Jump to content
Advertise With Us!
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Malevolent

The Millennial Question - Millennials in the workplace

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

 Malevolent    2,087

There are, on this site a few of us who are not millennials, we have been there, done that and have between us quite a few T-shirts.  For all of us over 50 this makes a lot of sense.  Just think about the last few days.  We had the Mall fights, we had this torturing by "kids" and most of the trouble makers who were "directed" by elders in the election were, yes, millennials!

There is a hell of a lot of sense in what Simon says!  (And then I remembered this - @Cryptid Mold will like..) Some time ago I needed a code-monkey and interviewed a host of kids who just graduated from various colleges etc.  Man O man, no wonder most of the software out there is rubbish!  Most failed miserably in the tests we asked them to do.  I have a standard question when it comes to extracting data, "When will you use a left....." (I'll leave the rest of the question, good developers will know.)

Listening to Simon I remember what I used to teach.  Among a lot of other things, there are simply 5 (OK 6 things) things that will assist you in "climbing the mountain".

Almost all successful people have these things in common.

1.] It starts with a dream!  You need a vision to formulate that mission.

2.] Then you need a plan / strategy!  With out a plan, a dream is but a dream and will amount to nothing - just pie in the sky.

 3.] You need knowledge of the direction / product!  If you do not have it then acquire that knowledge for without knowledge your strategy will already be flawed. If acquiring is not possible then employ / contract someone who is an expert on that specific field!

4.] Willing to work hard / smart! Nothing, but nothing happens by chance!  If you are not willing to put in the hard graft and long hours, go on the dole and save yourself all the effort!

5.] Never take no for an answer! In the quest to become successful (in any level) you will have to challenge the status quo.  You cannot simply pitch a plan or product to a client and then accept his first answer.  Many times that client is simply testing you to see if you are made of the right-stuff.

6.] Luck!  Yes, we all need a bit of luck, but believe me you do make your own luck. There is a famous golfer who always quotes his own wisdom when any opportunity arises and many have quoted him.  Gary Player once played a major tournament and after hitting a few perfect shots someone exclaimed that he is "lucky".  Yes, said Gary, and the more I practice the luckier I get! 

****************************************************************************

Now you can take those few steps and apply them to any successful person in history and you will see there is a perfect "fit".  Nothing happens without effort, planning etc.

Take as an example Trump! (For this exercise lets just look at the recent attempt to become POTUS - this is not a Trump thing, simply an example)

Did he have a dream?  You betcha he had / has!

Did he have a plan / strategy? O yes! and it worked / is working and future strategies are being discussed...

Did he have knowledge? Yes, some he had and some he outsourced to "expert" politicians and strategists etc.

Do you think he is willing to work hard? Well, if he was not then he would have fallen out of this race months ago!

Does he take no for an answer? - You be the judge on that one.. LOL

Luck? - he makes his own luck as far as he goes, sometimes it backfires, but that is how you learn and formulate that dream into the future.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 majoga    429

I doubt one of them could shine Trump's shoes without getting fired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
amused   
amused

Millennials biggest problem came from what the left had done to the education system.

How the hell could anyone learn anything in today's schools?

Secondly, left regulations for safety made the little creeps afraid of everything, lead, mercury, fluoride, guns, white people, police, second hand smoke, global warming, killer bees, ozone, automobiles, car seats, safety belts, knee pads, bike helmets.

It's too rough out there for the poor little goofs and most of them are still living at home with their parents.

Government makes parents pay insurance till they're like 24?

wtf?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Malevolent    2,087
2 hours ago, amused said:

Millennials biggest problem came from what the left had done to the education system.

How the hell could anyone learn anything in today's schools?

Secondly, left regulations for safety made the little creeps afraid of everything, lead, mercury, fluoride, guns, white people, police, second hand smoke, global warming, killer bees, ozone, automobiles, car seats, safety belts, knee pads, bike helmets.

It's too rough out there for the poor little goofs and most of them are still living at home with their parents.

Government makes parents pay insurance till they're like 24?

wtf?

:cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 thedudeabides    2,089
8 hours ago, Malevolent said:

There are, on this site a few of us who are not millennials, we have been there, done that and have between us quite a few T-shirts.  For all of us over 50 this makes a lot of sense.  Just think about the last few days.  We had the Mall fights, we had this torturing by "kids" and most of the trouble makers who were "directed" by elders in the election were, yes, millennials!

