Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Lucy Barnable

Newts

Lucy Barnable    5,393

They're everywhere!

I've seen more newts in the past few days than I've ever seen in my life. Day and night they're just crawling about. A baby one was on the front steps earlier.

Weird.

Cryptic Mole    5,200

Newts? The little red newts? Lizard-like little thingies?

We have them here in NYC, butI haven't seen one since I was a kid.

They live under rocks and things like that out in the fields.

Lucy Barnable    5,393
13 minutes ago, Cryptid Mold said:

Newts? The little red newts? Lizard-like little thingies?

We have them here in NYC, butI haven't seen one since I was a kid.

They live under rocks and things like that out in the fields.

Yep.

At first I thought they were salamanders but my Audubon book says they're roughskin newts. They're brown with a bright orange belly. I've never seen them walking around out in the open like this. So many of them... and it's the first time I saw a baby one too. They're really passive. They just sit there when I pick them up.

Cryptic Mole    5,200
15 minutes ago, Lucy Barnable said:

Yep.

At first I thought they were salamanders but my Audubon book says they're roughskin newts. They're brown with a bright orange belly. I've never seen them walking around out in the open like this. So many of them... and it's the first time I saw a baby one too. They're really passive. They just sit there when I pick them up.

Well, it would be too cold here for them to be venturing out like that.

Maybe an earthquake is imminent in the area your staying in.?

Lucy Barnable    5,393
3 minutes ago, Cryptid Mold said:

Well, it would be too cold here for them to be venturing out like that.

Maybe an earthquake is imminent in the area your staying in.?

It's been pretty cold here. It snowed last Thursday and that's when they came up on the porch. Since then they're all over the place; in the yard and the driveway and hanging out by the front door.

I was thinking earthquake too. The hummingbirds are acting extra aggressive but that might be because of the cold.

Cryptic Mole    5,200
1 minute ago, Lucy Barnable said:

It's been pretty cold here. It snowed last Thursday and that's when they came up on the porch. Since then they're all over the place; in the yard and the driveway and hanging out by the front door.

I was thinking earthquake too. The hummingbirds are acting extra aggressive but that might be because of the cold.

My dogs have been acting crazy for a while now. Barking, whining, whimpering, and even howling. They are indoors with me and my wife. They are strictly inside dogs. They were howling today for a long while. They were howling a few days ago as well. That's not normal. for them. The only time I hear them howling is when I a fire truck comes thru the neighborhood with its siren blasting.

Lucy Barnable    5,393
10 minutes ago, Cryptid Mold said:

My dogs have been acting crazy for a while now. Barking, whining, whimpering, and even howling. They are indoors with me and my wife. They are strictly inside dogs. They were howling today for a long while. They were howling a few days ago as well. That's not normal. for them. The only time I hear them howling is when I a fire truck comes thru the neighborhood with its siren blasting.

How strange. You're on the east coast and I'm on the west coast. Lets hope it not planetary earthquake!

To be honest I've been feeling a bit off myself recently. Hyper sensitive and emotional for no reason I can point to. I haven't been howling though. lol

yeppers    157

@Lucy Barnable

Have you had a lot of rain in your area? Other than an earthquake or ground contamination there's no other reasons they would have to come out like that.

Sometimes if their living habitat gets flooded they will come out. I have a bunch that live under my raised flower beds and they only time I see them is if I over water or move the beds. 

Lucy Barnable    5,393
5 hours ago, yeppers said:

@Lucy Barnable

Have you had a lot of rain in your area? Other than an earthquake or ground contamination there's no other reasons they would have to come out like that.

Sometimes if their living habitat gets flooded they will come out. I have a bunch that live under my raised flower beds and they only time I see them is if I over water or move the beds. 

It always rains in the PNW this time of year.
We did get a little snow which is kind of unusual.
But they don't salt the roads or anything around here.