Advertise With Us!
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
DarkKnightNomeD

Massachusetts feels the impact of having highest state minimum wage

Rate this topic

DarkKnightNomeD    1,634

Everyone is out of a JOB now  :laugh:

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/01/03/massachusetts-feels-the-impact-of-having-highest-state-minimum-wage/

-

Massachusetts is finding out the hard way that merely raising the state’s minimum wage does not automatically make life better for minimum wage workers — in fact, it could have the opposite impact.

On Jan. 1, Massachusetts’ minimum wage rose from $10 per hour to $11 per hour —  that’s up $3 per hour from as recently as January 2014, the Boston Globe reported.

The Bay State was among 19 states that voted in November to give minimum wage workers a raise, as ABC News noted. Oregon, Washington, D.C., and Maryland are all expected to raise the minimum wage later this year.

“Living wage” advocates aren’t stopping there. Raise Up Massachusetts is a nonprofit organization that helped catapult Massachusetts’ minimum wage to the highest in the country, along with Washington state, which also raised its minimum wage to $11 per hour. In a Facebook post on Sunday, the group vowed to “keep fighting for $15.”

But the “Fight for 15” movement is not without consequence for the very workers it was designed to help.

The Globe spoke with one Massachusetts business owner who has cut her staff from 50 to 20 in the past two years alone, telling the newspaper she just couldn’t afford to pay all those workers the ever-rising, state-mandated amount.

• Like 1

Sulie   
Sulie

Poeple forget, that those who want wages increased will have to pay more, for simple things like a loaf of bread, or a roll of toilet paper. Supply, and demand. There is a reason why there are haves, and have nots.

Sulie   
Sulie

There will always be controlsin place.

Asking for $15 an hour to work at McDonald's..lol.

They must want to take a wheel barrow stuffed with useless cash to grocery. It's called INFLATION, and useless tools don't get it.

majoga    429

All those Ivy league degrees up there and they don't understand that they can't defeat math.

Sulie   
Sulie

With all that said, the system, as it is, ENCOURAGES people to commit illegal activity to survive.

Quick1966    1,059
10 minutes ago, Sulie said:

With all that said, the system, as it is, ENCOURAGES people to commit illegal activity to survive.

Lol! Yeah which leads to working in a for profit prison for pennies on the dollar.

FlhxsGeek    55

My argument to this stupidity is why are you being so cheap?  If Raising the minimum wage is all it takes to fix poverty just make it $30 an hour.  It's funny the reaction this gets.  

Sulie   
Sulie
2 minutes ago, FlhxsGeek said:

My argument to this stupidity is why are you being so cheap?  If Raising the minimum wage is all it takes to fix poverty just make it $30 an hour.  It's funny the reaction this gets.  

Anything, is never enough. You're always going to have working poor. 

If you raise it, what will people do, to afford a loaf of bread? Raising costs via wage increases does not work, and is SIMPLE economics taught in High School.

Cinnamon    15,963
31 minutes ago, FlhxsGeek said:

That isn't all it takes to fix poverty. Have you ever tried to run a business? Employers are required to pay half the social security payments of workers, provide insurance in the form of liability, unemployment and worker's compensation all the while trying to make enough money to support themselves and their families, purchase inventory, pay accountants to do the job the government doesn't want to do and pay for a space in order to house the business along with water, power, heat and air conditioning for the employees.  And pay their own taxes. Depending on the business there are a host of other expenses involved to keep the EPA and other 3 or 4 letter alphabet agencies happy. Then there are legal costs if something else goes wrong.  On top of all that, they still have to try and do what they started the business for in the first place, sell product. 

DarkKnightNomeD    1,634
26 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

That isn't all it takes to fix poverty. Have you ever tried to run a business? Employers are required to pay half the social security payments of workers, provide insurance in the form of liability, unemployment and worker's compensation all the while trying to make enough money to support themselves and their families, purchase inventory, pay accountants to do the job the government doesn't want to do and pay for a space in order to house the business along with water, power, heat and air conditioning for the employees.  And pay their own taxes. Depending on the business there are a host of other expenses involved to keep the EPA and other 3 or 4 letter alphabet agencies happy. Then there are legal costs if something else goes wrong.  On top of all that, they still have to try and do what they started the business for in the first place, sell product. 

Sounds a lot like how Mafia or Communists run things, "cost of / to do business".

FlhxsGeek    55

Sometimes my satire doesn't show thru well enough Cinn.  I hold no misconceptions that raising the minimum wage does anything beneficial for those at the entry end of the job market.  Too many people trying to make entry level jobs into a career.  

Personally I have no idea why anyone with no marketable job skills would stay in a large city.  

RetiredRogue    127
5 hours ago, Cinnamon said:

Not all business owners could just charge more for your product. When I owned an "Independent Insurance Agency"" for over twenty years. I couldn't  tell my nine  largest insurance companies I used to raise there commission rates so i could make more money and pay my employees more money. I was a small agency, but still had to set aside $12-K a month. So there are small businessess in the USA that can't pass on there increases. The owner would have to assume those costs.