the absence of proof.

We now know this is a myth, the climatological equivalent of an urban legend. In a detailed study published in the Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society in 2002, we demonstrated the limited role that ocean heat transport plays in determining regional climates around the Atlantic Ocean.

Cryptic Mole    3,594

They are saying the mini ice age has already begun 2 years prior.

They are actually guaranteeing this is so.

dazedb42    263
9 minutes ago, Cryptid Mold said:

They are saying the mini ice age has already begun 2 years prior.

They are actually guaranteeing this is so.

We are moving away from the apogee (closest part of the orbit) of the Milankovitch cycle so we are heading in to the next big 100k iceage and have been for a while. The latest downturn in temperatures is due to solar activity being greatly diminished as compared to the last 20 or so years. As to how long it lasts is anyone's guess. The notch solar delay theory that is being developed says until about 2050.

The gulf stream however is caused by the seasonal change of the sun. That is, now the sun is over the southern hemisphere and in 6 months it will be over the northern hemisphere. The change in surface heating is what creates the gulf stream. It is therefore impossible to stop it unless we get rid of the tilt of the earth.

The other thing of interest is the Electric Universe theory which predicts as we move away from the Sun it will trigger earthquakes and volcanism which in turn will create more cooling ironically by heating the oceans to produce more evaporation and by ejecting detritus into the atmosphere.

There is some small consensus now that the moon drives the El Nino cycle. When the moon is at apogee (to Earth) it triggers under water volcanoes which create the ocean warming which effects the cycle.

It's going to get cold and CO2 has nothing to do with it.