Jump to content
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Earthquake, Volcano and Solar Watch

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

 CGK    2,174

NOTE: Any new "events" will be added to the last page of this thread.


The U.S. Geological Survey says a strong earthquake struck in the Fiji Islands region, but a tsunami is not expected.

The 6.5-magnitude quake struck at 1:28 p.m. with its epicenter about 26 miles east northeast of Ndoi Island, Fiji.

The quake struck at a depth of 349 miles.

No damage or injuries were immediately reported.



Ive been keeping an eye on the earthquake sites and was not surprised by the 6.5. For that matter, I don't think we are done with the moderate/large quakes just yet.

In the past few days we have had 3 significant solar flares pop off the sun. A double M2 followed a short time later by and M4. All 3 flares are associated with earth facing Coronal Mass Ejections. (CME) In other words, we are taking a hit.

Solar wind conditions are expected to become perturbed later today by a
glancing blow from the June 18 CME, followed by the arrival of another
glancing blow from the June 19 CME and the arrival of the June 21 CME from
the afternoon of June 22 onwards.
Minor to moderate geomagnetic storms may occur later today and tomorrow
with possibly major to severe storms late June 22 and June 23 associated to
the arrival of the June 21 CME.




Here is a nice graphic. The yellow dot is earth.




So for those who are sensitive to solar events, headaches, nervousness, irritability and nausea might affect you for the next few days.  I rarely get headaches, but I know when sun vomits on us because my head feels like its in a vice grip..LOL

  • Like 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
 CGK    2,174


New Scientific Study Shows Solar Activity Affects Humans Physical and Mental State



Solar Symptoms and Side Effects

Psychological effects of CMEs (coronal mass ejections) are typically short lived and include headache, palpitations, mood swings, and feeling generally unwell. Chaotic or confused thinking, and erratic behaviors also increase.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
 CGK    2,174
Space Weather Forecast

Outlook For June 22-28

R1-R2 (minor to moderate) radio blackouts are expected from complex Regions 2367 and 2371.
S1-S2 (minor to moderate)  are expected from 22-24 June.
G1-G3 (minor to strong) geomagnetic storms are expected on 22-23 June as effects from 3 coronal mass ejections impact Earth.




And what does this all mean?  R1-R2 is a radio blackout. S1-S2 is a solar storm. G1-G3 is s geomagnetic storm


R2 radio blackout

HF Radio: Limited blackout of HF radio communication on sunlit side, loss of radio contact for tens of minutes.

Navigation: Degradation of low-frequency navigation signals for tens of minutes.



Biological: Passengers and crew in high-flying aircraft at high latitudes may be exposed to elevated radiation risk.

Satellite operations: Infrequent single-event upsets possible.

Other systems: Small effects on HF propagation through the polar regions and navigation at polar cap locations possibly affected.


G1 storm:

Power systems: Weak power grid fluctuations can occur.

Spacecraft operations: Minor impact on satellite operations possible.

Other systems: Migratory animals are affected at this and higher levels; aurora is commonly visible at high latitudes (northern Michigan and Maine).



Power systems: High-latitude power systems may experience voltage alarms, long-duration storms may cause transformer damage.

Spacecraft operations: Corrective actions to orientation may be required by ground control; possible changes in drag affect orbit predictions.

Other systems: HF radio propagation can fade at higher latitudes, and aurora has been seen as low as New York and Idaho (typically 55° geomagnetic lat.).



Power systems: Voltage corrections may be required, false alarms triggered on some protection devices.

Spacecraft operations: Surface charging may occur on satellite components, drag may increase on low-Earth-orbit satellites, and corrections may be needed for orientation problems.

Other systems: Intermittent satellite navigation and low-frequency radio navigation problems may occur, HF radio may be intermittent, and aurora has been seen as low as Illinois and Oregon (typically 50° geomagnetic lat.).




