Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

WINDINWATERS

FIRST LIGHT / LAST LIGHT

WINDINWATERS   
WINDINWATERS

Just to update on today's first light which reconfirms it is occurring much earlier than it suppose to. 
9th December supposed first light is 4.50 am for my region, fist light observed at 4.07 am.
I am aware the northern hemisphere is a differing season to the southern hemisphere but this must be happening in the northern part of our globe as well, can anybody confirm this EVENT. Love WINDY

Ukshep    25,404
7 minutes ago, WINDINWATERS said:

Just to update on today's first light which reconfirms it is occurring much earlier than it suppose to. 
9th December supposed first light is 4.50 am for my region, fist light observed at 4.07 am.
I am aware the northern hemisphere is a differing season to the southern hemisphere but this must be happening in the northern part of our globe as well, can anybody confirm this EVENT. Love WINDY

I'll try and remember to check in the morning. Will report from the northern hemisphere! once again if i remember :) i get sidetracked by tasks!

RabidWolf    1,174

The sun is where it is supposed to be in my sky right now.

Atmospheric water vapor can affect "first light" times. Cirrus clouds beyond the horizon can also act like a weak reflector causing first light to occur earlier than expected.

Better to use actual sunrise times for solar observations.

Jostler    2,222

With all the subjective elements in "first light" observations, not to mention variables, I don't see any potential for deriving useful data without very sensitive, sophisticated equipment and a HUGE data set built up over a very long time.

If I'm missing something here correct me, but just how do you mark "first light" and ensure you're doing it by the exact same method and standards morning by morning?  What IS first light?

Ukshep    25,404

Captains Log - 7:01 AM = United Kingdom

Checked twice awaiting sunrise. Expecting to get shit on by this pigeon that is eyeing me up.

Ukshep    25,404

Captains Log - 7:11 AM = United Kingdom

Realizing i need the toilet but cannot miss this sunrise. eyeing up the bucket in corner of room.

This mornings first light occurred at 4.03 am instead of 4.50 am however it was very different due to complete cloud cover.
At 3.48 am a beam of light shone from the horizon into the sky and lasted for about 10 seconds it came from the north eastern horizon. At 4.00 am a small area of white light began to form to the east where the sun arises and just lingered there.
At 4.20 am the main areas of light where to the southern and northern horizons with the southern horizon dominating until the sun light from the east took over.
The whole event was bizarre to say the least.
I can only surmise that nobody has even bothered to arise to confirm that first light is occurring much earlier than it is supposed to. 
I know myself although I am enjoying the specter of it all I m not sure how much longer I can keep getting up this early myself.
All the best, WINDY