Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Ukshep

Black Friday Coverage!

Post anything you find today regarding black friday. Flash mobs, violence at walmart etc. You catch my drift!

Lets start with past transgressions so we know what we are looking for.

It's pushing 9:00am on the US east coast so I'm sure we have video winding it's way toward YouTube here already too :)

I'm betting this Black Friday will be both the most violent  and the least profitable we've ever seen.  I am betting the sales numbers will be dismal no matter how hard the spin tries to make it seem otherwise.

Edit:  I bet Amazon and other on-line shopping figures break records as well :)

For yet another year, Black Friday has started off with a (deadly) bang, and as CBS reports, police are investigating a shooting outside of a South Jersey mall on Black Friday. It happened early this morning in South Jersey outside of the Macys department store at the Hamilton Mall, near Atlantic City. CBS 3’s Trang Do reports one person has died in the shooting.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-11-25/one-shot-dead-outside-south-jersey-mall-black-friday

My Black Friday will be spent on Amazon and Newegg. You couldn't pay me enough to go out to stores today. 

Gonna stay in my nice warm house close to my nice warm bathroom  (ate a lot yesterday ), and shop online. 

Two days ago we reported that according to a troubling - for retailers - survey conducted by Reuters/Ipsos, nearly two thirds, or 63% of US adults, did not plan to shop on Black Friday. It is unclear what exactly is causing this sharp slump in US consumerism: according to Christopher Baldwin, CEO of BJ's Wholesale Club, one excuse is that "Black Friday is no longer a one-day event; it has turned into a multi-week event." Another possible reason is that shellshocked by soaring Obamacare premiums, US adults simply have far less disposable cash which to splurge on holiday trinkets.

Confirming the pessimistic outlook on this holiday's spending season, Reuters reports that according to its own spot checks as well as those of reporters and industry officials, "store traffic remained subdued across the country."

"Initial reports show it's steady and not very busy at stores around the country," said Craig Johnson, president at retail consultancy Customer Growth Partners. The firm deployed 18 people nationwide to observe customer traffic. Rain hurt shopping at stores in the Northeast, Johnson said, but some retailers like Best Buy and Wal-Mart saw improved customer traffic at stores across the country.

At a JC Penney store in Manhattan, Terry Bodiford, visiting from South Carolina, said he did not feel deals were better than he had found online over the past few weeks.

Macy's and Best Buy on Chicago's Magnificent Mile were packed, but employees said most of the customers were tourists.

The lack of enthusiasm is troubling.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-11-25/black-friday-channel-checks-turn-red-store-traffic-subdued-across-country

1 hour ago, Talon said:

Two days ago we reported that according to a troubling - for retailers - survey conducted by Reuters/Ipsos, nearly two thirds, or 63% of US adults, did not plan to shop on Black Friday. It is unclear what exactly is causing this sharp slump in US consumerism: according to Christopher Baldwin, CEO of BJ's Wholesale Club, one excuse is that "Black Friday is no longer a one-day event; it has turned into a multi-week event." Another possible reason is that shellshocked by soaring Obamacare premiums, US adults simply have far less disposable cash which to splurge on holiday trinkets.

Confirming the pessimistic outlook on this holiday's spending season, Reuters reports that according to its own spot checks as well as those of reporters and industry officials, "store traffic remained subdued across the country."

"Initial reports show it's steady and not very busy at stores around the country," said Craig Johnson, president at retail consultancy Customer Growth Partners. The firm deployed 18 people nationwide to observe customer traffic. Rain hurt shopping at stores in the Northeast, Johnson said, but some retailers like Best Buy and Wal-Mart saw improved customer traffic at stores across the country.

At a JC Penney store in Manhattan, Terry Bodiford, visiting from South Carolina, said he did not feel deals were better than he had found online over the past few weeks.

Macy's and Best Buy on Chicago's Magnificent Mile were packed, but employees said most of the customers were tourists.

The lack of enthusiasm is troubling.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-11-25/black-friday-channel-checks-turn-red-store-traffic-subdued-across-country

It's funny how something so obvious is "unclear" to these people.  How about not wanting to get trampled for one reason?  And for another, I hated standing in lines at school and I hate standing in lines today.  Having someone rip something out of my hands because they want it?  Jail doesn't appeal to me either.  

I heard a rumor that Wal-Mart changed their Black Friday hours to 6 P.M. this year, anyone know if that's true?

15 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

I heard a rumor that Wal-Mart changed their Black Friday hours to 6 P.M. this year, anyone know if that's true?

I heard the same thing but no confirmation im afraid.

Also for thread! for lulz