So what does all this gibberish mean for you? Probably nothing. Although, we might have some problems with electronics, cell service, GPS, TV, power, etc. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
 CGK    2,174

BIG SUNSPOT FACES EARTH: One of the biggest sunspots of the current solar cycle, AR2371, is directly facing Earth. The active region has an unstable 'beta-gamma-delta' magnetic field that harbors energy for strong explosions. NOAA forecasters estimate a 70% chance of M-class solar flares and a 30% chance of X-flares on June 22nd.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
 CGK    2,174

(June 22 1844UTC) ALERT Powerful Flares Continue – AR12371 released an M6.5 solar flare directly at earth. The CME looks big, but we’ll need a few hours to fully diagnose the eruption. A Level 1 Geomagnetic Storm is taking place, the Proton Radiation Storm is rising further, and we still await the 3rd CME shockwave.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
 CGK    2,174

SEVERE GEOMAGNETIC STORM IN PROGRESS: A severe G4-class geomagnetic storm is in progress on June 22nd. This follows a series of rapid-fire CME strikes to Earth's magnetic field during the past 24 hours. Magnetic fields in the wake of the latest CME are strongly coupled to Earth's own magnetic field. This is a condition that could sustain the geomagnetic storm for many hours to come. High- and mid-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras tonight, especially during the hours around local midnight

EARTH-DIRECTED SOLAR FLARE, RADIO BLACKOUT: Sunspot AR2371 has erupted again, producing a strong M6.5 class solar flare. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory captured the flare's extreme ultraviolet flash on June 22nd at 18:23 UT:


Image: http://spaceweather.com/images2015/22jun15/m6_strip.jpg



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
 CGK    2,174
G4 Alert: Another storm reaches severe levels

published: Monday, June 22, 2015 20:33 UTC

The geomagnetic storm began as forecasted and quickly ramped up to severe (G4)  levels.  SWPC issued the G4 Alert at 1858 UT (2:58 pm EDT), after the storm slammed into Earth at 1839 UT (2:39 pm EDT). This is the same intensity level reached in March, 2015 during the St. Patrick's Day storm.  This is the very early stages of an event that will play out over many hours, with SWPC forecasting continuing storm level intensities into tomorrow.  In Europe watchers should be looking for the aurora now and there is hope for those over the US tonight.  Stay tuned here, as there is more happening to tell you about.



Interesting line from NOAA...there is more happening to tell you about???


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
 CGK    2,174

3  Earthquakes in Oklahoma today!


4.1-magnitude earthquake rocks Oklahoma City metro

4.1-magnitude earthquake was recorded Monday evening in the Oklahoma City metro, according to a United States Geological Survey report.

About 5:15 p.m., an earthquake started eight miles northeast of Edmond. It could be felt in Guthrie, Choctaw, Warr Acres and Oklahoma City.

Two more earthquakes could be felt in Oklahoma during the past two hours.

A 3.3-magnitude earthquake that started at about 5 p.m. southwest of Pawnee, and a 3.7-magnitude quake shook at about 4:20 p.m. north-northeast of Edmond.



Two Earthquakes Reported Monday In Oklahoma

Two earthquakes shook up parts of Oklahoma Monday afternoon, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

The first earthquake was a reported magnitude of 3.7 and was reported about 4:05 p.m. in southern Logan County.

The earthquake's epicenter was reported about eight miles north, northeast of Edmond, eight miles south of Guthrie and 20 miles north, northeast of Oklahoma City, and was about three miles deep, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

The second earthquake was a 3.3-magnitude was reported shortly before 5 p.m. in Pawnee County. 

The 3.3 magnitude earthquake's epicenter was reported about four miles southwest of Pawnee, 16 miles northeast of Stillwater and 31 miles south, southeast of Ponca City. The earthquake was about 3 miles deep, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

No immediate reports of damage or injuries were reported in either earthquake.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
 CGK    2,174

I know a lot of people who follow space weather think BP makes a big deal out of nothing, but the man explains events very well.

He is correct in his video talking about the Cleveland Volcano in Alaska as well. Ive had my eye on it and its had elevated activity for the past week.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up to our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  1. Jump To Top