Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Ukshep

Deep freeze to invade central, eastern US this week

Ukshep    21,683

Piercing cold will send temperatures tumbling to dangerous levels for some across the central and eastern United States this week.

The impending cold shot threatens to be the most far-reaching and bone-chilling blast so far this season.

“After the first true cold shot of the year this past week, much of the northern Plains can expect a more formidable shot of arctic air again this upcoming week,” AccuWeather Meteorologist Max Vido said.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/deep-freeze-to-invade-central-eastern-us-next-week/70000242

“Temperatures from the northern and central Plains to much of the Midwest are likely to be 5 to 20 degrees Fahrenheit lower, on average, when compared to levels this past week,” AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Alex Sosnowski said.

I hope you are all ready! Call it bad timing!

Brio    1,038

It's been cold here all week, -20C or so and set to continue. But we're used to this and prepared for it. Not so much those that live in normally temperate climates.
I keep extra winter jacket and felt packs in my car all winter and there have been times I needed them.

Cryptic Mole    4,559

Been doing those little things over the past week to prepare like anti-freeze in the cars and removing the A/C units from the windows and winterizing everything else that needs to be done. Tuned up the weather station with new batteries both indoors and outdoors. Bought loads of batteries and flashlights and lanterns, etc. Firewood for the woodstove and fuel for the portable heaters if the power goes out because of winter storms which can be pretty severe here in the northeast as those nor'easters blizzards sometimes roar up the coast. I'm as ready as I'll ever be!

Ukshep    21,683
Just now, Cryptid Mold said:

Been doing those little things over the past week to prepare like anti-freeze in the cars and removing the A/C units from the windows and winterizing everything else that needs to be done. Tuned up the weather station with new batteries both indoors and outdoors. Bought loads of batteries and flashlights and lanterns, etc. Firewood for the woodstove and fuel for the portable heaters if the power goes out because of winter storms which can be pretty severe here in the northeast as those nor'easters blizzards sometimes roar up the coast. I'm as ready as I ever be!

Sounds like you are off to a good start :D

Cryptic Mole    4,559
18 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

Sounds like you are off to a good start :D

I do this every winter regardless. I also prepare for hurricane season so I'm pretty much prepared all year. I'm just a bit cautious when they start talking about the arctic express moving down from Alaska and Canada.

I had a few bad experiences over the years with some of the other properties I own when they were vacant into the winter. That's when I would leave the heat turned down because no rental coming in from the property. Just wanted to keep the house warm enough to stop the water lines from freezing. Well one time in one of my houses, I had 7 water line freezes and breaks after a complete renovation with all new sheetrock. Well, I'm pretty sure you realize what a mess I had. I fixed all those busted water lines myself and rehung all the new sheetrock needed.

I have since sold all those properties and now just own the home I live in now, but even here, I need to keep a watchful eye open as this is an older home even though much has been renovated. Especially since hurricane sandy where I needed to replace the entire roof with sheeting and roofing. Did the new siding and windows while I was at it. One can never be too careful, and preparing removes much of the stress when you know something bad is approaching. Do the best that you can, and then, make your stand!

1 hour ago, Cryptid Mold said:

Been doing those little things over the past week to prepare like anti-freeze in the cars and removing the A/C units from the windows and winterizing everything else that needs to be done. Tuned up the weather station with new batteries both indoors and outdoors. Bought loads of batteries and flashlights and lanterns, etc. Firewood for the woodstove and fuel for the portable heaters if the power goes out because of winter storms which can be pretty severe here in the northeast as those nor'easters blizzards sometimes roar up the coast. I'm as ready as I'll ever be!

I wish I had a woodstove or a fireplace for emergency heat.

5 hours ago, Ukshep said:

Piercing cold will send temperatures tumbling to dangerous levels for some across the central and eastern United States this week.

The impending cold shot threatens to be the most far-reaching and bone-chilling blast so far this season.

“After the first true cold shot of the year this past week, much of the northern Plains can expect a more formidable shot of arctic air again this upcoming week,” AccuWeather Meteorologist Max Vido said.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/deep-freeze-to-invade-central-eastern-us-next-week/70000242

“Temperatures from the northern and central Plains to much of the Midwest are likely to be 5 to 20 degrees Fahrenheit lower, on average, when compared to levels this past week,” AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Alex Sosnowski said.

I hope you are all ready! Call it bad timing!

Yes that sure did look nasty weather. That weather missed us up here in the high desert of Southern California they say it's going to be 69° today here generally it is very cold here by this time I'm glad it missed us that's all. And I am so sorry for the hardships this weather will cause. This is written with Dragon software did makes errors once in a while could not be me.  I finally got a Dragon that works I have three of them this is a very first one that works for me. I believe I was to be a warning to the world I have greatly failed in those efforts and I must say praise the Lord God Almighty praise the Lord Jesus Christ

21 minutes ago, timetraveler2015 said:

I wish I had a woodstove or a fireplace for emergency heat.

Don't forget storage of water because chances are know what ever happens you could be months without water I know one person who won't try and help i am not insurer he's going to leave

Quick1966    1,220
26 minutes ago, WorldWatcher said:

Yes that sure did look nasty weather. That weather missed us up here in the high desert of Southern California they say it's going to be 69° today here generally it is very cold here by this time I'm glad it missed us that's all. And I am so sorry for the hardships this weather will cause. This is written with Dragon software did makes errors once in a while could not be me.  I finally got a Dragon that works I have three of them this is a very first one that works for me. I believe I was to be a warning to the world I have greatly failed in those efforts and I must say praise the Lord God Almighty praise the Lord Jesus Christ

Man 69 degrees is nice! We just had some of that here in S.Fla but it's gonna warm up to 82 tomorrow. Sandal weather year round here

1 hour ago, WorldWatcher said:

I have

30 minutes ago, Quick1966 said:

Man 69 degrees is nice! We just had some of that here in S.Fla but it's gonna warm up to 82 tomorrow. Sandal weather year round here

It will be back to cold soon enough here; The other night it was 24 here.