There is a hell of a lot of sense in what Simon says!  (And then I remembered this - @Cryptid Mold will like..) Some time ago I needed a code-monkey and interviewed a host of kids who just graduated from various colleges etc.  Man O man, no wonder most of the software out there is rubbish!  Most failed miserably in the tests we asked them to do.  I have a standard question when it comes to extracting data, "When will you use a left....." (I'll leave the rest of the question, good developers will know.)

Listening to Simon I remember what I used to teach.  Among a lot of other things, there are simply 5 (OK 6 things) things that will assist you in "climbing the mountain".

Almost all successful people have these things in common.

1.] It starts with a dream!  You need a vision to formulate that mission.

2.] Then you need a plan / strategy!  With out a plan, a dream is but a dream and will amount to nothing - just pie in the sky.

 3.] You need knowledge of the direction / product!  If you do not have it then acquire that knowledge for without knowledge your strategy will already be flawed. If acquiring is not possible then employ / contract someone who is an expert on that specific field!

4.] Willing to work hard / smart! Nothing, but nothing happens by chance!  If you are not willing to put in the hard graft and long hours, go on the dole and save yourself all the effort!

5.] Never take no for an answer! In the quest to become successful (in any level) you will have to challenge the status quo.  You cannot simply pitch a plan or product to a client and then accept his first answer.  Many times that client is simply testing you to see if you are made of the right-stuff.

6.] Luck!  Yes, we all need a bit of luck, but believe me you do make your own luck. There is a famous golfer who always quotes his own wisdom when any opportunity arises and many have quoted him.  Gary Player once played a major tournament and after hitting a few perfect shots someone exclaimed that he is "lucky".  Yes, said Gary, and the more I practice the luckier I get! 

****************************************************************************

Now you can take those few steps and apply them to any successful person in history and you will see there is a perfect "fit".  Nothing happens without effort, planning etc.

Take as an example Trump! (For this exercise lets just look at the recent attempt to become POTUS - this is not a Trump thing, simply an example)

Did he have a dream?  You betcha he had / has!

Did he have a plan / strategy? O yes! and it worked / is working and future strategies are being discussed...

Did he have knowledge? Yes, some he had and some he outsourced to "expert" politicians and strategists etc.

Do you think he is willing to work hard? Well, if he was not then he would have fallen out of this race months ago!

Does he take no for an answer? - You be the judge on that one.. LOL

Luck? - he makes his own luck as far as he goes, sometimes it backfires, but that is how you learn and formulate that dream into the future.

 

 

 

 

This was true before the 1990s. 

 

I had my plan, and my strategy, then 2008 happened and everything became broken. Now I cannot find a job paying over $15 an hour any where.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Oregonian    255
1 hour ago, thedudeabides said:

That was before the 1990s.

I had mmasonsn, and my strategy, th en 2008 ha appened and everything became broken. Now I cannot find a job paying over $15 an hour any where.

Sounds lime a milIenial excuse

Afraid to get your hands dirty? Too cool to do construction?

Heres A plan. Get your CDL and drive dump trucks or concrete trucks fkr 25.00 an hour. Or become a union mason. Or concrete pumper for 30.00........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 thedudeabides    2,089
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Oregonian said:

Sounds lime a milIenial excuse

Afraid to get your hands dirty? Too cool to do construction?

Heres A plan. Get your CDL and drive dump trucks or concrete trucks fkr 25.00 an hour. Or become a union mason. Or concrete pumper for 30.00........

yea that is a lie. I worked in construction for 10 years. Just so you know, jackass, millennials are upwards of 36 years old now. I served in the Army. I have gone to college, and have nearly completed 3 degrees. I have a decent job. It is assholes like you that are the problem, think you know everything and you don't know shit. 

 

All of those wages you just stated are make believe. They died in 2008.

 

The average american makes under 45k a year.   The cost of living is over 48k.

Edited by thedudeabides

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 foxtrot2000    583
2 hours ago, thedudeabides said:

This was true before the 1990s. 

 

I had my plan, and my strategy, then 2008 happened and everything became broken. Now I cannot find a job paying over $15 an hour any where.

Life was pretty good pre-2008. I was making anywhere between $10-$25k on real estate commissions and my husband was making 14k a month at a car dealership then WHAM! The economy went tits up. We are still recovering. I stayed home with the baby and he got into the nuclear field. It was a smart move. Good luck to you. Aren't you the one with 12 kids?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, thedudeabides said:

The average american makes under 45k a year.   The cost of living is over 48k.

