Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Ukshep

My Bias Against Religion

Ukshep    21,663

Question: “After watching your video titled ‘Evidence for God?’, I reached a dilemma that I cannot solve. I am considering the possibly that there are some truths that are better left unknown. I have come to believe that atheism by itself is legitimate, however I fear for a world full of atheists because vanity and arrogance can so easily take over when one rejects the notion of a divine supervisor. With the liability inherent in atheism, how do I reconcile truth with morality?”

good listen as always!

Sky Cat   
Sky Cat

Yeah, another good one, Stephan usually makes some good speeches.

I often go by the label 'deist atheist' (which most people do not understand because of the pervasive misunderstanding of the word atheist.)

Walk Softly    2,830

I'll definitely listen.  

I touch, very briefly, on atheism and morality in my grand perception thread. 

If the God of the Bible is true, then whether or not you believe won't have much of an effect on your moral compass because you are still connected to God.  Since God created you, a moral compass was instilled in you.  Pressed onto your heart at the moment of birth(that is my presumption anyway).  

There are certainly things that can cause good people to lose their moral compass.  I won't go into all the ways it can happen, but it can and does happen. 

I would like to touch on one quick subject.  Hate and fear will continue to grow, often times unknowingly, within an individual as they grow older in the absence of God.  They typically manifest as cynicism and anger.  Old people get grumpy, right?  They still have the capacity to experience other emotions, such as love and occasional happiness, so they don't notice their losing battle.  It saddens me to see this.  A lot.  All people, who live a God free life will, at some point, harden their hearts, and the acceptance of God is no longer viable.  This saddens me the most.  

God tells us this life is about happiness, family, love and doing the right thing.  It feels good, and once you get into the cycle, it's easy to stay.   Sure, you get knocked out from time to time, but the key is to find your way back.  There is no shame in asking for help!

I guess I should listen to the video before I get too far along here.  I'll report back if I feel I can add anything beneficial to the conversation. 

Ok I listened before I posted.  Good stuff. 

The guy is right, power corrupts in this world.  There is no doubt about that.  

There are a lot of examples, but here is one. 

Galatians 6:8  "because the person who sows to his own flesh will reap corruption from the flesh, but the one who sows to the Spirit will reap eternal life from the Spirit."

Even those who belong to religious organizations can be corrupted and sow their own flesh.  I am NOT a believer in organized religion, or churches for the most part.  I'm sure there are some good ones out there.  

Money makes it worse.

James 5 "Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming on you.2 Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes. 3 Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days. 4 Look! The wages you failed to pay the workers who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord Almighty. 5 You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter.[a]6 You have condemned and murdered the innocent one, who was not opposing you."

The most important thing I could ever tell someone is this:  God can be found by any willing and earnest search.  Sesrch, and you shall find.   

Jeramiah 29:13 "You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart." 

The lies of this world blind you.  You have to recognize that before you begin your search.  It is a journey only you can take.  I cannot tell you how, or where to look.  But look honestly, and with all your heart and God will show you.  

God bless!!

P.S.  One last thought.   In order for people who don't believe in God to have a moral compass, I believe that in itself is a testament to the reality of God.  If there is no God, we are nothing more than animals and everyone would devour eachother without a trace of empathy.  Yes we have wars.  Yes we have murders and horrible abuses.  But the majority of people are good.  Statistically speaking.  But the numbers are getting smaller and smaller as we grow farther from God, as foretold in the Bible!

Cryptic Mole    4,559

Giving up on God does not make you an atheist. That's a contradiction. It means he believes in God, but is butt hurt by how he is being treated by God. An atheist does not believe in God or any other gods. His bias against religion is not against religion. His bias is against God. God didn't turn his back on him, he actually turned his back on God. Then he takes the easy route and claims atheism.

BornUntamed    436

All I know is I've lived a life without God and currently live a life with God.  I'll never go back, I've learned too much and seen/experienced things that defy reality.

i do believe that the current incarnation of the church is pathetic.  I don't believe in "religion".  I believe in The Way, The Truth and The Life.  Christianity is too diverse and in opposition to the Word of God.  Even Muslims get visited by Jesus and they instantly know it's true and start following Jesus.

i guess the short answer is don't follow your church, your pastor, your congregation or your denomination.  There is only one Jesus and He's who you follow.

grav   
grav

I'm anti-theist, against all religions. Actually, that means anti-supernatural, anti-magic.

If you're born into a Baptist family, and you live in the Bible Belt, you're a Baptist.

Likewise Muslim, Hindu, etc. How can there be one God if there are so many belief systems? If God is just and merciful, then how can children be raped, sold like livestock, tortured, killed? Why did Abraham accept God's command to sacrifice his own son? Why would God allow his own son to be abused and crucified? For my sins? Because of original sin? Babies?

Religion and morality are not mutually exclusive. Referring to forced bunking quarters with strangers in ye olde inns and sailing ships, it was said that it was

“Better to sleep with a sober cannibal than a drunk Christian.”

