Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!
Hello, readers! Please consider adding conspiracyoutpost.com to your adblock whitelist. Our ads support the development and upkeep of the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cryptic Mole

Radio Equipment You Should Already Have Just In Case

Cryptic Mole    4,028

In the event of a national emergency, the following radio equipment should be ready to go.

1. Programmable Scanner Radio = Fire, police, EMS, utilities, bridges, and tunnels, aircraft, railways, marine, coast guard, weather, and some military.

2. CB Radio = Monitoring truckers channels can tell you a lot about what's happening. Also, you may need to use the emergency channel for help if it's still available. You should also have a pair of walkie-talkies for communications amongst the family if need be.

3. Shortwave Radio = Local, National, and international news both radio and TV stations.

4. Ham Radio = You need a license to buy a transmitter, (unless that has changed) but you can still purchase a receiver to listen in to private citizens and what's happening where they live. Many are used as relays to send messages over long distances that are usually not possible with just one transmitter. When the military is having troubles with their communications, many times they will locate a ham operator to send and receive for them until their communications are restored. Serious ham operators usually have power generators.

NOTE: All of this equipment should be handheld portables for when the power grid goes down. Your second choice if you can afford it should be all the radios above as a base station when the power is up and running. If you cannot afford them, then stick with the handheld portables first.

Keep a fresh supply of batteries and/or solar charging equipment with enough rechargeable batteries.

Hand crank radios really suck, break real easy, or just won't hold a long enough charge.

Cryptic Mole    4,028

There are other types of radios that you can purchase, but those are for more advanced and serious DX'ers. You'll have no real need for them because the 4 types I have already discussed will cover everything that you'll ever need.

radio doc    372

#4. a ham radio license is required to use the transmitter portion of of the radio that is under part 97 of fcc regs. the receivers are authorized under part 15. perfectly legal for all to use a ham radio in a scanner configuration without any requirement for license. 

it is very common practice and perfectly legal. but there are still some remnants of old timers misinterpreting the law that still may like to have you jump through a hoop for their entertainment by tellin ya that you need a license but they are full of it!

there are cheap handheld radios available that cover the full spectrum from am radio to shortwave to uhf! 

if you need digital or trunking in you area you are out of luck though, no ham rigs yet that cover public safety in those modes.

but if your area is analog a ham rig is worth considering.

https://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2821

very good thread about it above!

remember a license is required for operation of its transmitter only!

any one needing guidance on picking an appropriate radio for your needs, or finding the best deal on it, or setup of it, just ask, id be glad to help!

Cryptic Mole    4,028
6 minutes ago, radio doc said:

#4. a ham radio license is required to use the transmitter portion of of the radio that is under part 97 of fcc regs. the receivers are authorized under part 15. perfectly legal for all to use a ham radio in a scanner configuration without any requirement for license. 

it is very common practice and perfectly legal. but there are still some remnants of old timers misinterpreting the law that still may like to have you jump through a hoop for their entertainment by tellin ya that you need a license but they are full of it!

there are cheap handheld radios available that cover the full spectrum from am radio to shortwave to uhf! 

if you need digital or trunking in you area you are out of luck though, no ham rigs yet that cover public safety in those modes.

but if your area is analog a ham rig is worth considering.

Who better to show up here on this thread than the Radio Doc?!?! Lol.

Yeah, I'm old school and not up on the latest rules and regulations of the fcc.

Sad about the trunked systems not being available, though. I guess the federal government and the military wanted to keep them out of the citizens hands at all costs, but I suppose I can understand why they would do that.

radio doc    372
8 minutes ago, Cryptid Mold said:

Who better to show up here on this thread than the Radio Doc?!?! Lol.

Yeah, I'm old school and not up on the latest rules and regulations of the fcc.

Sad about the trunked systems not being available, though. I guess the federal government and the military wanted to keep them out of the citizens hands at all costs, but I suppose I can understand why they would do that.

its more of a patent issue between manufacturers, its not the government at all

you can legally own a part 90 radio like they use legally also, but its prohibitively expensive but is available. 

radio doc    372

a 25 dollar uv5r will nicely serve the needs of most as a scanner

but you could go crazy and get a kenwood th 74!..

or many things in between.

Cryptic Mole    4,028
13 minutes ago, radio doc said:

its more of a patent issue between manufacturers, its not the government at all

you can legally own a part 90 radio like they use legally also, but its prohibitively expensive but is available. 

I didn't know this. Thanks for that info.

Cryptic Mole    4,028
1 minute ago, radio doc said:

but you could go crazy and get a kenwood th 74!

Some of these newer radios are really cheap and perform well enough.

That's important for someone on a budget.

radio doc    372
38 minutes ago, Cryptid Mold said:

Some of these newer radios are really cheap and perform well enough.

That's important for someone on a budget.

for most ppl in my area thats all thats all that is called for, no digital yet no trunking so why waste the money!

and besides, id rather have a bunch of cheap ones in various locations or stashes for the sake of diversity, rather than one expensive one that i would be in fear of damaging a six hundred dollar kenwood , 

disposability , not having to cry over a damaged radio is priceless.

so is not putting all your eggs in one basket! 

ive been through dozens of those uv5rs , i get them for 25 dollars, program them, use them for awhile for quality assurance purposes and write a little book for it, and soon as someone sees it , it sells.i walk into a bar with a coatful of radios like a flasher,and we all go outside for a smoke!

it is illegall to program and use these radios on unlicensed frs/murs and are not accepted for licensed gmrs use under part 90.  the law says...

but reality says are you kiddin me!

that was not an endorsement of illegall use.☠️

Cryptic Mole    4,028
6 minutes ago, radio doc said:

for most ppl in my area thats all thats all that is called for, no digital yet no trunking so why waste the money!

and besides, id rather have a bunch of cheap ones in various locations or stashes for the sake of diversity, rather than one expensive one that i would be in fear of damaging a six hundred dollar kenwood , 

disposability , not having to cry over a damaged radio is priceless.

so is not putting all your eggs in one basket! 

That all makes perfect sense. Even a pair of family type two way radios are cheap enough these days. I've seen families use them while at the malls so their children can roam a bit and still feel like they have some freedom and the parents still remain in communication with their kids. Everyone is happy.

Cryptic Mole    4,028
32 minutes ago, radio doc said:

but you could go crazy and get a kenwood th 74!..

I didn't see these posted. Lol. I'll watch them another time. I am familiar with these radios as well.

majoga    429

Maybe a stupid question, but if things really hit the fan, how concerned should one be about enforcement of regulations?

Jump To Top