Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Cinnamon

Draining the Swamp: Ted Cruz and Ron DeSantis to Propose Constitutional Amendment on Term Limits

Cinnamon    24,844

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Rep. Ron DeSantis (R-Fla.) have revealed their plans to introduce a constitutional amendment that will impose term limits for both congressmen and senators.

In a joint op-ed for The Washington Post, the two Republican firebrands said that term limits would be an effective way for the new Republican administration to “drain the swamp.”

<snip>

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/12/09/ted-cruz-ron-desantis-propose-congressional-term-limit-legislation/

They'd better not start a concon right now! 

ANON   
ANON

2 four-year terms for senators and 4 two-year terms for congress which equals 8-years max.

Just like the president!

^^^^THIS^^^^

Cinnamon    24,844
9 minutes ago, PrincessButtercup said:

should be a max total though like...can't work as a congressman, then senator, then president.  8 years total service for elected officials of anything beyond mayor.

If we paid them a dollar a year, it would separate the wheat from the chaff, right quick. lol

Just now, Cinnamon said:

If we paid them a dollar a year, it would separate the wheat from the chaff, right quick. lol

I don't really think it would make a difference.  Most of the money they make from lobbying.  If we could figure out how to nip that in the bud, I mean...we sequester those on jury duty...I don't see how hard it would be to make something like this happen as well.

Cinnamon    24,844
Just now, PrincessButtercup said:

I don't really think it would make a difference.  Most of the money they make from lobbying.  If we could figure out how to nip that in the bud, I mean...we sequester those on jury duty...I don't see how hard it would be to make something like this happen as well.

There should be a ban on lobbyists. They can get into a CONgressman's office and take him/her to lunch or dinner with a phone call. You or I could sit outside their office until we turned mummified before they'd even notice we are there. Totally unfair advantage and a crooked job. 

You can make laws and ban lobbying all day long, but the only thing that will ever work is to cut them off 100% from corporate entity communications.  Severely limit any communications except as required for fulfilling their duties.  offshore banking is the sort of thing these people thrive on.

I've actually had to contact a congressman before, and I got a call back.  She spent 20 minutes on the phone with me trying to help figure out a way to resolve the issue fairly and quickly.  (most aren't this good, and I'm aware of that)

zero   
zero

I'd still like to see a repeal of the 17th amendment, but, at this point, term limits is better than nothing.

WhiteHorse    591

Absolutely no " special interest groups" foreign or domestic. Our government should not be used for commercial gain of any kind. Take the opportunity away for profit and corruption dries up. 

Anyone in a public servant capacity that gets caught exploiting the system for profit, personally or by proxy, gets all assets seized by forfeiture and terminated immediately. They also should not be allowed to be employed by any group or organization connected to any legislation they worked on. 

Isn't it amazing how Americans are right back where we started, in just a little over 200 years, struggling to escape the grasp of a tyrannical and corrupt government. 

zero   
zero

If Cruz is involved in this, it makes me suspicious, don't trust Cruz.

Maybe he is trying to head off Trump at the pass, push through failed legislation now, before Trump gets in, to some how block it in the future.

Cinnamon    24,844
1 minute ago, zero said:

Maybe he is trying to head off Trump at the pass, push through failed legislation now, before Trump gets in, to some how block it in the future.

What would motivate any of them to make term limits for themselves? I can't think of one reason for them to do it. Can't fall back on honestly, integrity or what's best for the people, that's a given. 

COBO Member    3,458
4 hours ago, zero said:

Or he's trying to head off Trey Gowdy before Trump's time in office is up.