Cost of living is approx. $25/hour and the dang temp agencies are still trying to fill positions of $10/hr (or even less).  Who can live on that?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Cryptic Mole    3,587
11 hours ago, Malevolent said:

There are, on this site a few of us who are not millennials, we have been there, done that and have between us quite a few T-shirts.  For all of us over 50 this makes a lot of sense.  Just think about the last few days.  We had the Mall fights, we had this torturing by "kids" and most of the trouble makers who were "directed" by elders in the election were, yes, millennials!

There is a hell of a lot of sense in what Simon says!  (And then I remembered this - @Cryptid Mold will like..) Some time ago I needed a code-monkey and interviewed a host of kids who just graduated from various colleges etc.  Man O man, no wonder most of the software out there is rubbish!  Most failed miserably in the tests we asked them to do.  I have a standard question when it comes to extracting data, "When will you use a left....." (I'll leave the rest of the question, good developers will know.)

Listening to Simon I remember what I used to teach.  Among a lot of other things, there are simply 5 (OK 6 things) things that will assist you in "climbing the mountain".

Almost all successful people have these things in common.

1.] It starts with a dream!  You need a vision to formulate that mission.

2.] Then you need a plan / strategy!  With out a plan, a dream is but a dream and will amount to nothing - just pie in the sky.

 3.] You need knowledge of the direction / product!  If you do not have it then acquire that knowledge for without knowledge your strategy will already be flawed. If acquiring is not possible then employ / contract someone who is an expert on that specific field!

4.] Willing to work hard / smart! Nothing, but nothing happens by chance!  If you are not willing to put in the hard graft and long hours, go on the dole and save yourself all the effort!

5.] Never take no for an answer! In the quest to become successful (in any level) you will have to challenge the status quo.  You cannot simply pitch a plan or product to a client and then accept his first answer.  Many times that client is simply testing you to see if you are made of the right-stuff.

6.] Luck!  Yes, we all need a bit of luck, but believe me you do make your own luck. There is a famous golfer who always quotes his own wisdom when any opportunity arises and many have quoted him.  Gary Player once played a major tournament and after hitting a few perfect shots someone exclaimed that he is "lucky".  Yes, said Gary, and the more I practice the luckier I get! 

****************************************************************************

Now you can take those few steps and apply them to any successful person in history and you will see there is a perfect "fit".  Nothing happens without effort, planning etc.

Take as an example Trump! (For this exercise lets just look at the recent attempt to become POTUS - this is not a Trump thing, simply an example)

Did he have a dream?  You betcha he had / has!

Did he have a plan / strategy? O yes! and it worked / is working and future strategies are being discussed...

Did he have knowledge? Yes, some he had and some he outsourced to "expert" politicians and strategists etc.

Do you think he is willing to work hard? Well, if he was not then he would have fallen out of this race months ago!

Does he take no for an answer? - You be the judge on that one.. LOL

Luck? - he makes his own luck as far as he goes, sometimes it backfires, but that is how you learn and formulate that dream into the future.

 

16

It's funny you're mentioning this right now.

I just came from a business meeting with my son who owns a large and expanding company here in NYC. His company has just leased a large warehouse and added 3 more vehicles to their fleet fully wrapped to advertise his company. He is looking to hire more employees and has begun the process of interviewing.

We were going over all the same things about expanding the business because of the expected economic growth with The Trumpet being elected. We have been doing massive research campaigns into this area to help develop an executable business plan for the next 4 years.

We also discussed the problem with the newer kids coming into the workforce and how most are not even qualified for the jobs they were trained for even in college. It's really disheartening, to say the least! Now the time has come to overlook the college degrees and just search for the best candidates for the job. We have discovered that more times than not, those without a degree and sometimes even without any college training at all are better qualified. That's a complete contradiction, but that's exactly the way it is!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Cryptic Mole    3,587
1 minute ago, Malevolent said:

@Cryptid Mold  Strongs and good luck with the son' business. :cheers:

 
 

 

Thanks. He has this company for about 10-12 years now, so he was already well established in the tristate/tri state area well before obama. Surprisingly, though, that had very little effect on his business. Sometimes I think my son took business lessons from Donald Trump. lol.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up to our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  1. Jump To Top
×