Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Talon

Why Did Military Planes and Helicopters Circle Manhattan Without Warning This Afternoon? NYPD Says It Doesn’t Know

Talon    716

In a rare sight (rare as in, it never really happens unless something bad is going down), low-flying military aircraft were spotted circling Manhattan this afternoon without advance notice, and NYPD claimed they didn’t know why.

Apparently these craft did a lot of laps:

@OkFineItsMe lap number 8

— (@UseCommon) December 13, 2016

And no advance notice:

Almost all flyovers, military, commercial, or otherwise, have a lot of advance notice from @NotifyNYC.

This one did not. https://t.co/hjFuofxe2B

— Jason Rabinowitz (@AirlineFlyer) December 13, 2016

When Deputy News Director at BuzzFeed Tom Namako asked the NYPD about it, they said they didn’t know why military aircraft were circling Manhattan.

The @NYPDnews just told @BuzzFeedNews they don’t know why this plane is circling Manhattan. https://t.co/MHL4wktbCH

— Tom Namako (@TomNamako) December 13, 2016

hearing that the NYPD doesn’t know why there’s a plane circling Manhattan is not exactly relaxing

— Nina Sabak (@ninasabak) December 13, 2016

After enough startled people raised enough questions, the FAA put out a one-line “non-statement” saying the flights were authorized:

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/why-did-military-planes-and-helicopters-circle-manhattan-without-warning-this-afternoon-nypd-says-it-doesnt-know_122016

Quick1966    1,240

Oh that's reassuring. If I remember correctly on 9/11 the military was running a live simulation and it was if terrorists hijacked passenger planes and wouldn't you know it they did! Well if you believe the BS narrative that the government and MSM peddled it was terrorist with box cutters.

COBO Member    4,311

Heh heh...it's when you see people with 'chutes pouring out the back of that Herc and fast-ropers dropping out of those Blackhawks...

Talon    716

Many New Yorkers were alarmed this afternoon by a USAF C-130 and several Black Hawk helicopters that could be seen circling at low altitudes over Manhattan.  Per the Washington Post, U.S. Air Force Col. Nicholas Broccoli, the vice commander of the Air National Guard’s 106th Rescue Wing, said the aircraft were conducting "standard military training."  That said, there is seemingly very little that is "standard" about a C-130 circling at low altitudes over Manhattan for 30 minutes.   

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-12-13/anxious-new-yorkers-question-why-military-plane-circled-manhattan-repeatedly-today

Jostler    2,230

"standard military training" ....lets see...  minimum safe altitude is:

(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

Freedom Tower is 1776 feet tall and Bank of America is 1200 feet tall so a C130 flying at 3000 is pretty close to that minimum.  Maybe they were just practicing some scenario related to keeping Trump safe, but "standard" seems a bit of understatement.

COBO Member    4,311
49 minutes ago, Jostler said:

"standard military training" ....lets see...  minimum safe altitude is:

(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

Freedom Tower is 1776 feet tall and Bank of America is 1200 feet tall so a C130 flying at 3000 is pretty close to that minimum.  Maybe they were just practicing some scenario related to keeping Trump safe, but "standard" seems a bit of understatement.

Heh heh...now if it had been an AC-130...

Jostler    2,230
32 minutes ago, COBO Member said:

Believe me, that was the first thing I looked for in those pics :)   But, he was banking the wrong way, he was too low, and we got a good enough look to see it didn't have any guns sticking out the left side.  I love that bird :)  But I hope I never see one used in NY City...or any other US city for that matter.

A bit off topic, but if anyone is interested here's a video of what's happenning inside a C-130 gunship:

And here's what it looks like in support of a VIP extraction mission (graphic):

These guys fly at a steady 7000 feet in continuous left hand circle...and you don't want to be under it when it's busy :/

LuckyBolt    1,795

We've been having flyovers like this in Denver as well.  Week or so ago I was out on a walk and a huge miltary chopper was circling over downtown in broad daylight.  This look like a transporter of sorts.

amused   
amused

The answer is obvious.

They were scanning for nuclear material..

I've seen this before.

thoth    372
12 hours ago, COBO Member said:

Spector gun ship

a very serious weapon 

i flue high cover for these guys in nam 

the 20 mm will put a bullet in every sq in of a football field 

the 105 can take out an armored anything traveling at 70 mph  at 10000 ft agl in clouds 

they never see it coming 

COBO Member    4,311
8 hours ago, amused said:

The answer is obvious.

They were scanning for nuclear material..

I've seen this before.

Without getting a real close look at the Herc (model-wise), I'd say this was a real good possibility. Otherwise, it could be just as claimed..."standard training" by Reservists.