~ Herman Melville, Moby-Dick; or, The Whale

RabidWolf    1,080
3 hours ago, Ukshep said:

Question: “After watching your video titled ‘Evidence for God?’, I reached a dilemma that I cannot solve. I am considering the possibly that there are some truths that are better left unknown. I have come to believe that atheism by itself is legitimate, however I fear for a world full of atheists because vanity and arrogance can so easily take over when one rejects the notion of a divine supervisor. With the liability inherent in atheism, how do I reconcile truth with morality?”

good listen as always!

I was actually watching this one earlier today.(right after he uploaded it) lol

A good listen, that's for sure! 

LuckyBolt    1,522

Hello, my name is LuckyBolt...

I "found" God on August 3rd this year through deep meditation after reading Who Am I? Why Am I Here? by Patricia Diane Cota-Robles.  This book opened my mind and allowed me to suspend all of my disbelief for the few minutes it took to connect with God.  I also engaged with other deceased friends and family members as they appeared as energy and light in my mind.  All of them there, happy, full of spirit and wisdom.

My morning was spent talking to God as I traversed through my day, floating, in what I can only describe as an out of body experience.  I could hardly do my job because my spirit was so disconnected from my body.  I asked questions like a child discovering life for the first time.  Even some weird events happened that proved even further I was channeling something.  It was the most amazing experience ever and it has brought me to my beliefs and capacity to love myself and others deeply on a different level each more every day.

The next day I had to get Craniosacral work done and she was able to reconnect my spirit to my body.  I could literally feel myself being downloaded back into my flesh and finally being at ease and relaxed.  I got up with a spring in my foot and a clarity I've only felt in my life a few times. 

I few days after that I met a woman and we fell madly in love.

I used to float through life like a leaf in the wind, attaching myself to material objects and substance induced experiences, driven by the ego, like a lot of people do these days. 

It's been an amazing ride these past couple months where I accidentally stumbled onto this forum through my endless rabbit hole trips and dot connecting conquests.

I haven't spoken to God since then deliberately like I did, but just knowing and having that feeling that maybe, just maybe, we've been put here for a reason, that we didn't evolve from some amoeba in a puddle of mud hundreds of thousands of years ago, it gives me more purpose and the feeling of being extraordinary.  And if life exists beyond this vessel, well, then there is no fearing death.  And when you can conquer fear....  Holy shit do the doors open widely than ever before.

Cheers,

Walk Softly    2,830
18 minutes ago, grav said:

If you're born into a Baptist family, and you live in the Bible Belt, you're a Baptist.

Likewise Muslim, Hindu, etc. How can there be one God if there are so many belief systems?

For a quick rebuttal to this silly (sorry) idea, simply google statistics on christians or any other religion in any country you wish and you will see this is an inaccurate ideology.  Is America only christian?  no.  Is Iraq only muslim?  no.  Is Israel only jewish?  no.  

21 minutes ago, grav said:

If God is just and merciful, then how can children be raped, sold like livestock, tortured, killed?

It is sad.  I agree.  Heartbreaking.  But, in a world where we have free will to do as we please, the side effect becomes clear.  

Removing God for a moment, (sorry, God) let's put our government in control.  Should we allow our government use a technique that makes us numb, obedient and blind followers of them, thus removing all chance of said atrocities?  I think not.  And so do you.  Why would you assume God should do the same?  Free will is only viable when we have the free will to express it.  I'm thinking this life is a test.  Surround us with sin and temptation.  Let us choose.  And we do.  

26 minutes ago, grav said:

Why did Abraham accept God's command to sacrifice his own son?

Why would God allow his own son to be abused and crucified? For my sins?

This has been explained in the past.  Again, it was a test as the Bible makes very clear.  How faithful are you, Abraham?  Faithful enough to sacrifice your child for God?  Yes?  Good, you pass the test, now sacrifice this lamb instead.  Your gifts will abound, as will they for your descendants!  

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
John 3:16 KJV

Why?  Because, again, we needed saving.  This is also a lesson that death is not to be feared.  He sent his son to die for us because, while the sting of fleshly death is temporary, the joy of eternal life is, well... eternal.  

32 minutes ago, grav said:

“Better to sleep with a sober cannibal than a drunk Christian.”

1 Peter 5:8 - Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

1 Corinthians 6:10 - Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Proverbs 23:20‭-‬21 Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh:  For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags.

I would argue that a REAL christian is neither a drunkard, nor dangerous.  

Grav, I know full well we don't agree on this, but I still try.  God bless.  :)

BornUntamed    436
11 minutes ago, Sky Cat said:

There's a big difference between debating the topic of religion and practicing it.

Someone I think that would be worth your while to listen to is Ravi Zacharias.  He is an apologist that debates and answers questions.  He delves into areas of thought and reason that are quite intriguing.