Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Ukshep

Has my perspective changed regarding survival?

Ukshep    25,420

So back from the morning walk and i have been thinking. Is it really going to be that hard to survive for the sheeple when the shit hits the fan? Specifically ignoring population dense cities of course. I mean seriously survival is about as easy as it gets. I can explain it in simple terms.

Shelter?? shapes, triangles, basic kindergarten level education gives enough knowledge to understand the logistics and method of creating a rudimentary shelter. Kids love to play in mud. So do adults hehehe. Also good to build with. Point being shelter is not something anyone should EVER be dying from unless you are in the antarctic or some other with lack of materials.

And the final survival thought is on food, water. It comes down to very simple shit once again, find stuff. consume stuff. So basic!

So onto the thread title! Is it me. Or is this stuff so simple to do? it seems like no one would not be able to figure this out on their own. Or am i giving people way to much credit?

Cryptic Mole    5,168

Most survival is really common sense. Example: If you live in the city, will you grow a vegetable garden in your yard for all to see, or will you simply learn out of necessity how to grow things indoors? I grow mung bean sprouts all year round in a large jar in the corner of my kitchen. The great part is all I need is a large straight wide lid jar and some daily rinse water. That gives me close to one pound of healthy raw sprouts that I use in place of lettuce, and it takes only a few days. These sprouts are very high in protein where lettuce is not. In a survival situation, protein becomes paramount because you'll be eating much less.

It's not rocket science. Like I said, it just takes common sense coupled with a little practice and basic knowledge.

edit: There are hundreds of video on youtube on how to sprout. Forget all the fancy spouters that can be purchased. Nothing works better than a wide-mouthed straight jar.

Oh, and by the way @Ukshep , you are definitely giving people way too much credit!

Cryptic Mole    5,168

Most people will not be placed into those kinds of situations like you've stated simply because they have families with small children. Those kinds of situations are not survivable for kids in the colder weather. Most will remain home out of necessity and forced into the type of survival situation I've described above. Your scenario is great for the lone wolf, and when I was a young man only having the need to fend for myself, I had this survival knowledge. I spent much of my childhood living and camping out in the northeastern woods and forests with my dog. I practiced as well things like making acorn pancakes and eating still green cattails like corn boiled in skunk cabbage leaf. At first I had many failures, but as they say, "practice makes perfect." I did become very proficient.

But, at my age now, I'm sure I wouldn't make it out in the wild anymore. Especially during the winter weather. Besides, I just wouldn't do it. I would remain where I am and shelter in place... do or die.

I've already had offers from my buddies to go with them to a safe place out in the new jersey mountains, but have declined. It's even colder up there! I'll take my chances here. If I was younger, though, I most likely would have taken them up on their offer.